Derby v Cheltenham (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why do they think things will change, given he has been here for (in managerial terms) a decent amount of time?

I cant speak for them I'm afraid.

Personally, I see last season as a team where he did not have his own players in. Think we should have made the play offs but lost out on the last day so not a major disaster.

This season, due to injuries, I don't think he's been able to put out his strongest line up. We're currently on a 6 match unbeaten run and will be in the play off positions and 7 points off top spot if we win our game in hand.

I see very little point in bringing in a new manager at this point.

Not really enjoying the football but think Warne will get us promoted this season.

3 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

No team with aspirations to finish higher than 12th would have been happy with our performance and/or result. Any better?

I've just watched the highlights myself and was expecting the chances missed (2nd half) to be easier than they were, tbh.

Barkhuizen - Results from a cross. The ball's a few inches too far behind him to be able to get his foot properly behind it, just under. Difficult

Bird - Results from a cross. It's a half volley from outside the area with a packed box. Would have to have been a great goal but not a clear chance. 

Çollins - Results from a cross. It's a thigh-height volley from a ball played slightly behind him and at speed. Similar to his Carlisle goal but the ball was moving quicker. Would have needed a very good finish, or a lucky bounce.

Çollins 2 - First bit of passing football on show where the opposition have to move around and leave gaps. Ultimately still results from a cross. Should have scored but very good goalkeeping to close down the space and angles quickly. "On another day" the ball hits the underside of the keeper's leg and goes in, from an identical finish.

Çollins 3 - Nearly the perfect Warne goal. Starts with a long ball, a couple of clever touches / passes in the middle of the pitch (heaven forbid) to a striker running onto the ball. Good first touch by Collins but the defender sticks to his task well, has the wherewithall to stick a leg out and make it a difficult strike. If Collins hits it in the optimal place for the ball to end up in the net, it hits that leg, so he has to hit the ball higher and bend it more than than he'd want. Not easy.

Although I wasn’t quoted this reads as a response to my earlier posts, if that is the case then yeah it’s more what I was getting at. 
I’ve not said yesterday was a good result, just that the performance across the 90 mins is not as bad as some are painting it to be. 
In hindsight the starting lineup was wrong (Warne’s fault), and the players just didn’t seem switched on first half  (something I believe is a shared accountability thing for Warne, his staff and the players themselves - Warne should motivate them to play, they should motivate themselves somewhat and be able to deliver on the wages and alleged superior skill sets).

Warne then actually did the thing I am consistently frustrated with him for not doing and made a proactive substitution at half time to change things. Better in the second half with the introduction of Bird, until Cheltenham changed their tactics and Warne reverted to type and couldn’t counter it, more baffling substitutions followed, but the chances were there for us to win it. 
Your analysis of the chances is fair, and backs up a couple of points about yesterday, we did create chances and failed to finish them (players/tactics), we could have played a different way to control the game further and press home our superiority (Warne), and Cheltenham were game and did their best to keep us out (credit to them considering how poor their season has been).

It is of course only my own opinion and not one many share it seems. I just don’t think as much as it’s 2 points dropped we were as bad as some others feel we were. 

14 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

This place is fun tonight! 
If Derby win it makes me happier. When we don’t it doesn’t. 

There have been the usual discussions about how no one can criticise anything because we are  ‘lucky to have a club’ or words to that effect. We are at the same stage after administration as we were under Arthur Cox. I can tell you for a fact we came closer to going out of business then than we did a couple of years ago but he managed to do OK didn’t he.

Paul Warne is out manager now. I don’t think he’s very good. For a comparison, Ipswich hired Paul Cook with an excellent record at this level. I thought it was a great appointment but despite spending money it didn’t work out. Ipswich didn’t wait 4 years, they made the decision and two years later look at them. Sacking a manger isn’t always a negative thing. Sometimes sticking with a manger is a good thing, look at Notts Forest last year. We all have our opinions, who knows who is right. Opinions are valid.

We all want to be happy. We all have opinions.Can’t we just air them, respectfully, on both sides of the argument, without being a knob though. Maybe not but I am tired of reading the same post over and over again. 

Your post is a bit “samey” I’m sure I’ve read the same sort of post over and over again on here!!!! 

……Oh why do you catch my eye then turn away……..

Up The Rams 🐏 

9 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Although I wasn’t quoted this reads as a response to my earlier posts, if that is the case then yeah it’s more what I was getting at. 
I’ve not said yesterday was a good result, just that the performance across the 90 mins is not as bad as some are painting it to be. 
In hindsight the starting lineup was wrong (Warne’s fault), and the players just didn’t seem switched on first half  (something I believe is a shared accountability thing for Warne, his staff and the players themselves - Warne should motivate them to play, they should motivate themselves somewhat and be able to deliver on the wages and alleged superior skill sets).

Warne then actually did the thing I am consistently frustrated with him for not doing and made a proactive substi bytution at half time to change things. Better in the second half with the introduction of Bird, until Cheltenham changed their tactics and Warne reverted to type and couldn’t counter it, more baffling substitutions followed, but the chances were there for us to win it. 
Your analysis of the chances is fair, and backs up a couple of points about yesterday, we did create chances and failed to finish them (players/tactics), we could have played a different way to control the game further and press home our superiority (Warne), and Cheltenham were game and did their best to keep us out (credit to them considering how poor their season has been).

It is of course only my own opinion and not one many share it seems. I just don’t think as much as it’s 2 points dropped we were as bad as some others feel we were. 

Was just a general musing tbh, I thought it was such a small part of my post that it didn't warrant tagging you in specifically as the butt of the post wasn't in response to anything you'd said.

I agree with what you've posted earlier and above. Although I wouldn't have said extreme hyperbole, because irony! 🙃

The reason I was so happy after Blackpool (until the usual crew started moaning about moaning and ridiculing anyone with a negative opinion at any stage of the match) was that I thought Warne's game management was almost spot on.

It had, as you say, reverted to type yesterday.

Edited by Kokosnuss

3 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

So people who go to the game aren't allowed an opinion, but neither are people listening in on the radio.

Who's allowed an opinion then? Let me guess, is it you?

The people I was referring to at the match were too incoherent to comment, the other one was based on a radio interview not the match. I hope you are researching your thesis better than this 😉

I wish Barks would stop saying on commentary of Collins "he's been putting away chances like that throughout his career". I know he has scored a lot but on the evidence of his Derby career I reckon he should be saying "he misses guilt edged chances like that every blooming week". Yes and I know he runs around a lot.....

4 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Your post is a bit “samey” I’m sure I’ve read the same sort of post over and over again on here!!!! 

……Oh why do you catch my eye then turn away……..

Up The Rams 🐏 

What have I said now? I never said we were a million miles away. You can’t moan can you? But everyone thinks he looks daft and everything’s spoiled again. It might be something and nothing if it’s what you want that matters. I mean, nobody’s twisting your arm. Anyone can make a mistake but some of us want all this and more so don’t be so hard on me, we are living and learning but Warne? Not from where I’m standing. Id query, why are you being so reasonable now? I’m not always so stupid. Once more, be honest, don’t you want all this and more? 

3 hours ago, Shuff264 said:

Better to be both 😄

Looking at a couple xG tables, they place us in 13th. So yea, currently overperforming...

Which becomes less likely the longer the period over which you measure.

So the likely outcome for this season, if performances don't improve is that we will slip a few places lower in the table.

Of course, there are arguments taking place between those who believe performances can improve from here and those who don't. I've no idea what that outcome will be.

3 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

What have I said now? I never said we were a million miles away. You can’t moan can you? But everyone thinks he looks daft and everything’s spoiled again. It might be something and nothing if it’s what you want that matters. I mean, nobody’s twisting your arm. Anyone can make a mistake but some of us want all this and more so don’t be so hard on me, we are living and learning but Warne? Not from where I’m standing. Id query, why are you being so reasonable now? I’m not always so stupid. Once more, be honest, don’t you want all this and more? 

That reminds me, I need to sort out my niece's wedding present.

But is the rest of it lyrics too? And if not, what do you mean?

Looking at the comments on Warne’s interview yesterday it’s clear more and more people want him out. With pundits even questioning him now, it wouldn’t surprise me if Warne got the dreaded ‘vote of confidence’ which we all know won’t end well. My ideal replacement would be John Eustace as it looks like Rooney will take over him. John knows the club and has Birmingham playing very well. Worked wonders last season. I’d rather us not go for another dinosaur that has won promotion from this awful league. There’s huge expectations at this club and the results have been poor overall but it seems like Warne is running out of silly answers and is tactically inept. He got it right against Blackpool/P’Boro but got it wrong too many times already this season. To get 2 points from Cambridge/Cheltenham is nothing short of embarrassing. 

Haven’t seen the game yet, nor indeed the highlights package, but very disappointing that we didn’t have the wherewithal to beat a very poor team.

Also disappointing to listen to our manager say that he was concerned about being overloaded by Cheltenham’s midfield, and his clear instructions were to bypass a midfield battle and just get it out wide quickly to the wings.  We have Bird, Hourihane, Smith and Fornah. All good ball players. Surely, to god though those kind of players can be up to going head to head and winning against Cheltenham’s Rag, Tag and Bobtail. If our sole tactical aim is to hope NML gets a few crosses in and Collins heads it adequately, we are in for a continuation of what we have seen ever since Warne took over - chaotic, basketball type football, with points ultimately gained from such tactics only sufficient to end up around 6th or 7th position.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Warne then actually did the thing I am consistently frustrated with him for not doing and made a proactive substitution at half time to change things. Better in the second half with the introduction of Bird, until Cheltenham changed their tactics and Warne reverted to type and couldn’t counter it, more baffling substitutions followed, but the chances were there for us to win it. 

Spot on mate , was at the game , we had enough chances to take all the points , don’t see how bad finishing can be used as a stick to beat Warne with

14 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Haven’t seen the game yet, nor indeed the highlights package, but very disappointing that we didn’t have the wherewithal to beat a very poor team.

Also disappointing to listen to our manager say that he was concerned about being overloaded by Cheltenham’s midfield, and his clear instructions were to bypass a midfield battle and just get it out wide quickly to the wings.  We have Bird, Hourihane, Smith and Fornah. All good ball players. Surely, to god though those kind of players can be up to going head to head and winning against Cheltenham’s Rag, Tag and Bobtail. If our sole tactical aim is to hope NML gets a few crosses in and Collins heads it adequately, we are in for a continuation of what we have seen ever since Warne took over - chaotic, basketball type football, with points ultimately gained from such tactics only sufficient to end up around 6th or 7th position.

I gave you  a like for these! 

download.jpeg.jpg