Post Cambridge Warne Out Poll

IslandExile

When should we part with Warne?  

316 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

my defence of Clough have been that rewriting history to suggest he wasn’t successful during his time here is just a lie. I’ve said I wouldn’t have him back now because the job is a different beast. 

I didn't say you in particular but there are no doubt fans who would have Clough Jnr back. Some still feel strongly that he was hard done to.

The point was 'how would you feel if Warne was sacked today'? 

13 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

No quality up top, other than that its not much different to anything else you've watched in the last 5 years

Agree. As soon as Didzy departure was official, I thought no quality left. Last year he sprinkled some magic and this is what got us near top 6  this year nothing there and we are nowhere near top 6

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I didn't say you in particular but there are no doubt fans who would have Clough Jnr back. Some still feel strongly that he was hard done to.

The point was 'how would you feel if Warne was sacked today'? 

I was gutted when he was sacked. Emailed Rush questioning it (which is what gripes me about accusations I’m all for sacking managers all the time). Obviously after about 4 weeks it seemed to be the right decision but it was raw at the time.

I wouldn’t feel happy - unless someone is generally unpleasant I wouldn’t take pleasure from them losing their job. I would feel like on balance, in my opinion, I don’t think we’re seeing the best of the players we’ve got available so I also wouldn’t be surprised. 

I guess until I saw the replacement I’d be indifferent. 

31 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Next run of fixtures……….six league games in October.

Blackpool, Cheltenham, Shrewsbury, Stevenage away

Exeter & Northampton at home.

If we’ve got any ambitions of getting out of this turgid division this season we’ve surely got to be top six by Halloween!

Skeleton Dance Halloween GIF by Squirrel Monkey

'Ring o ring o roses, a pocketful of posies, atishoo, atishoo, all fall down'

image.png.a2608c72f0129d46fb5c8eb23def70e8.png

I think I'm starting to lean more towards out. We should be having a squad that looks like it is now settling down and starting to take shape a couple of months into a season, but we still look disjointed and a bit lost. The football has never been massively to be taste, but nor is that necessarily a requirement, however the style is however we should look more coherent than we do. 

15 hours ago, davenportram said:

Not with the chances created that we missed. Chances that on another day would go in.

....yes, and on another day they did go in, which (kind of) made them less likely to go in on this day.

We beat Peterborough essentially because every chance that fell Waghorn's way, he took. That was an anomaly, and as was stated at the time, not something we can rely on happening again.  This followed games against Oxford and Fleetwood where he had also been more clinical than usual.

Normality has since resumed.

We've not got prolific strikers on the books; typically Waghorn, Washington, Collins will need 3-5 'good' (if not more) chances to score 1 goal. Waghorn & Collins missed 'headed sitters' in yesterday's game... but each was their ONLY chance of the match, so what is anyone expecting?

It's almost like we need our strikers to have an 80-100% conversion rate to get anywhere with Warne. Those strikers don't exist in League One. Even McGoldrick missed a few easy headers last season.

If we're only creating 3-4 good chances in a month's worth of football, with known-to-be patchy strikers getting on the end of them, you can't just turn around and say "on another day those chances go in" as an excuse for dropped points - we need to create more chances in the first place!

Edited by Kokosnuss

34 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I think I'm starting to lean more towards out. We should be having a squad that looks like it is now settling down and starting to take shape a couple of months into a season, but we still look disjointed and a bit lost. The football has never been massively to be taste, but nor is that necessarily a requirement, however the style is however we should look more coherent than we do. 

one of us GIF

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

As less than 180 have cast a vote it also shows how polls are pointless unless a reasonable number of people have taken part.

Well I struggle to find a single Rams fan who is enjoying this. There's a lot of unhappiness out there.   

Edited by PistoldPete

42 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Well I struggle to find a single Rams fan who is enjoying this. There's a lot of unhappiness out there.   

But you’re talking about your reading of the poll not the Rams fans you have spoken to. Also the poll isn’t whether we are enjoying the football or not. I’m not particularly enjoying the football at the moment but I didn’t vote for PW to be sacked either immediately or in the morning. Ask me again in a few weeks and my opinion may have changed. I’d love us to play scintillating football every week (or even occasionally would be nice) but, the priority at the moment is to get the results in order to get out of the division through promotion. Sadly, we’re get achieving either results (at home) or performances right now.

My gut feeling is that we’ll start to get the results (a view based on blind faith rather than any evidence) but I’m not sure about the good football we all want. I can live with winning ugly in the short term but not so much in future seasons.

Edited by Tamworthram

2 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

....yes, and on another day they did go in, which (kind of) made them less likely to go in on this day.

We beat Peterborough essentially because every chance that fell Waghorn's way, he took. That was an anomaly, and as was stated at the time, not something we can rely on happening again.  This followed games against Oxford and Fleetwood where he had also been more clinical than usual.

Normality has since resumed.

We've not got prolific strikers on the books; typically Waghorn, Washington, Collins will need 3-5 'good' (if not more) chances to score 1 goal. Waghorn & Collins missed 'headed sitters' in yesterday's game... but each was their ONLY chance of the match, so what is anyone expecting?

It's almost like we need our strikers to have an 80-100% conversion rate to get anywhere with Warne. Those strikers don't exist in League One. Even McGoldrick missed a few easy headers last season.

If we're only creating 3-4 good chances in a month's worth of football, with known-to-be patchy strikers getting on the end of them, you can't just turn around and say "on another day those chances go in" as an excuse for dropped points - we need to create more chances in the first place!

We create a lot more than 3-4 chances in every game we play. A lot more. 

32 minutes ago, davenportram said:

We create a lot more than 3-4 chances in every game we play. A lot more. 

We currently rank 15th for key passes per game, 17th from open play.

17th for total shots, 22nd for shots on target, 21st for shots in open play!

Prior to yesterday, we ranked 14th for expected goals in open play (7th with set pieces - 3 expected).

Aren't the alarm bells ringing yet?

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

But you’re talking about your reading of the poll not the Rams fans you have spoken to. Also the poll isn’t whether we are enjoying the football or not. I’m not particularly enjoying the football at the moment but I didn’t vote for PW to be sacked either immediately or in the morning. Ask me again in a few weeks and my opinion may have changed. I’d love us to play scintillating football every week (or even occasionally would be nice) but, the priority at the moment is to get the results in order to get out of the division through promotion. Sadly, we’re get achieving either results (at home) or performances right now.

My gut feeling is that we’ll start to get the results (a view based on blind faith rather than any evidence) but I’m not sure about the good football we all want. I can live with winning ugly in the short term but not so much in future seasons.

The evidence that the results will improve is not backed up by the facts that our performances at all . 

I really appreciate how we tried to play the game yesterday. It was one of the best performances I've seen at home for awhile under this manager and we was unlucky with the draw. I get the feeling this is too little too late for many supporters.

The home form is rubbish and has been for most of this year. I did think yesterday Warne woke up to the realisation that we have to control matches better. And on the whole I thought we looked dominant. But this should have been our game plan from the first whistle in August. He has bought more experienced players in the summer who don't possess a great deal of pace and power. Why did he suddenly think in the summer that an older squad could play more counter attacking football. With the technical footballers at his disposal, a controlled possession based plan was more than likely the best outcome this season. 

Early in the season, a 7 point gap to close already for the top 2, he's slowly running out of games in my view from an already frustrated fan vase. Each silly result chips away at his armour. If they carry on with a similar performance from yesterday and we have injured players returning, we're definitely a look in for the top 6. I just don't want Warne to give in so easily and revert back to his beloved wing back garbage system which has failed time and time again, otherwise we won't be going anywhere fast apart from plodding along in midtable.

21 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

The evidence that the results will improve is not backed up by the facts that our performances at all . 

Which is exactly what I said in my final paragraph and doesn't alter the fact that you were referring to the outcome of a poll. Remember, all I said to start this little exchange, is that the number of people who voted was too low to be able to draw any significance from it (or words to that effect).

Edited by Tamworthram

26 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We currently rank 15th for key passes per game, 17th from open play.

17th for total shots, 22nd for shots on target, 21st for shots in open play!

Prior to yesterday, we ranked 14th for expected goals in open play (7th with set pieces - 3 expected).

Aren't the alarm bells ringing yet?

Wow! Didn't know that. Ding-a-f***ing-ling!

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

I agree although I'm currently on the fence and waiting to see what happens before Christmas. I really like Paul Warne as a person and hope that he can sort things out before it all goes sour. It is sad to see talented players sometimes looking unsure of what they should be doing and their natural talents stifled. I'm really hoping it will all come good.