Derby v Cambridge Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

You obviously set your standards too low. 

Well lots of posters are saying it was a much improved performance and we should have won easily. You thought it was so bad you aren't going again until Warne has gone.

I don't your reasons that we "should be top 2, simple as that" but feel these expectations might be driving you dissatisfaction somewhat. 

2 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Performance was much better but the final ball and finishing was missing massively, on another day we win that 2 or 3 nil. Waggys header was a sitter, he had to score. We seem to have struggled vs half decent teams who just sit in at Pride Park, even under McClaren we had games like today.

The booing after the game was at the ref, there were chants to him after the boos & he was booed again as he walked down the tunnel.

As for Warne's post match interview, what he actually said was we was getting joy down the sides (which we were) but then decided to try & force passes through the middle (which we did) but thats where all Cambridge numbers were so it didnt work & that we should have kept going out wide as that was working....not sure how anyone can disagree with that? Everytime we went through the middle we lost the ball, Waggy barely madr himself available but we looked a threat when we got the ball out wide.

Nyambe & Nelson looked rock solid at the back & Fornah was brilliant in centre mid, the sort of player we have been missing. Id be tempted with him & Bird in the 2 with Hourihane in the 10 as he has the quality on the ball to score or create around the edge of the box.

1 loss in 7, 3 clean sheets in a row & the squad starting to get back fit - lets see how we look when we have the likes of Bird, Hourihane, Ward & JJ fully fit & available.

I do however think some fans wont be happy regardless of what happens on the pitch whilst Warne is in charge. Even if we won the league they would moan about something.

I purposely didn't read the forum until I was home and I'm so glad because you saved me the bother of posting earlier because its exactly what I would have said.

Every week its constant moaning about just launching the ball aimlessly, yet today we played the ball constantly on the floor.  Passing was fairly crisp and our control really good. Lots of angled balls between their backline but then our final ball was either poor, the shot blocked, we didn't attack the ball or it just didn't fall right.

Pretty much controlled the game and if we'd had a better striker and/or a bit more luck then we would have won 2 or 3 nil. Set pieces were pretty poor to be honest though.

The boos were aimed at the ref/linesman who were awful 2nd half.

I actually enjoyed the game other than our failure to score,  and its clear the agenda of a few regular posters is just to moan relentlessly, regardless thus rendering the match day thread almost pointless so I will avoid it in the future I'm afraid. 

Disappointed and of course 'we should be beating' Cambridge but we missed good chances and were the only team playing football.  

Edited by Chester40

1 hour ago, Barney1991 said:

Today was one of those days. On Tuesday, it could be the reverse. Waghorn scores two, we win and people are dreaming again. Why so much panic?

Because Waghorn or anybody else might not score at all, like today, and we lose and we're not dreaming again. It's not rocket science.

Many more positives than negatives for me, including:

* The defence looks solid

* New signings Nyambe and Fornah look excellent and John-Jules, albeit on little evidence, looks very good too

* Bird, Barkhuizen and Wilson are back in the squad

The biggest issue imo is a lack of pace and movement up front. A Sturridge type striker with anticipation and pace gets on the end of two or three of those crosses today. Collins is too cumbersome. When fit, I'd hope to see John-Jules leading the line but until then I'd like to see Brown on the bench as an option.

13 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Because Waghorn or anybody else might not score at all, like today, and we lose and we're not dreaming again. It's not rocket science.

In nine league games, today was the first time we haven’t scored.

Anyone would think we hadn’t scored since February the way you are carrying on.

16 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

In nine league games, today was the first time we haven’t scored.

Anyone would think we hadn’t scored since February the way you are carrying on.

Look at our league record since February. 11 points from our last 11 home games. It's appalling. Have you been hibernating? It's time you woke up.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

I'm really beginning to doubt myself having read a lot of stuff on social media and here since the game finished. It's a long 3.5 hour trip home from PP, so lots of time to mull it over and discuss with my fellow southern softie Ram I go to games with.

I really much prefer how we played today, and generally how we go about games, to some of the side to side and backwards 'crab football' that has been served up over previous seasons under various other managers. There have been times under past regimes when I've questioned why I travel so far for some the stuff that's been served up week in week out.

I'm not saying we are stroking it around like Man City, and although frustrating not to have converted the many chances today, I feel we are not far off. I remain slightly baffled by a lot of the anti-PW views, and just thought I'd put something mildly positive on here as to how things appear to me.

5 minutes ago, PrideParkhead said:

You're a major part of the problem. Accepting s****. Enjoy it while us  people in touch with reality Enjoy our weekends 

What’s the reality?

We’ve had a less than spectacular start to the season? Results have been mixed? Performances have largely been poor? Who has said this is not the case?

Everyone can see the reality. Some people are missing the fact that it’s a 46 game season. Absolutely nothing has been won or lost and nothing has been decided. Portsmouth are certainly not champions and we are certainly not doomed.

Everyone wants better results, better performances and better players, but we are where we are and this will take time.

14 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Look at our league record since February. It's appalling. Have you been hibernating? It's time you woke up.

Hibernating? No, though I wish I had been through the majority of 2009-2013.

We finished 7th by a single point. We are 12th after nine games, not 39.

Appalling? Why do people use such powerful language to describe the performance of a club that were moments from extinction less than 18 months ago and is still clearly going through a recovery period?

What’s appalling is the lack of patience and perspective from some of the fanbase.

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

What’s appalling is the lack of patience and perspective from some of the fanbase.

We've new owner, no debt as such, a good budget, a business plan agreed with the EFL, a decent squad...and we've spent over a year going nowhere. 

What are we waiting for? 😄

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Hibernating? No, though I wish I had been through the majority of 2009-2013.

We finished 7th by a single point. We are 12th after nine games, not 39.

Appalling? Why do people use such powerful language to describe the performance of a club that were moments from extinction less than 18 months ago and is still clearly going through a recovery period?

we dropped down from 2nd to finish 7th though, and now we're down to 12th. Theres a pattern there.

People probably use the word appalling to desribe the performances because they are exactly that. We have only had 24 shots on goal all season in the league. Across 9 matches that is absolutely shocking considering everything we have going for us, squad, fanbase, training facilites, etc.

What does it matter that we were saved from extinction 18 months ago. Football moves on incredibly quickly and 18 months is a long time in that regard. 

The performances are boring, way too defensive, lack control, cohesion, predictable, and very limited tactically. We're not even getting enough results to make it bearable.

Do you not think the fans deserve a bit better, paying hard earned money every week to watch this? Your calling some of us appaling for lacking patience yet we've been watching this for over a year now. 

25 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

What’s the reality?

We’ve had a less than spectacular start to the season? Results have been mixed? Performances have largely been poor? Who has said this is not the case?

Everyone can see the reality. Some people are missing the fact that it’s a 46 game season. Absolutely nothing has been won or lost and nothing has been decided. Portsmouth are certainly not champions and we are certainly not doomed.

Everyone wants better results, better performances and better players, but we are where we are and this will take time.

Paul Warne.  Said the performance today was really good.

Decent enough performance until we got to the final pass. They hardly ever reached a white shirt. 12 shots to their 4. 2 on target to their 1. Very frustrating afternoon. Had we got one, I feel we would have got a few but we didn't get that all important 1st goal. IMO our best 90 minutes of the season. Really need to find our touch in the final third.

6 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Decent enough performance until we got to the final pass. They hardly ever reached a white shirt. 12 shots to their 4. 2 on target to their 1. Very frustrating afternoon. Had we got one, I feel we would have got a few but we didn't get that all important 1st goal. IMO our best 90 minutes of the season. Really need to find our touch in the final third.

This. 👍