Derby v Cambridge Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

5 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The thing is, it’s entirely dependant on what they do, because we just do the same thing over and over again without reacting to what they do.  Yesterday, they ceded the middle of the park to us and tried to defend their 18 yard box. Which they did very well.  So we had lots of aimless possession in the middle but didn’t have the craft to break them down.  In other games they might press us high and we get forced into lumping it long to beat the press. But none of it’s down to what we’re doing.

You mean we couldn't react to their playing style? Or play our Plan A better? Who was in the middle of our park?

Edited by RoyMac5

7 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Hardly!

Hourihane does little else but with him absent set pieces were dire throughout

Have you ever thought that might be because Waghorn and Sibley never get to take set pieces in a match situation? They are long out of practice.

Sibley has reliably taken excellent set pieces for Derby since junior level.

But his touch is sadly absent with no pre-season and very few match minutes so far this season. He'll be discarded again well before he gets time to build up match fitness. Get yourself a Club who loves you, Louie, look what it's done for Morgan Whittaker! 

Waghorn is better with central set pieces but I remember him taking them all for Ipswich back in the day and looking lethal. Is it age or lack of practice that has caught up with him?

I doubt Clowes will pay off Warne to leave Derby before his contract expires in 2026. While Clowes did save the club from bankruptcy by investing millions, I doubt he would want to pay off Warne.

Warne's attempts to strengthen the team during the summer have proven unsuccessful, with some of the players he brought in receiving high salaries but without any transfer fees and being at the end of their careers.

It's difficult to improve the club without investing in the players, and it's unreasonable to expect the club to be promoted soon without doing so.

If Warne is paid off, Clowes will have to pay another manager who will likely require a long-term contract and transfer funds.

Relying solely on high salaries to attract players is unlikely to result in promotion for the club. Improving the team's performance is crucial to have any chance of promotion or reaching the playoffs this season after a demoralizing loss to Cambridge.

It's unclear if the current team is capable of doing better.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You mean we couldn't react to their playing style? Or play our Plan A better? Who was in the middle of our park?

Basically, yesterday they let us play through the middle. They were happy to let Smith and Fornah get on the ball and pass it, because they didn’t want to get into chasing us round and getting caught out. They sat deep, blocked crosses, man marked strikers and dealt with everything we got into their box.  They were happy with us doing what we did yesterday because they thought they could deal with it.  Other teams have pressed us high and that forced us into going longer.  Other teams have done different things and we’ve just gone along with that too.

We don’t seem to go out with a plan in mind of what we want to do, just some vague idea about running around a lot and getting some crosses in.  So what actually happens in the pitch is quite often down to what the other team allow us/force us into doing.  I don’t believe Warne actively instructed his players to play like that yesterday (as demonstrated by his post-match comments about not playing through the middle), so I don’t really buy any of the comments about us playing better yesterday.

7 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

In fairness were you actually at the match? We looked in control but wouldn't say we deserved to win easily. We basically created nothing at all in the final third. I think a lot of fans are reaching the end of their tether with the crap performances and the showman interview after a lacklustre display. 

Oh no, I wasn't at the game. I was commenting more on the disparity of comments on this thread. I've seen other posts about all the chances we should have taken, then contrasting this with the poster who is now refusing to go to another Warne match.

I never actually listen to manager interviews really, so don't really have any thoughts on what Warne is like as a person, or the character that Warne may, or may not, become when interiewed. I know people take manager's comments very seriously though, it's just a part of the game I'm not that bothered about.

57 minutes ago, angieram said:

Have you ever thought that might be because Waghorn and Sibley never get to take set pieces in a match situation? They are long out of practice.

Sibley has reliably taken excellent set pieces for Derby since junior level.

But his touch is sadly absent with no pre-season and very few match minutes so far this season. He'll be discarded again well before he gets time to build up match fitness. Get yourself a Club who loves you, Louie, look what it's done for Morgan Whittaker! 

Waghorn is better with central set pieces but I remember him taking them all for Ipswich back in the day and looking lethal. Is it age or lack of practice that has caught up with him?

Absolutely spot on.

On a related note (I considered a new thread for this) how did we end up 11 days after Lincoln with Sibley looking like a bit-part-at-best player and Wilson only worth 5 minutes? I get it that Lincoln played a weak team, and Nyambe has come in since then, but surely Sibbo and Wilson have been worth at least a few more minutes and in the positions they played well during that game? (In Sibley's case, after he switched to his preferred central position).

Edited by jameso
typo

5 minutes ago, jameso said:

Absolutely spot on.

On a related note (I considered a new thread for this) how did we end up 11 days after Lincoln with Sibley looking like a bit-part-at-best player and Wilson only worth 5 minutes? I get it that Lincoln played a weak team, and Nyambe has come in since then, but surely Sibbo and Wilson have been worth at least a few more minutes and in the positions they played well during that game? (In Sibley's case, after he switched to his preferred central position).

Personally I think PW needs to chose between Wilson and Nyambe and stick with it until 1 drops out. Tried to shoehorn Wilson in and ended up going 5 at the back which was extremely puzzling. 

12 minutes ago, jameso said:

Absolutely spot on.

Thought it was absolutely crazy how we ended up when Washington and Sibley came on yesterday.

Washington as a 9, Collins as a sort of 10 and Sibley on the wing. Surely Washington on the left, Sibley 10 and Collins staying where he was makes so much more sense?

16 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Personally I think PW needs to chose between Wilson and Nyambe and stick with it until 1 drops out. Tried to shoehorn Wilson in and ended up going 5 at the back which was extremely puzzling. 

Agreed - Wilson for Nyambe would have been an attacking switch (even though Nyambe had a good game, including going forward).

I've no issue with preferring Nyambe for away games because he's obviously more reliable defensively than Wilson.

I wouldn't have minded Wilson for NML yesterday simply for the fresh legs! (whether as a sub or even from the start, since NML has looked a little tired of late).

13 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Thought it was absolutely crazy how we ended up when Washington and Sibley came on yesterday.

Washington as a 9, Collins as a sort of 10 and Sibley on the wing. Surely Washington on the left, Sibley 10 and Collins staying where he was makes so much more sense?

Yes, not that I've ever (knowingly) seen him play there but I understood Washington can play wide - a bit like Nuge used to do for Leicester. Would certainly prefer him to go there than for Sibley to do it!

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Felt very much 'nearly' yesterday which is why some of the stuff being posted is ridiculous and tbh just plain wrong. 

Agree with that... with the exception of the last three words, as I don't feel it's my place to tell people how to react. 

I'd say it was:

Somewhat promising.
Definitely frustrating.
Definitely NOT terrible/clueless/lacklustre/inept etc, etc.
Not a time for ripping up contracts and/or paying off employees.
Not a time for fans to start throwing season tickets in the bin, or making a conscious vow to stay away etc, etc...

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I’ll agree that it was a relief that we never felt like conceding. For me to have been as optimistic as you are moving forwards I’d have needed to have seen us create a bit more (even if it didn’t lead to a goal).

2 decent heading opportunities (I’d only say Waghorn’s was clear cut) and a runaway train style run with NML for 2 thirds of possession is slim pickings. 

I’d agree that it was much easier to watch than when he creates as you call it a basket ball match. 

The chances we did or didn’t create were on the players individually rather than a systematic error - in my opinion. I would guess that we had more final third entries in the game against Cambridge than we have in any other game this season and quite significantly more.

We worked the ball into crossing opportunities brilliantly but it just didn’t seem to do much with them, that’s on the players decision making and the movement of the strikers. On another day, we win the game comfortably, but it was just one of those days. For me, it was just good to see us dominate a game, regardless of the result.

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I’ve said time and time again I go into every match full of optimism and with a fresh slate. I never go into a game criticising the team and Warne before a ball is kicked. 

I think the frustrations for many boil down to it taking us until basically October to try and dominate and control a match? 

If this was the plan v Wigan in that first match just think how much further along we’d be by now? 

That’s where I’m still a bit frustrated. It feels like ‘early signs are positive’ shouldn’t be said as we approach October? 

Anyway if we play like that in every game we’ll win most of our matches when the quality in the final third shows and we’ll draw/lose some where our quality is missing. Either way it’s easier not to concede when we have complete control of the game which was a positive. 

That's where it all falls down,we have no quality in the final third.the defence is solid,midfield ok,but the best defence in the world is not going to win you games if we can't score.we create very little so you can't afford for waghorn and collins to waste what few chances they have,we need better and should have invested in better

45 minutes ago, jameso said:

Agreed - Wilson for Nyambe would have been an attacking switch (even though Nyambe had a good game, including going forward).

I've no issue with preferring Nyambe for away games because he's obviously more reliable defensively than Wilson.

I wouldn't have minded Wilson for NML yesterday simply for the fresh legs! (whether as a sub or even from the start, since NML has looked a little tired of late).

I was surprised, given Nyambe himself has said that he’s a more defensive RB, how often he was in an advance role and how well he played there. Very solid and a great addition. 

I’d also like to see Wilson given a chance instead of NML. Yes what Wilson plans doesn’t always come off, but I thought NML was generally poor yesterday. For a player of his experience his decision-making wasn’t great.

Edited by DiggerB