Derby v Cambridge Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

10 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Personally I think PW needs to chose between Wilson and Nyambe and stick with it until 1 drops out. Tried to shoehorn Wilson in and ended up going 5 at the back which was extremely puzzling. 

Not puzzling at all - its what Warne does. If he can’t start the team up at the start with 3 or 5 at the back, he will flip to that option later on in the game, especially if we are ahead in the game, or like yesterday after we had stormed our way to nil nil!

20 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

If you have no appreciation of what Nigel Clough (2009-13) did for this club, I can only say that you would fall into the category of supporters who his father referred to as 'blind idiots' when he managed our club. If you think that what you are watching under Paul Warne at the moment is acceptable, I can assure you that Brian Clough would have called you 'a blind idiot' again.

Having said this, I hope and trust that you enjoy good vision. If not I am sorry and fully sympathetic to your problem.

I have never said it is acceptable. I have said we are a work in progress and things will improve given some time and with some fine tuning.

You have an affinity for Nigel Clough. Did people expect him to have everything figured out in 08-09 or 09-10? The frustrations only really started to kick in the following season when we slumped from 4th to 19th and lost to Crawley in the FA Cup.

Warne has only just had his first proper transfer window and his first proper attempt at bringing in his own players. He has had 11 competitive games with his own group, a group which has also been heavily hit by injuries.

We have won 5 and lost 4 and we are still very much in touching distance of the top 6.

If we win the next two v Blackpool and Cheltenham, we are right back in the pack of top 6 contenders alongside Bolton, Barnsley and Peterborough where you would expect us to be.

Is it really appalling? For someone who has watched us for 50 plus years, it is a strong statement to make.

There is hope lying ahead of us. A Cambridge fan got talking to me as I walked to the car and he was happy with the result. He admitted both teams were a bit soft up front, but reckoned that they had created a couple of really good chances in the first half. Hopefully I disguised my shock/guffawing at hum, because all the did first half was hit two long hopeful balls which went out for goal kicks before their guy could get near it!

If that is “really good chances” then we have got a good chance of scoring more goals than Cambridge before the season is out!

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Between December and the end of February, we won 7 out of 9 home games, a run of games where we played our best and most clinical football. We were almost faultless. Was that really going to last?

Towards the end of the season, we won one and drew three of our final six home games. The only performance and result that was really genuinely poor and irredeemable was v Fleetwood. 

With Shrewsbury and MK Dons, we pressed self destruct and threw away four points after being in control. With Portsmouth, we came out flying but couldn’t capitalise and ended up having to battle back for a draw. Even against Ipswich, the game hinged on Cashin’s disallowed goal which could have turned the game in our favour after Ipswich had been in control. Those results could have been much different.

Did we deserve just one win in 6? I am not convinced and when you think about it, if things had been slightly different that’s an extra six or seven points that would put a completely different spin on the end of the season. So again, what’s appalling there?

This season, we have won 1 in 5. The way you are carrying on you would think we have lost four in five and been completely outclassed each and every time. The Wigan game could have been a draw if we hadn’t made such critical mistakes. The two draws could have been wins had we taken our chances v Cambridge and kept our heads in the dying seconds v Portsmouth. Would it look so ‘appalling’ if we had three wins and a draw from five?

2 wins in X amount of games it might be, but you can use stats in isolation to paint whatever picture you wish.

We had these nearly moments under Cocu but the promise never came to fruition. 

All I know is that even in the admin season when we had King Colin channelling his inner Ric flair and Sam Baldock up top we’d draw/win at home no worries. Now it’s a struggle all around in a lower division. 

57 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I have never said it is acceptable. I have said we are a work in progress and things will improve given some time and with some fine tuning.

You have an affinity for Nigel Clough. Did people expect him to have everything figured out in 08-09 or 09-10? The frustrations only really started to kick in the following season when we slumped from 4th to 19th and lost to Crawley in the FA Cup.

Warne has only just had his first proper transfer window and his first proper attempt at bringing in his own players. He has had 11 competitive games with his own group, a group which has also been heavily hit by injuries.

We have won 5 and lost 4 and we are still very much in touching distance of the top 6.

If we win the next two v Blackpool and Cheltenham, we are right back in the pack of top 6 contenders alongside Bolton, Barnsley and Peterborough where you would expect us to be.

Is it really appalling? For someone who has watched us for 50 plus years, it is a strong statement to make.

My focus on the word appalling was directed towards our appalling home form which has seen us take just 11 points from the last 11 League games at Pride Park; 11 home games is a fraction short of half a season. When have you seen a team who averaged a point a game at home throughout a season win promotion? If we win the next two games away from home we might close the gap a little on our current eight and seven points deficit behind Portsmouth and Oxford or we might simply maintain it. But if we continue our appalling home run when we face Exeter and Northampton later this month we will likely extend the deficit to those above us. So really we need to turn around the ever lengthening run of appalling home form as soon as possible if promotion this season is to remain a realistic hope. We need to get rid of all of your ifs and deal with the reality because, as they say, if my auntie had balls, she'd have been my uncle.

Just on the subject of reality, we have not won five and lost four but we've won four, drawn two and lost three; the extra point you pinched could be the difference between promotion or not.

Where did I say I had an affinity for Nigel Clough as you say above? I didn't say that. Like all of the 30 managers before Paul Warne who I have seen in my 62 years of watching Derby, I had an appreciation of him. I appreciated his dad the most and Tommy Docherty the least; Nigel's ranking comes somewhere in between but clearly I appreciated him more than you did. Were you one of those who labelled him 'Non-League Nigel', despite his successful playing career in the top tier, winning a few cups and playing 14 times for England? Just asking. By the way, Johnny Russell rated him recently as the best manager he's played for and said that after he was sacked he became increasingly disillusioned and finally felt let-down by Derby, so he left for the States. So it seems Johnny appreciated him more than you at least.

And before you jump to any more wrong conclusions about what I said, Paul Warne isn't in my rankings yet because his work here is not complete. In the poll, I voted that sacking him should not even be considered because he's part of the David Clowes project and only the owner's wish matters. Like every other manager of the club he will continue to have my full support but I will continue to call the appalling home form appalling for however long it remains appalling.

25 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

The boo'ers round me were aiming it at the ref. What a colossal pile of poncy Atwell he was.

I'm certain it was the ref. Those who ever boo the players only seem to turn that way when we've lost.

9 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

...And before you jump to any more wrong conclusions about what I said, Paul Warne isn't in my rankings yet because his work here is not complete. In the poll, I voted that sacking him should not even be considered because he's part of the David Clowes project and only the owner's wish matters. Like every other manager of the club he will continue to have my full support but I will continue to call the appalling home form appalling for however long it remains appalling.

That's the flaw in your logic, what if Clowes knows as much about appointing football managers as Mel Morris? 😄

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Have we actually looked like we're controlling any of these games though? The 'we'd have won if we hadn't lost' stuff is vastly amusing.

To be fair we also see the same we would have lost if we hadn’t won coming from the anti warne side of the argument 🤷🏻‍♂️, results are results and they will decide whether warne keeps his job ,

at this point the task warne has is to get the home results to match our away results , again this is where I say the question is can warne adjust to being at a club like derby compared with Rotherham,

I bet not too many clubs and they’re fans went to Rotherham and fought for and celebrated a draw like it was they’re Wembley cup final 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

Oh and my impression in the eaststand was that the boos were for the ref who looked ok early on letting the game flow but was not too good second half 

I didn't think he made any major mistakes. I think only playing 3 minutes additional time annoyed everyone because of the general frustration of the game 

5 minutes ago, sage said:

I didn't think he made any major mistakes. I think only playing 3 minutes additional time annoyed everyone because of the general frustration of the game 

Yep can go with that , he wasn’t majorly poor it just felt they got a fair few decisions when we we’re going forward desperate to score , as you say frustrating afternoon and if you looked at the ref in the cold light replays after the game perhaps he was ok but at the game you buy into the atmosphere 

10 minutes ago, sage said:

I'm not sure he should've added much more? Can't remember any major stoppages and no goals. Only 3 sets of substitutions made second half as well

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The boo'ers round me were aiming it at the ref. What a colossal pile of poncy Atwell he was.

Was that South Stand? That was the only place I could hear booing coming from, and it seemed to me it was aimed at the ref. 

12 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

I'm not sure he should've added much more? Can't remember any major stoppages and no goals. Only 3 sets of substitutions made second half as well

I didn't say it was wrong, just that people were hoping for more.

I don't think he made enough errors to warrant booing.

I would add that Waghorn is increasingly trying to 'buy' free kicks, some efforts convince fans more easily than refs.

12 hours ago, Jourdan said:

What is really appalling is the level of refs in L1. Folk all over social media complaining about the team when we've just played our best 90 minutes of the season so far. They are crying in their beer because we aren't clear at the top. New players not gelling yet. New players getting injured again. 2 of them needing surgery. New players, 4 or 5 of whom missed huge chunks of last season with serious injuries. 1 of whom has not performed well at all for us so far. Attacking players who blow hot and cold. Sibley got a start, wide left again rather than in the #10 role. Had a reasonable game and got dropped to the bench. When will he get a run of games at #10?  I'd have Waggy up top and Collo on the bench.

Looking back at games earlier this season. Disallow Wyke's winner for Wigan and it should have been. Give us the other 2 penalties we should have had at Bolton and give them a free kick for the foul outside the box instead of the penalty they got given. That would probably have seen us 4 points better off and in 3rd place. Had that happened there would be very few "Warne out" comments flying about. It really is all about the fine margins and, given a fair shake against Wigan and Bolton we'd be right up there. Saturday's game might be a signal that we're getting close to where we would like to be.

Blackpool away tomorrow. they are a point and a place above us. They won 0-1 at Barnsley on Saturday. Yoo many Rams fans thinking it's a walkover. It's not. Cheltenham away on Saturday. A big win on paper but they have just the one point and no goals so far. That looks like the typical DCFC banana skin waiting to happen, especially with them having Curt to score from a corner..... Having said that, less than 3 points from the 2 games would be poor, 4 points very good and 6 points excellent. UTR.

21 minutes ago, sage said:

I didn't say it was wrong, just that people were hoping for more.

I don't think he made enough errors to warrant booing.

I would add that Waghorn is increasingly trying to 'buy' free kicks, some efforts convince fans more easily than refs.

I know you weren't, just adding I thought it was pretty fair.

Thought the ref was pretty good myself, at least compared to some others we've had.