Is Warne living on borrowed time?

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

I’m not saying sack him but don’t kid yourself, there’ll be tens upon tens of applications for our job. We are still massive in terms Of club size and ambition. Facilities etc. 

Thousands of applicants, maybe.  Football management sounds much more fun than finance; I might apply - I've watched thousands of games over the years, how hard can it be.  

Number of applicants is a totally irrelevant point.  The core question is how many of them have the requisite skill experience and be within our cost bracket, not withstanding the three year payoff of Warne?  They will need to be better than Warne by at least the cost of three years payoff and the new salary they will take.

Very few, if any, applicants remain.  That is the point.

1 hour ago, Warwick Ram said:

From what I heard in the interview Warne pretty much threw the players under the bus.

He did nothing of the sort.

It was a mistake of his to decide to go on a long, unstructured & rambling rant where he shared openly every thought in his head at that moment in time.

However, the point he kept coming back to is that it's his responsibility.

Just looked at the squad we had last time we got promoted from this division in 1986.

The comparison to the squad we have now is eye-watering.

GK: Steele, Wallington

Def: Blades, Buckley, Hindmarch, McLaren, Palmer

Mid: G. Williams, Micklewhite, Gregory, Thomas, McLaren

For: Gee, Davison, Christie

13 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Bookies odds = amount of money wagered on the team.

Bookies odds do not = probability of the team winning

I'm not sure that is entirely correct.

This is taken from Bookies.com

These days, betting odds compiling is about number crunching and using databases of information to set the market. Traders will analyze dozens of sports to correctly assess the probability of every outcome. The vig is then applied to the price, which helps set the bookmaker’s price.

For instance, it might be as simple as analyzing the home team’s previous results compared to the away team’s form. By running the numbers through mathematical models, odds compilers

Ultimately the question is ‘is our team currently greater than the sum of the parts?’ 

If the answer is no then the manager is adding no value to the team. 

He seemingly always managed to get a team playing as a greater unit than the sum of the parts at Rotherham so has shown he is capable of it but he hasn’t managed it yet for us. 

12 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I was always told, if you're in a hole, stop digging. You appear to be looking for spare shovels.

I have played football to a level that gives me a very good understanding about how a managers decisions impact the team, however to try and pin individual errors on the manager is something I've never seriously encountered as a player, manager or fan. 

So I'll leave you to your silence and advise you to throw away your spade

Just because you accuse me of digging a hole it doesn't mean I am.

A classic sign of someone who's lost the argument and so tries to ridicule the opponent rather than prove them wrong. I believe they call it "a c-word's trick"

What a pathetic post. One which you can 'shove' right up your arse.

Edited by Kokosnuss

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Got to start wondering why those three are so irreplaceable, except Didzy's goals that is. When Warne has commented on certain players like Didzy or Waggy he's always surprised that they aren't what he thought they would be. I suggest that is making recruitment a bigger problem than it needs be.

Maybe they're not irreplaceable  but perhaps their replacements just need a bit of time to get into their groove and start performing as a team. That's the potentially slim hope I'm clinging to but I can't make a judgement on until they've had a bit of time.

8 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

There are plenty of managers about, but it is a merry-go-round.  I don't think Clowes wants that for this club.

LR was a hangover from a previous regime, but was an obvious option (I disliked his tactics, but thought he deserved a season to show what he could do).  Not sure he required any major payoff or anything like that.  Warne would be very expensive.

The second point on budget is unknown.  The EFL "loosened" restrictions, not eliminated then,  We don't know what restrictions we are under.  A three year payoff of a manager is going to dent any business plan.  Let's say we were three or six months into the season - you may have a point.

At the moment, we are one real game in.  There is much to do.  But chucking the manager at this stage sounds like madness.  The tactics need to be worked on, improved on.  Same, too, the selection.  But that is what he is paid for; getting rid of him without giving him the ability to experiment is unreasonable.

If something isn't working with the chance of improvement being slim, you're always better off cutting your losses and find a better replacement before the damage becomes too great. You should never stick with someone due to not wanting to be 'one of those clubs'.

All evidence pointed towards manager compensation fees being excluded from the business plan when we recruited Warne. That would likely be the case in dismissing him too. It would be foolish of all involved to not be allowed to sack a manager.

The irony in this is that our defence is supposed to be our strength. Now maybe with a more organised manager e.g. Rowett they would look solid as a rock. 

But I look at our midfield and become underwhelmed. Nobody in there to score a worldie when the chips are down. 

As for our forwards it’s a mixed bag. No number 1 striker like Martin or Howard. NML, Sibley and Ward all ‘exciting’ but we’re playing 2 up top. 

Is it the restrictions fault? Warne’s? Recruitments? Or the market? 

We’ve lost to two of our rivals already and I wouldn’t back us against Barnsley, Bolton or Portsmouth. We’ve gone backwards.

This isn’t me saying Warne out but any optimism (mine was limited anyway) is running away.

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If something isn't working with the chance of improvement being slim, you're always better off cutting your losses and find a better replacement before the damage becomes too great. You should never stick with someone due to not wanting to be 'one of those clubs'.

All evidence pointed towards manager compensation fees being excluded from the business plan when we recruited Warne. That would likely be the case in dismissing him too. It would be foolish of all involved to not be allowed to sack a manager.

Presumably, DC hasn’t yet come to the conclusion that the chances of improvement are slim despite the informed opinions he may have read on this forum. 😀

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Ricky Gervais’ character in the office is a hapless manager who believes he’s better than he is and makes terrible jokes that never land. He thinks his staff all like him, they don’t. 
Some people are drawing that comparison to Warne. 

Ta.

12 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Was just thinking the same thing. Lots of posters on here obviously with first hand experience of been in a profesional sports team by the sound of it. They know exactly what the manager should and shouldn't do. 

Were football fans always such drama queens or is a modern disease. Were people sending notes on pigeons calling for Clough (Brian) out after a few games? Were people faxing Radio Derby after we were thrashed vs Tranmere under the Bald Eagle?

Does anyone remember a recent owner who kept sacking managers?

Actually supporters , or quite a few, were moaning in Brian Cloughs first season in charge when we went backwards a bit. Its certainly not a new thing but I guess social media and internet forums accent alot more and give a broader platform. 
For what its worth I dont think I have ever been at any game where some sections of support didnt vent on a team, player, manager during the match. I started going to games early 70s regularly. 

Regarding this current manager Im not really sure what to think. I get that he has new players and it could take time to gel or gather momentum. Arthur Cox had a slow start and look what happened… as an example.

But… these errors so far this season for goals we have conceded and the manner of that first half last night! They were serious ” Wows” for me… 

Managing a club of Derbys size in league 1 comes with pressures different to the smaller clubs. Warne had better get used to that. 

Im over from Sweden with my lad for Saturdays game v Burton… positive for this still and hoping to be happy lad and dad heading back to Derby by tea time. 

2 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

I thought I said it was a dreadful performance and agree re the defending. You can’t call for a Managers head after 1 league game. Will discuss again @5pm Saturday?

it's not 1 league game though is it, he's had about 50.

Apart from the initial 'bounce' when he first came in (which nearly all teams get with a new manager), we have just gradually got worse and worse. Even though he is adding more of 'his' players every window, we are still getting worse...

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Got to start wondering why those three are so irreplaceable, except Didzy's goals that is. When Warne has commented on certain players like Didzy or Waggy he's always surprised that they aren't what he thought they would be. I suggest that is making recruitment a bigger problem than it needs be.

I read where he thought Waghorn was some big time Charlie or words to that effect and was surprised to see he wasn't, Football is full of chatter, Social media is full of BS and truth, Where did PW get the impression of Waghorn? 

I'm slowly going off his interviews, Where there was joviality/honesty there now seems an undercurrent of not knowing or finger pointing at others.

Maybe PW needs coaching on how to do future interviews 🤷‍♂️