Martyn Waghorn - signed a 1-year deal

trekkie_ram

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

I remember when Dean Holdsworth was our assistant manager under Phil Brown and he had to play 3 games as a striker when he was 36? As we didn't have any other players available.

And some folks think we've got it bad now trying get Waghorn back. 

Let’s not be to concerned about potentially signing Waghorn - we were playing Moxey at centre forward in the championship and Delap at centre forward in the premiership - that’s a left back and a right back 😆😆😆

4 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

McGoldrick scored 8 goals in the Premier League two seasons before joining us. Waghorn could only dream of that. Two seasons ago, Waghorn scored 1 goal for Coventry. There’s no comparison between them at all in my opinion - I for one was delighted when McGoldrick signed, everyone knew his technical quality (something which Waghorn lacks). 

McGoldrick hit 22 in the league after signing for free, so that’s definitely not true. Alfie May hit 20 last season and 23 the year before - he’s gone for 250k, not exactly a lot of money.

Personally I’ll be absolutely astonished if Waghorn hits double figures. He wasn’t a good finisher when he left 2 years ago, god knows how bad he is in front of goal now.

FWIW, I somewhat agree that there aren’t many good options out there at the moment. Waghorn is probably marginally better than Rhodes because of his work rate, but that really is clutching at straws. My annoyance is how we’ve let it get to this point. We’ve known for ages that we needed to replace McGoldrick, yet we didn’t seem to have any plan of how to do so. Barring the first few, most of our signings this summer have felt very opportunistic. That’s extremely disappointing given how long we had to plan for this window, and I’m quite annoyed to be frank with our new recruitment team, who haven’t identified anyone 90% of this forum couldn’t have done. The striker position is such a key signing and should have been addressed weeks ago.

But it's easy shouting out players names who WE think we should sign, but this is real life, any moron can sit at his/her pc and roll of names who we should sign but we don't have to do the deals. Also 250k in this league and given our position IS a lot of money. If we had a decent amount to spend don't you think we'd have been in for May?. Was we ever in for him?, he'd already signed before we sold Knight didn't he?.

Not calling anyone a Moron by the way 😄

1 minute ago, mwram1973 said:

But it's easy shouting out players names who WE think we should sign, but this is real life, any moron can sit at his/her pc and roll of names who we should sign but we don't have to do the deals. Also 250k in this league and given our position IS a lot of money. If we had a decent amount to spend don't you think we'd have been in for May?. Was we ever in for him?, he'd already signed before we sold Knight didn't he?.

Not calling anyone a Moron by the way 😄

I believe that we weren't prepared to meet May's wage demands, that's not to say that we couldn't have met them. Unlike under MM, when we met everyone's demands and that tactic didn't turn out too good.

10 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Let’s not be to concerned about potentially signing Waghorn - we were playing Moxey at centre forward in the championship and Delap at centre forward in the premiership - that’s a left back and a right back 😆😆😆

I'll give you Moxey but Delap was as adept up front as he was at full back that season we stuck him up top.  Foot like a trip hammer and a regular for assists.. Can still remember those 2 screamers against Chelsea. He got about 12 that year. Lots of games in midfield as well after he left Derby. The only ' versatile' player who wasn't equally poor in all positions.

50 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

If it's a maths problem then no, we don't

I think there were 8 games last season where McGoldrick goals changed the result of a game - not 22 games - And I think 4 of those were in the last 10 games where the whole squad looked knackered and that class was needed all the more

Bigger, stronger squad with more strength in dept this season - I'm not excited about missing a 20 goal a season striker - I'm not excited about losing the class up top - but it's not a necessity by a long shot - a 10 goal a season striker won't replace the total goals McGoldrick scored but they could replace the results...

I think we may be on the same page. I was looking to help other fans with concerns and reservations about our forward line without McGoldrick see that there’s potentially still plenty of goals in this squad, and as you rightly say, if Warne and co can get the players we do have scoring goals as well as keeping them out then our overall results and success can improve 🐏 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Moxey wasn't even that great as a full back. 

14 hours ago, alram said:

lets be honest it's a ridiclous signing. people can try and paint it whatever way they want, he is not a player we need nor is he a player we really want. 

hes too old, we are not going to get out of this division by assembling dads army and turning derby into an old boys club, the sooner clowes and warne clock on that you get out of this league with young energetic players the beter

I have a strong suspicion that Warne has a better idea of what it takes than you or I.

1 hour ago, Terry Hennessy said:

Well I guess we'll find out this week if he signs or not eh...for what it's worth I thought he looked OK for the 15 or 20 mins he came on during the Sheff Utd game.

I still think we need someone else though....

I think you’re right in an ideal world. What’s interesting me is what Washington will shape up like. Looked like he had plenty of pace / drive. Is he going to be ace and scary or will he be one of those that runs in to traffic too often without releasing the ball ? If it’s the former then I think we are going to be reasonably healthy.

21 minutes ago, jono said:

I think you’re right in an ideal world. What’s interesting me is what Washington will shape up like. Looked like he had plenty of pace / drive. Is he going to be ace and scary or will he be one of those that runs in to traffic too often without releasing the ball ? If it’s the former then I think we are going to be reasonably healthy.

Hmmmm....not seen enough of Washington to form an opinion ... but again he looked useful. 

As another thought, off the bench last season we had Osula... who I thought was OK...but raw [I thought he played well against us Saturday btw]...now IMO Waggy would be a better option off the bench this season than Osula [and Dobbin] ....

So often raw talent no matter how much promise they may have can not particularly help. The other side of that coin is when we had Tomori, Wilson and Mount of course....

8 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I think we may be on the same page. I was looking to help other fans with concerns and reservations about our forward line without McGoldrick see that there’s potentially still plenty of goals in this squad, and as you rightly say, if Warne and co can get the players we do have scoring goals as well as keeping them out then our overall results and success can improve 🐏 

Yes, sorry, I was agreeing with you in a bad way 🤣 I agree with the premise that mathematically we don't need a 20 goal a season striker - but also wanted to point out (to other posters) that actually a 20+ goal a season striker probably isn't scoring 20 significant goals per season - you need to replicate (and improve on) the wins not the goals

8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Yes, sorry, I was agreeing with you in a bad way 🤣 I agree with the premise that mathematically we don't need a 20 goal a season striker - but also wanted to point out (to other posters) that actually a 20+ goal a season striker probably isn't scoring 20 significant goals per season - you need to replicate (and improve on) the wins not the goals

Quite. It seems to me that a lot are overlooking how many our ‘defenders’ will score this season. How many did our back 5 contribute last season. I’ll guess at no more than 5. Warne will expect closer to 20 from his new group this season, from corners, free kicks, and wing back shooting. We don’t really need a hotshot for this season, but it would be nice to think we have one in mind for seasons ahead.

12 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m pretty sure how we will fair with the current attack, and Warne knows too - it won’t be promotion.

I don’t want to see us fail, but that’s exactly what will happen unless we sort this recruitment out. That’s not rubbish, that’s where we stand.

From the other 23 teams in the league, who has the best squad with the best strikers who are going to get promotion in your opinion? 

To make bold statements like you do, you must know every team inside out. 

4 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

From the other 23 teams in the league, who has the best squad with the best strikers who are going to get promotion in your opinion? 

To make bold statements like you do, you must know every team inside out. 

I have a feeling Bristol Rovers will be a surprise this season

14 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

McGoldrick scored 8 goals in the Premier League two seasons before joining us.

I really don't want to knock McG but he also scored 2 in 28 games in the Prem and had lots of other poor seasons. I'm just saying that for a striker, so much depends on the side you're in - it's not just about their own ability.

It's true that Waggy has rarely been prolific (although 20 in 25 for Rangers one season) but he is played wide quite a bit too.

I don't think he's as good or as suited as McG but he's prob 3rd or 4th choice so not a bad squad player. 

Based on BBC Radio Derby and RamsTV interviews, I get the sense that we have been in for a number of players since returning from Spain- and we’ve been unable to get them over the line. Paul Warne said upon leaving Spain that he expected at least one more in by Fozzys testimonial. He said at the club partner Q&A (video on the DCFC app) that he spent a day on the phone to 7 agents and 3 clubs. Some of that might be exaggerated, but he also said in an interview with Dom Dietrich that we had been told moves were happening which didn’t; and that’s part of what happens in football.

Couple that with his comments pre/post Sheff Utd, in which he said “there might be something for Waggy here, there might not”, it implies to me that Waghorn is not our first choice of signing. Maybe not even our second or third! But if we can’t get anything else over the line, he might be an option. He is DEFINITELY better than nothing. And my view is that he is better (but perhaps not cheaper) than an unproven loanee.

FGS - our recruitment team are rubbish - why can’t we just throw a load of cash at Peterborough, pay JCH whatever he wants to replace Didsy’s goals ….everyone knows that that formula is sustainable and has a history of success……. and having that amount of goals from one person in your team guarantees you promotion just look at Peterboro last season…..they ….oh wait….!!! 🫣😉

Happy Monday everyone - bring on Saturday!!!  🐏