Martyn Waghorn - signed a 1-year deal

trekkie_ram

Lowest level he will have played at, he is more than capable of getting over double figures this season.

I think fans dont rate him because of the price we paid for him originally but he isnt that bad, to play his whole career in the top 2 leagues in England & Scotland isnt to be dismissed so easily.

He showed against top end Champ (Prem) defenders in the Sheff Utd friendly that he can cause problems so he will cause League 1 defenders problems for sure.

Edited by DCFC1388

if it was waghorn in isolation its a good signing, but added into the rest of the age profile of our squad and the desperate need for athletisim in the squad, i am very underwhelmed - he is just not the sort of player we need and in a years time we will be in exactly the same position looking for his replacement whether he does well or not.

11 minutes ago, alram said:

if it was waghorn in isolation its a good signing, but added into the rest of the age profile of our squad and the desperate need for athletisim in the squad, i am very underwhelmed - he is just not the sort of player we need and in a years time we will be in exactly the same position looking for his replacement whether he does well or not.

If he bangs a few goals in for us and helps get us up, that will do fine for me.

2 hours ago, Srg said:

He's fine for the squad, but isn't the answer to any problems we have. Still need more pace.

I come to this thinking that he is in the same position today that McGoldrick was twelve months ago. Good player a few years back, better than this level but his days in the game are numbered.

He might be an inspiration.  An ageing player dropping a league or two will often outshine those around them.  If we went up this would be an ordinary signing, but the fact we are in Lg1 might mean he is naturally better than those around him (even accounting for age).  

10 minutes ago, alram said:

Not exactly the same position. We will be free of the agreed business plan. We may be in league one if he doesn’t do well, we may be in the championship if he does. There might be more viable options available to us on free transfers next season and/or we might be in a position to spend more. We will also have Dajaune Brown 1 year further into his development and potentially ready to step up to the first team with a clear path open to him and less pressure on his young shoulders having been supported through his development this season, thanks in part to the improved depth of senior pros.
None of us can predict the future so can’t say definitively what will happen. This is a signing that adds squad depth to the forward line in the immediate, which I think is one of the only things we as fans unanimously agree was needed. There is indeed an element of short-termism in this signing, but for the moment that’s the reality of where the club seems to be. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

16 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Not exactly the same position. We will be free of the agreed business plan. We may be in league one if he doesn’t do well, we may be in the championship if he does. There might be more viable options available to us on free transfers next season and/or we might be in a position to spend more. We will also have Dajaune Brown 1 year further into his development and potentially ready to step up to the first team with a clear path open to him and less pressure on his young shoulders having been supported through his development this season, thanks in part to the improved depth of senior pros.
None of us can predict the future so can’t say definitively what will happen. This is a signing that adds squad depth to the forward line in the immediate, which I think is one of the only things we as fans unanimously agree was needed. There is indeed an element of short-termism in this signing, but for the moment that’s the reality of where the club seems to be. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

it's the reality because we keep buying old players and having to do business next season to replace them

9 minutes ago, alram said:

it's the reality because we keep buying old players and having to do business next season to replace them

We have been under strict rules due to what happened just one year ago. Let's say we get promoted, we would probably want a greatly changed squad.  

Short termism to get us up might be a pretty good strategy.  

4 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

We have been under strict rules due to what happened just one year ago. Let's say we get promoted, we would probably want a greatly changed squad.  

Short termism to get us up might be a pretty good strategy.  

yeah it might be and i hope it is.

it just wouldnt be what i would do as there is a backup plan if you sign players with an upward curve. eventually we will run out of players to sell and you just end up in an endless cycle of signing a new core of players every summer. good teams take time to build and grow together, doesnt happen if you sign everyone on 1 year deals

Edited by alram

4 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Suspect we get a better version of Waggy than Coventry or Huddersfield did.

I understand why people have reservations about him signing, but I'd rate this one higher than I would Rhodes/Sharp signing.

For 9 months.

23 minutes ago, alram said:

yeah it might be and i hope it is.

it just wouldnt be what i would do as there is a backup plan if you sign players with an upward curve. eventually we will run out of players to sell and you just end up in an endless cycle of signing a new core of players every summer. good teams take time to build and grow together, doesnt happen if you sign everyone on 1 year deals

Like it or not, we have to operate on 2 totally different business models, one for last season and this season, then a normal one for future years.

We can't build a team in the normal way ATM, any up and coming players will command a decent fee, which is simply beyond our reach ATM. We could try and find some hidden gems but are more likely to saddle ourselves with players on long contracts that aren't going to make the grade and will be a burden for the next couple of years.

So the model we're seem to be going down, is to get safer signings on short term contracts in the hope that they are good enough to get promotion this year. Then we can start our rebuild next season when we can better compete in the transfer market. Next season we will be restriction free and if promoted, will have a much larger budget to play with.