Martyn Waghorn - signed a 1-year deal

trekkie_ram

16 hours ago, Boycie said:

For 9 months.

Yes, can’t have been easy for Waggy. No doubt by the standards of many he will be well paid but it’s a big thing at his age. Just 12 pay cheques to go. Maybe he will get a year on top, maybe not .. he probably does have 2/3 years of playing left but what next ? 
I really like Waggy, you can see from his social media that he always leaves an enduring good taste wherever he’s been, which says something about the man. I’d just love it if he has an Indian summer with us ! 

Think this reaffirms where we are. Quite ironic really, Waggy was signed on a decent contract for an over inflated price, a model that got us into so much turmoil. We then resign him as we are under a budget and can’t go out and pay decent fees at the minute so we are shopping in the bargain basement. 

Truth be told I wasn’t fussed when he left us so not going to pretend to be excited about him coming back. I will get behind him like I do any player who pulls on the shirt. I was just hoping for better. Certainly to wear the number 10 shirt. Only a number I know but while it was available I was hoping for a better quality of signing. 

There's a new book coming out in October about the Rams' last few seasons Pride Before the Fall). A nice mention of Waggy:

Underpinning some of Cocu’s demise was the presence of Rooney. Talk of Cocu not particularly wanting Rooney at the club and the signing being thrust upon him was doing the rounds amid the squad in earnest. Rooney had been brought in as a player-coach, but did little in the way of coaching outside of sitting in on video sessions and passing on some advice to several players.

‘If he liked you, he’d offer you advice,’ Max Lowe remarked. ‘[Max] Bird, [Jason] Knight – they were his boys. I think he saw some of himself in them. He liked them. Waggy [Martyn Waghorn], too. But for some of the lads it was a bit hard to integrate with Wayne. Obviously we were at a different level from where he’d come from. I think it was hard to find a bit of common ground with him sometimes.’

Whispers had also spread through the squad that Rooney had a clause in his contract that he was going to be the next manager – something which created somewhat of an uneasy tension within the changing room.

‘Sometimes you didn’t feel like you were just playing with Wayne the player. You felt like it was an audition to see if the next manager wanted you there,’ said Lowe.

‘You’d come in on a Monday and we’d break out into our warm-ups and people would ask where Wayne was,’ Lowe said. ‘I think Waghorn would get a bit annoyed especially as he and Wayne would play on the PlayStation together and stuff – they were pretty close – then Wayne wouldn’t show the next day.

‘We never got told if it was a day off or if he was injured or excused for personal reasons. None of that. He just wasn’t there. Then obviously he’d come straight into the team at the weekend and it meant guys like Duane, or Graeme [Shinnie], or Knight, or [Krystian] Bielik had to drop out of the team.’

43 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

There's a new book coming out in October about the Rams' last few seasons Pride Before the Fall). A nice mention of Waggy:

Underpinning some of Cocu’s demise was the presence of Rooney. Talk of Cocu not particularly wanting Rooney at the club and the signing being thrust upon him was doing the rounds amid the squad in earnest. Rooney had been brought in as a player-coach, but did little in the way of coaching outside of sitting in on video sessions and passing on some advice to several players.

‘If he liked you, he’d offer you advice,’ Max Lowe remarked. ‘[Max] Bird, [Jason] Knight – they were his boys. I think he saw some of himself in them. He liked them. Waggy [Martyn Waghorn], too. But for some of the lads it was a bit hard to integrate with Wayne. Obviously we were at a different level from where he’d come from. I think it was hard to find a bit of common ground with him sometimes.’

Whispers had also spread through the squad that Rooney had a clause in his contract that he was going to be the next manager – something which created somewhat of an uneasy tension within the changing room.

‘Sometimes you didn’t feel like you were just playing with Wayne the player. You felt like it was an audition to see if the next manager wanted you there,’ said Lowe.

‘You’d come in on a Monday and we’d break out into our warm-ups and people would ask where Wayne was,’ Lowe said. ‘I think Waghorn would get a bit annoyed especially as he and Wayne would play on the PlayStation together and stuff – they were pretty close – then Wayne wouldn’t show the next day.

‘We never got told if it was a day off or if he was injured or excused for personal reasons. None of that. He just wasn’t there. Then obviously he’d come straight into the team at the weekend and it meant guys like Duane, or Graeme [Shinnie], or Knight, or [Krystian] Bielik had to drop out of the team.’

not many publishers would feel comfortable printing that. Shows I think what a difficult position Cocu was in, LR as well. None of it surprising in the least. 

1 hour ago, Macintosh said:

So was Waghorn irritated with the people who were muttering and asking where Wayne was....or annoyed with Wayne because he'd been chatting to him the night before and then he just didn't bother to show up?

Edited by Chester40

40 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

So was Waghorn irritated with the people who were muttering and asking where Wayne was....or annoyed with Wayne because he'd been chatting to him the night before and then he just didn't bother to show up?

Dunno. Ask Lowe, he's got no axe to grind?

Edited by RoyMac5

55 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

You'll have to buy the book. It's available for pre-order on Amazon. Makes a great Christmas present.

Some last words from Max:

‘I’ll never have anything but nice things to say about Phillip and his staff. They looked after me when I lost my best friend and then broke my leg in the space of about three weeks and I was in a really bad mental space – they would always look out for me.’

3 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Think this reaffirms where we are. Quite ironic really, Waggy was signed on a decent contract for an over inflated price, a model that got us into so much turmoil. We then resign him as we are under a budget and can’t go out and pay decent fees at the minute so we are shopping in the bargain basement. 

Truth be told I wasn’t fussed when he left us so not going to pretend to be excited about him coming back. I will get behind him like I do any player who pulls on the shirt. I was just hoping for better. Certainly to wear the number 10 shirt. Only a number I know but while it was available I was hoping for a better quality of signing. 

summed up very well great post

2 hours ago, Macintosh said:

jesus talk about old boys club

2 hours ago, Yoxoram said:

Rodney Marsh 🤔 wasn't he an Australian cricketer 😉.

Yes, he died at 74 on 4th March 2022. The same day as another Aussie legend, Shane Warne, died aged 52! Double tragedy for OZ.

OUR Rodney is still going strong at 78 and has been married 53 years!

Edited by Brammie Steve

53 minutes ago, alram said:

jesus talk about old boys club

OK...

Lads we're going 442 on Saturday, The team is

Peter...Goalkeeper...safe pair of hands has Pete with him being a fisherman

James and John...Full backs...you know each other, So get the ball down and knock it forward

Andrew and Nathaniel...Centre Backs...you all know Andrew we got him on a free from Greece, Nate put that scroll away

Jude and Captain...Left Mid...Jude it's your last game today as we've accepted a bid from Galilee. 

Judas...Right Mid...and no back handers aye Judas this week.

Mathew and Simon...both Centre Mid, A win today lads and we're back to Mathews boozer, Simon you were crucified last week.

Philip...I want you to play as the 10...really boss, Yep and that's Gospel

Thomas...play the olde fashioned Centre Forward...I believe in you tho some fans are doubting you

Anyone seen James the Lesser...yes Boss, He got a flat Camel on the high street 

image.png.4b1e906ffbed530acca3757a519dacf6.png

59 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

Yes, he died at 74 on 4th March 2022. The same day as another Aussie legend, Shane Warne, died aged 52! Double tragedy for OZ.

OUR Rodney is still going strong at 78 and has been married 53 years!

There was an element of humour in my post. I am fully aware of both the footballer and cricketer. Both showmen in their own ways. What I wouldn't give for Rodney Marsh, the footballer, in our team today. I am not a betting man but even I would be tempted to put down some money on us walking League 1 this season with him in the team.

1 hour ago, Yoxoram said:

There was an element of humour in my post. I am fully aware of both the footballer and cricketer. Both showmen in their own ways. What I wouldn't give for Rodney Marsh, the footballer, in our team today. I am not a betting man but even I would be tempted to put down some money on us walking League 1 this season with him in the team.

Though he did upset the Maine Road dressing room on arrival. Lee Bell and Summerbee were never quite the same. And eventually it all went nipples up. Some fantastic skills though Rodney Marsh. He had a spell at Fulham with George Best didn’t he. 

12 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Though he did upset the Maine Road dressing room on arrival. Lee Bell and Summerbee were never quite the same. And eventually it all went nipples up. Some fantastic skills though Rodney Marsh. He had a spell at Fulham with George Best didn’t he

And Bobby Moore 👍