Most despised XI

BaaLocks

10 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

a bit like Pearson, two or three turns of pace does not a decent player make.

i quite liked Pearson and thought he was underrated. Of course fast doesn’t mean good but we have players now who are too slow to be good. It takes a special talent to compensate for lack of pace

McGovern was a funny one. He often looked clunky with the ball and was surrounded by class. But effective, a bit like Didier the water carrier. There are plenty of pretty footballers whose silky skills hide a multitude of sins 

12 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

SIlly summer season - how about a most hated Derby XI. Not necessarily the worst, but the team the fans just didn't like. For example, Francois Grenet, Mikkel Beck were just rubbish. It's the ones who got the boos, or at least a very muffled reaction, when their name was announced. And it has to be while they were with Derby - not because they went off to Leeds or wherever.

I'll kick us off (and try not to just make it a load of ex-Forest players, I could easily fill this with Paterson, Dowell, Tyson etc). Has to be players who really got on the wrong side of the fans):

Chairman: Mel Morris / Robert Maxwell job share

Manager: Tommy Docherty

Assistant Manager: Billy Davies

Director Of Football: Sam Rush

1: Jon Middleton

2: Tyrone Mears

3: Stephan Schnoor

4: Jacob Butterfield

5: Richard Keogh

6: Kenny Burns

7: Gary Teale

8: Don Masson

9: Rob Earnshaw

10: Mason Bennett

11: John Robertson

Subs:

- John McGovern

- Vic Moreland

- Robbie Savage

- Fabrizio Ravanelli

There you go, that's a pretty unpopular team to go watch.

why Ravanelli?, used to visit children in hospital without being asked and without the press being there. Waited years for his wages to be paid??????

6 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

why Ravanelli?, used to visit children in hospital without being asked and without the press being there. Waited years for his wages to be paid??????

Because he was on a fortune, had the first touch of Teflon and was s****. 

This thread has descended into the worst eleven as far as I can tell. I will certainly nominate warren barton for being a useless p**** with the passion and desire of an impotent monk. My memory of him idly walking after John oster as the latter raced through to slot home for Grimsby, on what my failing memory tells me was a Boxing Day match, epitomised everything. Took the money and never gave a toss. p****.

I always quite liked Pearson. He was as lightweight as they come, but he had a bit of a spark in the final third that gave you a bit of hope that something might happen. I can't think of many players in that squad who had that. I certainly thought we would always look weaker when he picked up one of his million injuries, due to being made entirely of wet bogroll.

Warren Barton was the worst Ram i've ever seen. Not from lack of ability, but pure lack of interest. A walking red card who couldn't give a flyer for what happened to the club. His mate Rob Lee was the exact opposite and should have been a prime example of what an older player should offer a club.

21 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

This thread has descended into the worst eleven as far as I can tell. 

That's what I was suggesting it didn't become. And, to repeat, it doesn't mean you (or I) didn't like or appreciate them - McGovern being a prime case in point - but just means that you remember them being disliked by fans.

As for what adjective you want to apply to that team, for those that take umbrage with the word despised - I have no issue if the mods want to amend it to 'Most Mildly Irritating XI' or 'Most Likely To Cause Some Element Of Consternation, Though Hopefully Not Enough To Cause Loss Of Sleep Or Appetite, XI'

Some mad takes on this thread. A lot of rubbish but pure rubbish, not hate worthy.

Glad warren barton has been mentioned. Pretty sure it was Burnley away when he got sent off and most of us were cheering. He wasn’t just rubbish but had a bit of an attitude about him.

Keeper for me has to be Roy Carroll. Came with a good reputation and pedigree but was rubbish and remember him falling out with the crowd a fair bit.

Goal or no goal, Kenny Miller was a mercenary who couldn’t give a damn.

A lot of rubbish players mentioned but largely not hate figures, while here anyway. Even Darryl Powell used to get a lot of stick. And I think Ravanelli is a fair shout too for being a leech that was past it.

1 hour ago, NorwichExile said:

I always quite liked Pearson. He was as lightweight as they come, but he had a bit of a spark in the final third that gave you a bit of hope that something might happen. I can't think of many players in that squad who had that. I certainly thought we would always look weaker when he picked up one of his million injuries, due to being made entirely of wet bogroll.

Warren Barton was the worst Ram i've ever seen. Not from lack of ability, but pure lack of interest. A walking red card who couldn't give a flyer for what happened to the club. His mate Rob Lee was the exact opposite and should have been a prime example of what an older player should offer a club.

I can remember Rob Lee getting rather upset when leaving about Ian Evatts contract not being renewed,  Said that as a senior player and with the squad available they hadn't done their jobs not getting the club back up and couldn't complain about being released but Evatt had played in 3 positions over the course of the season and done very well.

2 minutes ago, Red_ram said:

Some mad takes on this thread. A lot of rubbish but pure rubbish, not hate worthy.

Glad warren barton has been mentioned. Pretty sure it was Burnley away when he got sent off and most of us were cheering. He wasn’t just rubbish but had a bit of an attitude about him.

Keeper for me has to be Roy Carroll. Came with a good reputation and pedigree but was rubbish and remember him falling out with the crowd a fair bit.

Goal or no goal, Kenny Miller was a mercenary who couldn’t give a damn.

A lot of rubbish players mentioned but largely not hate figures, while here anyway. Even Darryl Powell used to get a lot of stick. And I think Ravanelli is a fair shout too for being a leech that was past it.

We did give him some huge signing on fee as well.  To be fair however, ex players from that side have said he was very bothered when he missed a couple of penos that cost points and was quite a good professional.  We were just a bit daft to give him that wage 3 yrs past his best.

For goalie Carroll was s**** but he still can't beat Foletti's stella performance in that Everton game which basically sent us down 

33 minutes ago, Red_ram said:

A lot of rubbish players mentioned but largely not hate figures, while here anyway. Even Darryl Powell used to get a lot of stick. 

Wasn’t there some humour with it too, seem to recall Daryl Powell is a football genius being a frequent chant.

4 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Wasn’t there some humour with it too, seem to recall Daryl Powell is a football genius being a frequent chant.

From memory towards the end it was actual stick. The one game (Man City home?) he jumped in the crowd to shake someone’s hand who given him stick all game after he was involved in a goal, I’m pretty sure.

Amazed at how Jeremy Keith and Murdo MacLeod of the 3 amigos seem to have been overlooked for ownership and DoF..... 

How they took over, what they did, the state they left us in everything about their reign, zero redeeming factors.

Up until covid MM was universally loved, big names PO finals and most importantly the legacy of yhe academy.

Manager has to be Phil Brown for getting jobs for his mates and generally being out his depth and with the above ownership, not as a man, if you doubt the choice, it culminated in what happened at Colchester after they beat us in FAC.

And GK, Camp was ok for us, but his dad's rant was funny,but correct, picking Poole over him and Grant really? So Poole as GK for me as every fan also agreed tbf

1 hour ago, maydrakin said:

For me, the players that have angered me are the ones that really didn’t seem to put any effort in.

Yes, you John Harkes, Kenny Miller and Mikkel Beck.

Never liked Mark Pembridge, mainly for the fact he just didn’t seem to care.

Pembridge was frustrating. He had the ability (I used to watch him train and he was technically talented) but he was a mardy git. 

I always remember Harkes as being meh rather than grrr. Kenny Miller - what a horrible little man. And I think I've slated Beck enough... actually... I haven't. As bad as he was on the pitch, he was also a proper prima donna off it. Wouldn't go to kids signings, etc, etc. I honestly don't know what TBE was thinking.

Darryl Powell was a fantastic athlete and when he just did the basics, he was very good. The problem was, after one good season he thought he could play so started to try things that just didn't work (I.E. pass more than 5 yards) - hence "Darry Powell Football Genius" - laden with irony.