Most despised XI

BaaLocks

15 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

i quite liked Pearson and thought he was underrated. Of course fast doesn’t mean good but we have players now who are too slow to be good. It takes a special talent to compensate for lack of pace

McGovern was a funny one. He often looked clunky with the ball and was surrounded by class. But effective, a bit like Didier the water carrier. There are plenty of pretty footballers whose silky skills hide a multitude of sins 

Mr Mgoo is famous for saying he hated watching himself on the telly because of the weird  way in which he ran around!

Can I nominate Tom Ince? Had his games, certainly a few memorable moments and had all the abiiity you’d ever want but I’ve never seen a more obvious example of someone hiding behind opposition players, shirking out of challenges and hiding from responsibilities. When he was interested, he was grand but i felt he could noticeably lose interest. Vydra was another one and given too much leeway by Rowett until he wasn’t.

Bugger it I’ll stick up for Barton, was passed it when he came and had some awful moments (did he score two og’s against Grimsby or something?) but I never felt like he didn’t care, also he was captain and had a similar rep round the club as Rob Lee (first to be at training and last ones to leave I seem to think). I think it was more his confidence was shot to pieces and he wasn’t the only one in that first season after prem relegation

7 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Can I nominate Tom Ince? Had his games, certainly a few memorable moments and had all the abiiity you’d ever want but I’ve never seen a more obvious example of someone hiding behind opposition players, shirking out of challenges and hiding from responsibilities. When he was interested, he was grand but i felt he could noticeably lose interest. Vydra was another one and given too much leeway by Rowett until he wasn’t.

Bugger it I’ll stick up for Barton, was passed it when he came and had some awful moments (did he score two og’s against Grimsby or something?) but I never felt like he didn’t care, also he was captain and had a similar rep round the club as Rob Lee (first to be at training and last ones to leave I seem to think). I think it was more his confidence was shot to pieces and he wasn’t the only one in that first season after prem relegation

Nope. Vydra’s problem was the “Derby Way” virus. His best position was playing off the centre forward, but Vydra was either on the bench, played as the bug target man 🙄 or out on the wing.

I reckon he would have been lethal playing off Chris Martin but IIRC he was never given the chance. He only came good when we played to his strengths. 23 seconds in against the Trees springs to mind!

GK Roy Carroll in goal for me, for THAT sending off. With his gambling history? Hmmm.

RB Mears at right full back. Climbing out of windows? Jesus.

CH Kenny Burns, the fat, sweaty scottish knacker.

CH Raul Albentosa. Oooh, I forgot my insoles, so I forgot how to play and I want to go home. Mardy c***.

LB Danny Mills. Fat scavenger.

RW Craig Fagan. Harsh this because he tried. But epitomised an era of gross incompetence.

CM Bob Malcolm. Great start. Pissed it all up the wall. Waster.

CM Jacob Butterfield. Decent start, lost his way, realised he was rich and couldn't be arsed to get on it any more. Shudder.

LW Eddie Lewis. In with a shout for the most out of their depth football player ever, in a world that includes Claude Davis.

CF Tamas Priskin. Loaned in, flounced about, flounced out. Never broke sweat.

CF Rob Earnshaw. Overall champion.

Ask me again tomorrow, I'll give you a new XI!

7 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Nope. Vydra’s problem was the “Derby Way” virus. His best position was playing off the centre forward, but Vydra was either on the bench, played as the bug target man 🙄 or out on the wing.

I reckon he would have been lethal playing off Chris Martin but IIRC he was never given the chance. He only came good when we played to his strengths. 23 seconds in against the Trees springs to mind!

They played together once in the Rowett season for 45 mins and Rowett hauled Martin off. From what I  remember they got in each others space a lot, which wasn’t uncommon for Vydra as it happened with Lawrence a lot too. Vydra was a quality footballer but I felt he needed everything his own way or else you wouldn’t get any real interest from him. When he got the partnership with Nugent, he was happy because Nuge was happy to do the donkey work for 70 minutes or until he ran out of legs. That partnership worked until teams got wise to it, by then Martin was out on loan and Winnall was out for the season so we got Jerome that worked, until it didn’t. Thus was Rowett’s reign, it was short term solutions to a long term problem. 

12 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

No one mentioned Nathan Byrne?

Buchanan and Byrne should be in everyone's lists on here.

Weaselled their way out with a dodgy loophole, abandoning us while we were up the creek without a paddle.

Proper a**ehole behaviour, especially from one of our own academy lads.

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Tom Ince, really? A few memorable moments - 55 goal involvements in 114 games is more than a few memorable moments. He is the most prolific wide player we've had in my lifetime (30+ years). He dragged the team up more often than not - excellent player and attitude during his time with the club. 

On 24/07/2023 at 12:37, Brammie Steve said:

Richard Keogh made one mistake and is still popular with many fans for his years of loyal service.

John McGovern was brilliant for the Rams and scored the goal against Liverpool that got us our first league championship!

Do these deserve to be more unpopular than Derek Hales and Sam Longson?

Yes Sam (reluctantly) financed Cloughie's purchases but he forced Sir Brian and Peter out in one of the darkest days in the Rams'history.

Worse decision of any chairman ever,screwed us and gave the gumps a history they should never of had

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

I am wondering if this thread qualifies as the worst one on this forum?

Not by an extended calcium carbonate! The author made it clear that this is a bit of fun during the silly season.

We could just as legitimately ask questions like:-

Best foreign Ram….Igor or Paolo?

Best number six……Mackay or Toddy?

And in no time flat it would go off in all sorts of directions and not really serve any useful purpose.

PS BBG or PP?

A lot depends on the age of the respondent. I worked with folk 20+ years older who insisted that the 71-72 team wasn’t a patch on the 1946 Rams who won the FA cup!

Edited by Brammie Steve

4 hours ago, I DONT MIND said:

Can i nominate Ian Storey-Moore, Lubos Kubik and Ivo Knoflichek Signed, on the pitch then never seen again!!!

From what I remember if we had signed Lubos Kubik and Ivo Knofilchek they would have been the first foreign players to play in the old First Division. 

4 hours ago, Scott129 said:

Buchanan and Byrne should be in everyone's lists on here.

Weaselled their way out with a dodgy loophole, abandoning us while we were up the creek without a paddle.

Proper a**ehole behaviour, especially from one of our own academy lads.

Festy too

42 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

From what I remember if we had signed Lubos Kubik and Ivo Knofilchek they would have been the first foreign players to play in the old First Division. 

For Derby Tewfik Abdullah from Egypt 1920. 
Oldest for any club Walter Bowman 1892 from Canada for Accy Stanley  then Max Seeburg Spurs 1908  from Germany 😉

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Added a bit

On 24/07/2023 at 08:58, BaaLocks said:

SIlly summer season - how about a most hated Derby XI. Not necessarily the worst, but the team the fans just didn't like. For example, Francois Grenet, Mikkel Beck were just rubbish. It's the ones who got the boos, or at least a very muffled reaction, when their name was announced. And it has to be while they were with Derby - not because they went off to Leeds or wherever.

I'll kick us off (and try not to just make it a load of ex-Forest players, I could easily fill this with Paterson, Dowell, Tyson etc). Has to be players who really got on the wrong side of the fans):

Chairman: Mel Morris / Robert Maxwell job share

Manager: Tommy Docherty

Assistant Manager: Billy Davies

Director Of Football: Sam Rush

1: Jon Middleton

2: Tyrone Mears

3: Stephan Schnoor

4: Jacob Butterfield

5: Richard Keogh

6: Kenny Burns

7: Gary Teale

8: Don Masson

9: Rob Earnshaw

10: Mason Bennett

11: John Robertson

Subs:

- John McGovern

- Vic Moreland

- Robbie Savage

- Fabrizio Ravanelli

There you go, that's a pretty unpopular team to go watch.

I’d have some of them subs starting and be happy about it 

On 24/07/2023 at 08:58, BaaLocks said:

SIlly summer season - how about a most hated Derby XI. Not necessarily the worst, but the team the fans just didn't like. For example, Francois Grenet, Mikkel Beck were just rubbish. It's the ones who got the boos, or at least a very muffled reaction, when their name was announced. And it has to be while they were with Derby - not because they went off to Leeds or wherever.

I'll kick us off (and try not to just make it a load of ex-Forest players, I could easily fill this with Paterson, Dowell, Tyson etc). Has to be players who really got on the wrong side of the fans):

Chairman: Mel Morris / Robert Maxwell job share

Manager: Tommy Docherty

Assistant Manager: Billy Davies

Director Of Football: Sam Rush

1: Jon Middleton

2: Tyrone Mears

3: Stephan Schnoor

4: Jacob Butterfield

5: Richard Keogh

6: Kenny Burns

7: Gary Teale

8: Don Masson

9: Rob Earnshaw

10: Mason Bennett

11: John Robertson

Subs:

- John McGovern

- Vic Moreland

- Robbie Savage

- Fabrizio Ravanelli

There you go, that's a pretty unpopular team to go watch.

What a joke inc Keogh. Do you even know every manager who managed derby played him and was very popular contrary to you’re pathetic post