Most despised XI

BaaLocks

Thought Bent scored a fair few goals which is what he is paid to do (don't remember any dislike towards him). For me Derek Hales (not personal hate) but considering his goal scoring reputation before joining, I recall him having a torrid time here and possibly cost us a more respectable place in the table. Don't think we lost many during that season but drew a lot.

3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Bit like employing Michel Roux Jnr to work in your greasy spoon cafe and saying he takes too long to get the food out and isn't any fun on the staff night out. He was just on a different wavelength to the rest of the team. 

Yeah, a lazy ass, overweight wavelength. I love flair players (Asanovic is prob my favourite player) but I always felt Kinky's attitude was way off. 

20 hours ago, I DONT MIND said:

No they wouldn't have been even the first that season for Derby John Cheidozie had played two games for us earlier that season, one a particularly good performance in a 1-1 draw at Forest.

Never realised that. My memory not as good these days that's what happens when you get to 68. LOL 

11 hours ago, TimRam said:

Thought Bent scored a fair few goals which is what he is paid to do (don't remember any dislike towards him). For me Derek Hales (not personal hate) but considering his goal scoring reputation before joining, I recall him having a torrid time here and possibly cost us a more respectable place in the table. Don't think we lost many during that season but drew a lot.

I think I read on here from an ITK poster that the big problem with Derek Hales was that he was the entire transfer budget for that season.

An early indicator of Derby overpaying for a player based upon a brief purple patch.....

I struggle with this “don’t rate Kinkladze” flavour to the thread. He got “Derby Way”’d. His position was in the hole just behind the striker, but we played mainly on the bench, bringing him on with 10 or 25 minutes to go in a game which was already lost, or stuck out on the wing. Or being bypassed in midfield because the ball spent all it’s time several miles up in the air. I only remember him getting a full 90 minutes in his best position against Aston Villa and he ran the show.

Re Wayne Rooney: his legs had gone before he got here, but his fall in standards coincided with him realising that Cocu didn’t understand Championship football and set about undermining him. He got Cocu sacked so he could take the job for himself.

7 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Re Wayne Rooney: his legs had gone before he got here, but his fall in standards coincided with him realising that Cocu didn’t understand Championship football and set about undermining him. He got Cocu sacked so he could take the job for himself.

He didn't get cocu sacked the results did, the whole team was bloody awful that season

45 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I struggle with this “don’t rate Kinkladze” flavour to the thread. He got “Derby Way”’d. His position was in the hole just behind the striker, but we played mainly on the bench, bringing him on with 10 or 25 minutes to go in a game which was already lost, or stuck out on the wing. Or being bypassed in midfield because the ball spent all it’s time several miles up in the air. I only remember him getting a full 90 minutes in his best position against Aston Villa and he ran the show.

I did say it was probably an unpopular opinion! I struggled with a lot of our signings around that time - just seemed to be money-motivated and there were lots of rumours about brown envelopes.

He was prob on bench 'cos he was a fat git so couldn't last 90 typically. I just remember him standing around and then when he did have the occasional run everyone would wet themselves. Not doubting his talent but I if you asked the players of the time (as I did) they'd say he was not a great pro.

On 24/07/2023 at 08:58, BaaLocks said:

SIlly summer season - how about a most hated Derby XI. Not necessarily the worst, but the team the fans just didn't like. For example, Francois Grenet, Mikkel Beck were just rubbish. It's the ones who got the boos, or at least a very muffled reaction, when their name was announced. And it has to be while they were with Derby - not because they went off to Leeds or wherever.

I'll kick us off (and try not to just make it a load of ex-Forest players, I could easily fill this with Paterson, Dowell, Tyson etc). Has to be players who really got on the wrong side of the fans):

Chairman: Mel Morris / Robert Maxwell job share

Manager: Tommy Docherty

Assistant Manager: Billy Davies

Director Of Football: Sam Rush

1: Jon Middleton

2: Tyrone Mears

3: Stephan Schnoor

4: Jacob Butterfield

5: Richard Keogh

6: Kenny Burns

7: Gary Teale

8: Don Masson

9: Rob Earnshaw

10: Mason Bennett

11: John Robertson

Subs:

- John McGovern

- Vic Moreland

- Robbie Savage

- Fabrizio Ravanelli

There you go, that's a pretty unpopular team to go watch.

On 24/07/2023 at 09:02, ollycutts1982 said:

What did Stefan Schnoor do wrong? I thought he was decent in his time with us, unless I'm missing something.

@BaaLocks you still haven't explained what Stefan Schnoor did wrong?

On 24/07/2023 at 09:28, BaaLocks said:

Fair point on Schnoor, I'll bow to consensus on that.

@ollycutts1982 - already addressed that I believe. Guess my thinking was that I remember him as a bit of a step down from Powell, all views are personal and all that. Same with Spencer Prior, he just had a hard act to follow (though I actually liked Prior, strangely more than many around me).

Maybe that's the next thread - players who everyone else seemed to despise / dislike / get irritated by and you quite liked them. McGovern would be a good example of that. Couple of other examples, I quite liked Craig Fagan - he was one of the few in that team who was able to challenge an opponent and get a cross in. Same with Weimann, always thought he never got the chance he probably deserved and his tenure with Bristol City has proved that.

29 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Maybe that's the next thread - players who everyone else seemed to despise / dislike / get irritated by and you quite liked them. 

If anyone suggests Beck they get an instant lifetime ban from the forum though - agreed?

My other unpopular view is that Curtis Davies wasn't that good. He couldn't pass for toffee and was glacially slow. Great guy and all that but I was nervous every time he had the ball.

31 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

If anyone suggests Beck they get an instant lifetime ban from the forum though - agreed?

My other unpopular view is that Curtis Davies wasn't that good. He couldn't pass for toffee and was glacially slow. Great guy and all that but I was nervous every time he had the ball.

He wasn’t after his last injury but prior to that he was immense and helped hold the club together when others may have fled.

3 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

He didn't get cocu sacked the results did, the whole team was bloody awful that season

When a team turns against the manager, or is turned against the manager, the result is the same as if the team is awful.

3 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

I did say it was probably an unpopular opinion! I struggled with a lot of our signings around that time - just seemed to be money-motivated and there were lots of rumours about brown envelopes.

He was prob on bench 'cos he was a fat git so couldn't last 90 typically. I just remember him standing around and then when he did have the occasional run everyone would wet themselves. Not doubting his talent but I if you asked the players of the time (as I did) they'd say he was not a great pro.

Kinky only made 13 less performances for Derby (80+13 on loan) than he did for Man City (103) where many would put him in the category of deity. Always thankful to him for the 3-3 draw against the Wendies when we were 3-1 down on 90 mins but I agree with the general sentiment, always looked really unfit and as the 'let's get Kinky on' chants started I couldn't help feeling is was all a bit a case of the legend not quite matching the reality.

Not really a player who was hated or despised, but I always thought Tom Ince was never liked as much as his output might suggest he should have been. He scored at a rate of about 1 in 3 and got a fair few assists - probably a goal or assist every other game - but he was never really loved by fans. I can’t remember there being much unhappiness or sadness when he left; people just sort of accepted he was gone and moved on. Bit of a weird one, really. 

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

@ollycutts1982 - already addressed that I believe. Guess my thinking was that I remember him as a bit of a step down from Powell, all views are personal and all that. Same with Spencer Prior, he just had a hard act to follow (though I actually liked Prior, strangely more than many around me).

Maybe that's the next thread - players who everyone else seemed to despise / dislike / get irritated by and you quite liked them. McGovern would be a good example of that. Couple of other examples, I quite liked Craig Fagan - he was one of the few in that team who was able to challenge an opponent and get a cross in. Same with Weimann, always thought he never got the chance he probably deserved and his tenure with Bristol City has proved that.

Understandable, am I corrdct in thinking we went from Powell - Dorigo - Schnoor?

12 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think I read on here from an ITK poster that the big problem with Derek Hales was that he was the entire transfer budget for that season.

An early indicator of Derby overpaying for a player based upon a brief purple patch....

Hales' purchase was the sole decision of the chairman George Hardy who, ironically, had made his fortune by dealing in scrap. Colin Murphy had no say in it. The fee and the transfer were ridiculed from the outset by the football media and public, quite justifiably; Hales was simply very good in the second division but completely out of his depth in the top tier. Peter Taylor, who had joined Clough at Forest by then, was openly forthright about that matter. He said that until that point Derby, through Dave Mackay, had bought players who they would have targeted if they had still been at the club but not Hales. 

But Hales was not the whole transfer budget for that season; four months after he arrived, we paid £175k for Gerry Daly, which was Colin Murphy's decision and he proved good value for money.

41 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Understandable, am I corrdct in thinking we went from Powell - Dorigo - Schnoor?

I really don't know - sorry. But what I can tell you about Stefan Schnoor is that he is an agent now.

From Wikipedia: As of February 2009, he is a player agent. His agency, Kick and Rush GmbH, represents, among others, Colin Kazim-Richards, Mathias Jørgensen, Marcus Tudgay, Giles Barnes, Christopher Poulsen and Wayne Routledge.

Looks like he might have been responsible for bringing Kaz here. Always loved the Schnoor.

6 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Hales' purchase was the sole decision of the chairman George Hardy who, ironically, had made his fortune by dealing in scrap. Colin Murphy had no say in it. The fee and the transfer were ridiculed from the outset by the football media and public, quite justifiably; Hales was simply very good in the second division but completely out of his depth in the top tier. Peter Taylor, who had joined Clough at Forest by then, was openly forthright about that matter. He said that until that point Derby, through Dave Mackay, had bought players who they would have targeted if they had still been at the club but not Hales. 

But Hales was not the whole transfer budget for that season; four months after he arrived, we paid £175k for Gerry Daly, which was Colin Murphy's decision and he proved good value for money.

Our first cat was named after the first Derby scorer the Saturday we got him.

That turned out to be Gerry Daly so I suppose I should have been grateful it wasn't Derek Hales 

Coincidentally my current board chairman is also an overpaid twonk called Derek, but there's no connection.....