Most despised XI

BaaLocks

5 hours ago, Brammie Steve said:

Richard Keogh made one mistake and is still popular with many fans for his years of loyal service.

John McGovern was brilliant for the Rams and scored the goal against Liverpool that got us our first league championship!

Do these deserve to be more unpopular than Derek Hales and Sam Longson?

Yes Sam (reluctantly) financed Cloughie's purchases but he forced Sir Brian and Peter out in one of the darkest days in the Rams'history.

McGovern was before my time but commented before Derek Hales was my first recollection of a striker and my old man put his poster on my bedroom wall. He was going to bring us the title apparently 🙄.

For me, he will forever be the most unpopular because it’s my first let down as a fan and realisation Dads don’t always tell the truth 😂

50 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

During my era, there are a few that spring to mind. I'd go for a front 3 of Earnshaw, Miller, and John. Earnshaw and John were especially reviled. I think for the manager it's a contest between Nigel Pearson and Phil Brown. I can still remember Brown berating the fans on the radio because he thought we'd boo'd Kevin Poole when people had chanted his name.... 

Anya won a hard-earned reputation in midfield as a complete scrounger by robbing the club blind. Whilst Savage won over a decent contingent of fans, a number still booed him when the announcer read out his name before kick-off. 

In defence, Claude Davies is an all too obvious candidate. 

These are just off the top of my head

Like most of Claude’s headers!

8 hours ago, angieram said:

Crazy list. Middleton and Moreland were both nice guys who would never replace in the fans' affections  the great players of adjacent seasons. Just weren't in the same class.

McGovern - classy footballer who played at the very top of the game for us. Did the hard work and was always under-appreciated.

A small element of Derby fans have always liked to heap derision on a scapegoat of their choice. Cyrus Christie, Kelle Roos, Morgan Whitaker, spring to mind from the recent past.

It says a lot more about those so called fans than it does about the players. 

John McGovern is one of my favourite ever players for Derby. Very under-appreciated and as you say, it says far more about the so called fans than it does about the player.

Som e players I was embarrassed and disappointed to see on the teamsheet, and wished they'd never signed for us were (in no particular order):

Craig Fagan

Darren Currie

Gary Teale

Jesse Lingard

Robbie Savage

Martin Kuhl

Mikkel Beck

Connor Salmon

John Harkes

Derek Hales

Barry Powell

Jay McEveley

Robert Earnshaw

Russell Hoult

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Som e players I was embarrassed and disappointed to see on the teamsheet, and wished they'd never signed for us were (in no particular order):

Craig Fagan

Darren Currie

Gary Teale

Jesse Lingard

Robbie Savage

Martin Kuhl

Mikkel Beck

Connor Salmon

John Harkes

Derek Hales

Barry Powell

Jay McEveley

Robert Earnshaw

Russell Hoult

Blimey, that's  a depressing list (Russell Hoult aside)

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Blimey, that's  a depressing list (Russell Hoult aside)

I was in Debenhams many years ago round Christmas.  Heard a smashing sound behind me as I was leaving and there was poor Russell surrounded by about 500 quid's worth of perfume he'd smashed when he'd dropped one bottle into a load of others. 

11 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Craig Fagan

Darren Currie

Gary Teale

Jesse Lingard

Robbie Savage

Martin Kuhl

Mikkel Beck

Connor Salmon

John Harkes

Derek Hales

Barry Powell

Jay McEveley

Robert Earnshaw

Russell Hoult

I remember when he had a purple patch amongst the dross and he looked like Messi for 5 games.  Then it stopped.  It was like that film Awakenings.

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

During my era, there are a few that spring to mind. I'd go for a front 3 of Earnshaw, Miller, and John. Earnshaw and John were especially reviled. I think for the manager it's a contest between Nigel Pearson and Phil Brown. I can still remember Brown berating the fans on the radio because he thought we'd boo'd Kevin Poole when people had chanted his name.... 

Anya won a hard-earned reputation in midfield as a complete scrounger by robbing the club blind. Whilst Savage won over a decent contingent of fans, a number still booed him when the announcer read out his name before kick-off. 

In defence, Claude Davies is an all too obvious candidate. 

These are just off the top of my head. 

Here he is.  Bit on Derby and murky Murdo,

10 hours ago, Srg said:

Mears only really become unpopular in the way he left, so I'd argue he doesn't fit your criteria. Teale was also a cult hero in keeping us up... who needs Robinho, we've got Tealinho etc etc.

Do you really think it warrants analysis? 😂

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

Deeney

C. Christie      Claude    Keogh 

B. Johnson   Butterfield Hendrick     

Savage

Paterson       Sammon          Tyson 

Bench. Buchanan, Leon Best, Mikkel Beck, Anya, Roy Carroll, Omar Mascarell, Albentosa, Blackman

Hendrick is for his post Derby career since, savage because everyone hated him. Personally I quite like him

Paterson because he's a red dog that was just here for a Mel Morris payday. f*** that guy