Most despised XI

BaaLocks

7 minutes ago, Somersall Ram said:

What a joke inc Keogh. Do you even know every manager who managed derby played him and was very popular contrary to you’re pathetic post

Ok Charlie. We get you love him.

11 minutes ago, Somersall Ram said:

What a joke inc Keogh. Do you even know every manager who managed derby played him and was very popular contrary to you’re pathetic post

I loved him until he got injured through his own stupidity, refused to accept responsibility, sued the club when we were in our darkest hour and continues to act like he loves the club.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

6 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

I am wondering if this thread qualifies as the worst one on this forum?

I don't think the thread works because the OP specifically excluded how a player left and how they were perceived once no longer a Ram. Surely no one should despise players while they're turning out for us, which is why I tried to word it differently by saying I wished they hadn't been signed and was embarrassed to see them on the pitch.

I like how some players come back and are well regarded, while others return and are booed mercilessly (especially when it affects their play). Though nowadays there are plenty who would object to booing and abusing players, because "mental health". I say do it if it helps win us matches.

41 minutes ago, Somersall Ram said:

He was very popular in the same way the class clown at school is, and used that to make himself the kingpin of the dressing room. Crazy uncle Richard, Karaoke star extraordinary, get the boys together for a sesh on the lash. Hey isn't it hilarious that a grown ass man has never learned to drive etc. 

When managers take over at a new club they tend to either go for a new broom approach, or they lean in on the most experienced members of the dressing room for insight into the squad. Guess who that would be?

Most of those who came in went for the former, with only Pearson choosing the latter route. Cue a threat to Dicky's position, so off running to Mel it was. He had a dangerous level of influence.

They were bessie mates as this point of course, and the offer of free rehabilitation but a lower wage probably wouldn't have happened without that being the case, something he leveraged to his advantage when it suited him of course. More fool Mel Morris though, it wasn't exactly difficult to do, even a simpleton like Keogh could manage it!

There would occasionally be attempts to replace him on the pitch but they were never really given enough time to settle in and we never adapted the way we were playing, which had been built for a few years around Keogh's attributes.

Edited by Kokosnuss

22 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I don't think the thread works because the OP specifically excluded how a player left and how they were perceived once no longer a Ram. Surely no one should despise players while they're turning out for us, which is why I tried to word it differently by saying I wished they hadn't been signed and was embarrassed to see them on the pitch.

I like how some players come back and are well regarded, while others return and are booed mercilessly (especially when it affects their play). Though nowadays there are plenty who would object to booing and abusing players, because "mental health". I say do it if it helps win us matches.

Seems to have the opposite effect on some, though! 

3 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

From what I remember if we had signed Lubos Kubik and Ivo Knofilchek they would have been the first foreign players to play in the old First Division. 

No they wouldn't have been even the first that season for Derby John Cheidozie had played two games for us earlier that season, one a particularly good performance in a 1-1 draw at Forest.

15 hours ago, Raich Carter said:Darryl Powell was a fantastic athlete and when he just did the basics, he was very good. The problem was, after one good season he thought he could play so started to try things that just didn't work (I.E. pass more than 5 yards) - hence "Darry Powell Football Genius" - laden with irony.

I will not say a bad word against Darryl Powell.  He gave everything he had and I think the problem was that he was trying to do the jobs of the midfielders who should have been doing the skilful work but were too busy hiding when the going was tough.  Mr Burley and Mr Kinkladze, you know who you are.

28 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Wasn't our gripe with man City who insisted on charging us the full loan fee for Mills despite the fact that he never played?

Most likely.  We sold 3 players who would certainly have helped get more points and probably helped us back up and spent it on wages for mercenaries and blokes who never played. 

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Most likely.  We sold 3 players who would certainly have helped get more points and probably helped us back up and spent it on wages for mercenaries and blokes who never played. 

From what I remember, only hossam ghaly emerged with any credit from that Paul Jewell spree.

The rest were dreadful, or crocks, or both...

21 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

I will not say a bad word against Darryl Powell.  He gave everything he had and I think the problem was that he was trying to do the jobs of the midfielders who should have been doing the skilful work but were too busy hiding when the going was tough.  Mr Burley and Mr Kinkladze, you know who you are.

He always put in a shift.  I do recall him trying to trap a ball twice away at Newcastle away mind and he then kicked it out of play.  I did think at that stage we probably needed more than what he had left in the tank to get out of a mess.

I’m not sure on the exact criteria but my most despised are players who think they are better than what they are and stroll around like they are kings of the joint.

So I’d definitely find a spot for the likes of Lee Camp, Danny Mills, Tom Lawrence, Kenny Miller and Fabrizio Ravinelli.

Rooney is a tough one. I don’t blame him for being here. But his presence pretty much undermined everything Cocu was trying to do. And he came back from Covid so unfit and overweight it was laughable.

Darren Bent is another. Not his fault. But he wasn’t the player we needed, we vastly overpaid him (again not his fault) and his presence had a huge detrimental effect on our playing style. 

8 hours ago, maydrakin said:

Fair comment. I was not a fan of Kinky at all. Really don't get what the fuss was about.

Lee Carsley - now there was a player. He knew his job and did it with utter focus. 

8 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

Fair comment. I was not a fan of Kinky at all. Really don't get what the fuss was about.

Lee Carsley - now there was a player. He knew his job and did it with utter focus. 

Bit like employing Michel Roux Jnr to work in your greasy spoon cafe and saying he takes too long to get the food out and isn't any fun on the staff night out. He was just on a different wavelength to the rest of the team. 

15 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

👍