Most despised XI

BaaLocks

I think the problem with these lists is that not only do they blur the lines between 'despised' and simply being not very good but they are a bit retrospective rather than reflecting attitudes at the time. My memory might be fading a bit but I don't recall much hatred for Robertson or even Burns when they were playing. Robertson certainly had a good relationship with the Popside and the dislike of Burns is more for the man he is now. The Forest thing wasn't such a big deal then as it is now, we were all far too busy hating Leeds, if we had signed an ageing Bremner it would have been a whole different ballgame. I might be looking back with rose tinted glasses but I don't remember the same level of animosity towards players back in the day although I would have feared for some of those names mentioned had the internet existed back then!

41 minutes ago, angieram said:

Crazy list. Middleton and Moreland were both nice guys who would never replace in the fans' affections  the great players of adjacent seasons. Just weren't in the same class.

McGovern - classy footballer who played at the very top of the game for us. Did the hard work and was always under-appreciated.

A small element of Derby fans have always liked to heap derision on a scapegoat of their choice. Cyrus Christie, Kelle Roos, Morgan Whitaker, spring to mind from the recent past.

It says a lot more about those so called fans than it does about the players. 

Oh, I agree. That's the point though, McGovern is a great example - never understood how he upset so many but, truth is, he did.

And I'm not always saying it's my list - just the ones I remember. As I said, I felt a bit sorry for Masson but I can clearly remember he was far from popular.

Edited by BaaLocks

I can't see how Lee Camp avoids this list, even if you forget about his time with Forest.

Mo Camara got loads of abuse in the promotion season, which was very unfair when you consider how poor his replacement was.

Claude Davis and Eddie Lewis make the squad (I didn't mind Lewis, at least he tried)

Kenny Miller is a definite as well for me.

35 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I definitely agree on Masson, but maybe it was just that his legs had gone and he was part of our general dismay about the rapid decline of the club. I was very disappointed that we swopped Leighton James for him though so he can stay on the list

I have another who I particularly disliked though, Kenny Miller. Just here for the money and couldn't give a s*** 

Kenny Miller did cross my mind and then I remembered the goal against Newcastle, possibly the only highlight of that season. But I agree.

Stern John and Kenny Miller have to be the front 2. Maybe Beck to make a front 3.

Stern John got the worst ever reaction I’ve heard. Think he was subbed on in a game and the whole ground booed. It spelt the end for Phil Brown. Never heard a reaction like that before or since to a Derby player.

Kenny Miller I think got chased through the car park after the Reading game last game of the season. A season of frustration came out right then. 

Other players who got murmurs:

Ramage, Pickering, Keogh, Sturridge - weirdly in the promotion season. 

14 minutes ago, enachops said:

Ramage, Pickering, Keogh, Sturridge - weirdly in the promotion season. 

Sturridge was really unpopular before he went to Torquay on loan - amazing the change in the player, and the fans reaction to him, based on that.

26 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

I can't see how Lee Camp avoids this list, even if you forget about his time with Forest.

Think most people can see that it was only really a bit of pantomime, although it did bring the heat.

He made up for whatever sins he'd committed by being absolutely crap 9/10 times he played against us, often gifting us an easy goal. He still loved us really.

Edited by Kokosnuss

Richard Keogh made one mistake and is still popular with many fans for his years of loyal service.

John McGovern was brilliant for the Rams and scored the goal against Liverpool that got us our first league championship!

Do these deserve to be more unpopular than Derek Hales and Sam Longson?

Yes Sam (reluctantly) financed Cloughie's purchases but he forced Sir Brian and Peter out in one of the darkest days in the Rams'history.

might be an unpopular one on here but tom lawrence has to make the list surely

i cant believe keogh has made it but not him

he was the main culprit of the drink driving incident that ruined 2 other players careers, acted like a petulant child through most of his time here and then left on a free after us getting relegated (where he got a stupid red card in a pivitol game)

just because he was talented shouldnt mean hes ruled out, he was one of the most dislikable people to ever put on a derby shirt.

not even mentioning him becoming mates with chris kirchner which was just strange and careless

Edited by alram

2 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Conor Doyle - A young kid who got treated like absolute dirt by many of our w***** element, largely because the owners some didn't like were American and so was he. Sure he wasn't exactly a blessed footballer (reasonably neat/tidy but nothing more) but should have been being judged as a youth player to develop alongside our homegrown lot. Instead you'd think he cost us £500k and was taking up a large chuck of wages such was the level of derision aimed at him whenever he played.

Morgan Whittaker - Treated like crap on the say-so of Wayne Rooney, and because he wasn't a 'blood and thunder' style player and would take longer to develop than Knight, Sibley etc. People still hold a weird grudge against him for daring to celebrate against us (which I'd assume was actually aimed at Rooney rather than the fans - of which he is one) and some ill-advised but really not that big of a deal media comments.

Conor Sammon was obviously rather divisive.

Sammon was not divisive. He had zero talent, and you cannot divide by zero.

Agree on Keogh. He suffers from McFarlandism. Any Derby defender not as faultless as Roy will eventually get slated by a small group of our fans. Having high standards is fine, but sometimes I wonder if some fans are based in reality. Keogh was absolutely fantastic for us.

1 minute ago, BathRam72 said:

Despise? Hate? Pretty strong words to use against players (or any one really) who were bought in to do a job. Not necessarily their fault if they don't 'fit the system' etc.

However, going along with this I would argue that Keogh and Mc Govern should never be in anyone's list to be honest.