Most despised XI

BaaLocks

SIlly summer season - how about a most hated Derby XI. Not necessarily the worst, but the team the fans just didn't like. For example, Francois Grenet, Mikkel Beck were just rubbish. It's the ones who got the boos, or at least a very muffled reaction, when their name was announced. And it has to be while they were with Derby - not because they went off to Leeds or wherever.

I'll kick us off (and try not to just make it a load of ex-Forest players, I could easily fill this with Paterson, Dowell, Tyson etc). Has to be players who really got on the wrong side of the fans):

Chairman: Mel Morris / Robert Maxwell job share

Manager: Tommy Docherty

Assistant Manager: Billy Davies

Director Of Football: Sam Rush

1: Jon Middleton

2: Tyrone Mears

3: Stephan Schnoor

4: Jacob Butterfield

5: Richard Keogh

6: Kenny Burns

7: Gary Teale

8: Don Masson

9: Rob Earnshaw

10: Mason Bennett

11: John Robertson

Subs:

- John McGovern

- Vic Moreland

- Robbie Savage

- Fabrizio Ravanelli

There you go, that's a pretty unpopular team to go watch.

3 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

SIlly summer season - how about a most hated Derby XI. Not necessarily the worst, but the team the fans just didn't like. For example, Francois Grenet, Mikkel Beck were just rubbish. It's the ones who got the boos, or at least a very muffled reaction, when their name was announced. And it has to be while they were with Derby - not because they went off to Leeds or wherever.

I'll kick us off (and try not to just make it a load of ex-Forest players, I could easily fill this with Paterson, Dowell, Tyson etc). Has to be players who really got on the wrong side of the fans):

Subs:

- John McGovern

- Vic Moreland

- Robbie Savage

- Fabrizio Ravanelli

What did Stefan Schnoor do wrong? I thought he was decent in his time with us, unless I'm missing something.

Nicky Hunt got booed off when Clough hooked him after about 20 minutes of a truly appalling display.

Stern John got dogs abuse. Much of it was due to him being ex Forest, but I recall him attempting to shoot from about 35 yards and nearly clearing the north stand. The booing that ensued is definitely the most negative reaction I've ever heard for a Derby player.

2 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

What did Stefan Schnoor do wrong? I thought he was decent in his time with us, unless I'm missing something.

I think Stephen Pearson gets into the side, skiving lily livered cheat. Mick Coop gets in both the all time worst 11 and this 11 ahead of Schnoor. I'd also promote Ravanelli from the bench to the starting 11. Very unfair on Keogh   

14 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Subs:

- John McGovern

- Vic Moreland

- Robbie Savage

- Fabrizio Ravanelli

I'll go with Leeds United. Middlesbro, Wycombe

Just now, Gerry Daly said:

I think Stephen Pearson gets into the side, skiving lily livered cheat. Mick Coop gets in both the all time worst 11 and this 11 ahead of Schnoor. I'd also promote Ravanelli from the bench to the starting 11. Very unfair on Keogh   

Pearson seems to get away with everything because of the play off final goal. I've never seen a central midfielder less inclined to even attempt a tackle.

I agree about Ravanelli too. He was a lazy knob who's main contribution was to take up spaces where Malcolm Christie would've been far more dangerous.

Fair point on Schnoor, I'll bow to consensus on that. Some good calls on the other posts - Anya, Malcolm, Stern John and Pearson all good calls.

I'm standing by Teale though, a more lightweight and (frankly) scared footballer I have never seen. I'm sympathetic to the reasons, got a bad injury and was never the same player but, a bit like Pearson, two or three turns of pace does not a decent player make.

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Strange title for the thread. There are a lot on your list IMO that just weren’t very good rather than despised. For example Middleton, Moreland, Masson and Teale (unless their misdemeanours have been erased from my memory). 

That is the point - I was struggling for a keeper so have probably broken my rules a little on that.

Moreland was (and is) disliked, more after his time for falling over, as Dalglish and Kennedy ran through us, on the opening sequence of Grandstand for years than for actually being a bad footballer.

Masson - sorry, he was exactly in the mould, a player that wasn't that bad but just carried the frustrations of the time from the fans - I remember being in the Normo End as a kid actually feeling sorry for him.

Teale - see above.

Conor Doyle - A young kid who got treated like absolute dirt by many of our w***** element, largely because the owners some didn't like were American and so was he. Sure he wasn't exactly a blessed footballer (reasonably neat/tidy but nothing more) but should have been being judged as a youth player to develop alongside our homegrown lot. Instead you'd think he cost us £500k and was taking up a large chuck of wages such was the level of derision aimed at him whenever he played.

Morgan Whittaker - Treated like crap on the say-so of Wayne Rooney, and because he wasn't a 'blood and thunder' style player and would take longer to develop than Knight, Sibley etc. People still hold a weird grudge against him for daring to celebrate against us (which I'd assume was actually aimed at Rooney rather than the fans - of which he is one) and some ill-advised but really not that big of a deal media comments.

Conor Sammon was obviously rather divisive.

Edited by Kokosnuss

20 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

That is the point - I was struggling for a keeper so have probably broken my rules a little on that.

Moreland was (and is) disliked, more after his time for falling over, as Dalglish and Kennedy ran through us, on the opening sequence of Grandstand for years than for actually being a bad footballer.

Masson - sorry, he was exactly in the mould, a player that wasn't that bad but just carried the frustrations of the time from the fans - I remember being in the Normo End as a kid actually feeling sorry for him.

Teale - see above.

How can you despise a player that “wasn’t that bad” and you felt sorry for? I don’t remember much to dislike about Moreland, he just wasn’t very good.

Nether the less, if we’re including players we just didn’t rate I’d add Caskey and of course Hales in the squad. 

Crazy list. Middleton and Moreland were both nice guys who would never replace in the fans' affections  the great players of adjacent seasons. Just weren't in the same class.

McGovern - classy footballer who played at the very top of the game for us. Did the hard work and was always under-appreciated.

A small element of Derby fans have always liked to heap derision on a scapegoat of their choice. Cyrus Christie, Kelle Roos, Morgan Whitaker, spring to mind from the recent past.

It says a lot more about those so called fans than it does about the players. 

I definitely agree on Masson, but maybe it was just that his legs had gone and he was part of our general dismay about the rapid decline of the club. I was very disappointed that we swopped Leighton James for him though so he can stay on the list

I have another who I particularly disliked though, Kenny Miller. Just here for the money and couldn't give a s***