Pure WarneBall

IslandExile

Now that 'ol bobble hat Warney (I do like him honestly) is in the throes of assembling a team "in his own image", do we expect to see WarneBall in its purest form?

I fear but hope it's not just:

1. run around a lot
  2. hoof the ball down the channels
  3. get to it and cross it early
  4. scrap for it in the box
  5. score goal
  6. defend the lead by running about even more

If we get 3 points after 90 minutes, they can play head tennis with the ball with the keepers arse sticking it in the net for all I care.

Warne has a proven track record at this level, whatever everyone's takes are on Warneball, to a man and woman, not one fan would be complaining if he delivered the League 1 title.

We've had pretty much every style going with McClaren, Rowett, Cocu and without fail, fans are only ever happy when we're winning.

If I was to put a more positive spin on your description of Warneball for balance.

1. High pressing, winning the ball back quickly in the opposition half.

2. Wing backs getting down the line with the ball, Kane already spoke of his dribbling ability.

3. Putting balls in the box giving decent service to Collins where instinct takes over rather than time to think.

4. Winning the balls in the box.

5. Scoring bags of goals

6. Defend the lead by cutting out silly mistakes, a solid back line with natural wing backs that are willing to cover the ground turning it into a back 5 without the ball.

1 minute ago, David said:

If we get 3 points after 90 minutes, they can play head tennis with the ball with the keepers arse sticking it in the net for all I care.

Warne has a proven track record at this level, whatever everyone's takes are on Warneball, to a man and woman, not one fan would be complaining if he delivered the League 1 title.

We've had pretty much every style going with McClaren, Rowett, Cocu and without fail, fans are only ever happy when we're winning.

If I was to put a more positive spin on your description of Warneball for balance.

2. Wing backs getting down the line with the ball, Kane already spoke of his dribbling ability.

3. Putting balls in the box giving decent service to Collins where instinct takes over rather than time to think.

5. Scoring bags of goals

6. Defend the lead by cutting out silly mistakes, a solid back line with natural wing backs that are willing to cover the ground turning it into a back 5 without the ball.

Yeah, that sounds better.

Job in PR for this man.

Number 6 is a very mis-informed point. His Rotherham sides that have been previously promoted have frequently pumped teams 3,4 and 5 and been the highest scoring teams in the league.

There is a bit of a myth in football nowadays that pretty and exciting football is passing around the back and having a million touches before the ball goes into the net. I would much rather watch my side get the ball forward quickly, be more direct and play more aggressive football. I would enjoy my Saturday evening pints after watching us score lots of goals in that manner whether people find this 'attractive' or not.

I think a lot of fans are mis-diagnosing last season as Warneball when we quite frankly, didn't have the tools to do it and he said on a number on occasions that he wasn't happy with how we were playing and it isn't what we wants to see from his side.

Judge him from this season and quote me if you want. We will get promoted this year and we will score lots of goals.

9 minutes ago, David said:

Not really needed, I don't think Warneball is anywhere near as bad as some make it.

Would we have sold 20,000+ season tickets had it been atrocious, being League 1 as well.

Fair points.

And my own position is that it's more of a 'fear' than an 'expectation'.

I actually enjoyed some of the games last season with, as you say, high press and move the ball quickly.

It needed that reset after all the sideways possession football. I just hope it doesn't go to the full extreme.

26 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Now that 'ol bobble hat Warney (I do like him honestly) is in the throes of assembling a team "in his own image", do we expect to see WarneBall in its purest form?

1. run around a lot
  5. score goal

If that wins us 25-30 games and gets us promoted, so what? 

8 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I don’t really get why we employ a manager who has achieved success at this level, surely that’s going to cost a lot more than just hiring fans who know how to do things even better?

Do you mean fans like this one?

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Do you mean fans like this one?

I don’t get the point you’re trying to make?

I’ve said I hope that it doesn’t complete our business because in my opinion it still leaves us short. Your thread has just simplified his playing style in an indirectly negative way as if it hasn’t been successful at this level before more than once…

34 minutes ago, David said:

5. Scoring bags of goals

If all you are interested in is the result you may as well just sit at home and wait for the final scores.

Oh wait...😀

6 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I don’t get the point you’re trying to make?

I’ve said I hope that it doesn’t complete our business because in my opinion it still leaves us short. Your thread has just simplified his playing style in an indirectly negative way as if it hasn’t been successful at this level before more than once…

Ok. RowettBall was successful to some extent because it got us in the playoffs but would you have liked to continue watching that style? I wouldn't.

Sure, of course, I hope we get promoted. But there's more than one way to skin a cat (sorry cats but it's the truth), and I think promotion can be achieved by playing football in an attractive way.

As I said in a subsequent post ^^^ mine is a fear rather than an expectation. Ok, the tone of my original post was, as you say, 'negative' but, at least, that provoked discussion - which is what we want on a forum.

I hope WarneBall is more like how @David described it than how I fear it.

54 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

1. run around a lot
  5. score goal

If it works,,,,,, why not?

Although I much prefer @David 's explanation.