Pure WarneBall

IslandExile

Warne has never managed a team with a decent budget before. He managed to get Rotherham up several times with a budget of about £40 and the hardest club in the country to sell to incoming players.

Let's see what he can do with more resources, and judge him at the end of his tenure.

Fwiw I disagree entirely that his philosophy is just "run around a bit". That's like saying all City do is "pass it around a bit".

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

Ok. RowettBall was successful to some extent because it got us in the playoffs but would you have liked to continue watching that style? I wouldn't.

Sure, of course, I hope we get promoted. But there's more than one way to skin a cat (sorry cats but it's the truth), and I think promotion can be achieved by playing football in an attractive way.

As I said in a subsequent post ^^^ mine is a fear rather than an expectation. Ok, the tone of my original post was, as you say, 'negative' but, at least, that provoked discussion - which is what we want on a forum.

I hope WarneBall is more like how @David described it than how I fear it.

It depends really. I just thought your description of it was simplified and pretty harsh. I think it’s a different style to Rowett’s style.

This season will allow us to judge the style a bit more in my opinion. Whether we have a better squad or not will be a matter of opinion but we do have more round pegs for Warne’s preferred style.

If we play relentless football that gets the ball forward quickly, gets it in the box a lot and gives other teams problems then brilliant. The ability to do that was stunted last year by players either unable to play that way or not enough energy to keep it up for the whole campaign. Natural wingbacks will make a big difference hopefully.

Don’t forget that Clowes gave Warne a 4 year contract, which might suggest some kind of long term plan/goal in place. I want to see progress in terms of performance and style, but I don’t know if Clowes will be expecting everything to click in to place not even half way through the contracted period.

9 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Ok. RowettBall was successful to some extent because it got us in the playoffs but would you have liked to continue watching that style? I wouldn't.

Sure, of course, I hope we get promoted. But there's more than one way to skin a cat (sorry cats but it's the truth), and I think promotion can be achieved by playing football in an attractive way.

As I said in a subsequent post ^^^ mine is a fear rather than an expectation. Ok, the tone of my original post was, as you say, 'negative' but, at least, that provoked discussion - which is what we want on a forum.

I hope WarneBall is more like how @David described it than how I fear it.

Agreed but we are not Manchester City who are in an envious position where they could sell any one of their first team and buy Derby and the ground and still have a profit.

We are Derby who are in the not so envious position of having a limited budget and relying on loans and freebies.

I personally think we have done pretty well so far under the circumstances and the future looks brighter.

Lets hope the high press, win the ball and get back at the opposition is entertaining enough for those who don't relish what they think Warne Ball is. Let's face it, we played the way we did last year with a team he inherited not one which he built.

This year should show more of his intent.

Time will tell, but if he get's us up I wouldn't worry what style we currently play.

Edited by BathRam72
Speeeeling

He seems to be discarding (for the time being) many of the advancements he made to his style of play last season and taking us back to something that he knows is a successful formula for promotion, so it'll probably look a little something like this:

...but not exactly like that.  Probably a less 'fun' (but nevertheless still effective) version of it, because we just don't have the same number of goals in our ranks.

103 goals overall that season I think, 70 in the league. 40+ from crosses, a lot of long range strikes, very little build-up play or goals involving more than 4 passes.

Edited by Kokosnuss

19 minutes ago, Topram said:

We played lovely football under Stevie mc and failed, QPR played ugly at Wembley and ended up going up… if we get 3 points im really not bothered how we play 

You should follow the beautiful game on teletext then (one for the oldies amongst us). 

I am looking forward to seeing us compete all over the field get the ball in the box as often as possible and defend by putting bodies on the line. Interspersed with the odd passage of creative football. I personally find constant slow build from the back football boring so it may not be pretty but if we win games bring it on!

2 minutes ago, CodnorRam said:

How can anyone complain about warneball. Possession football has absolutely ruined football , all the excitement has gone with the ball just being passed around your own box for 90 minutes...

Makes you wonder how Liverpool, City even Arsenal score so many passing around their own box for 90 minutes. 

Warne's teams play decent football, good footballers have always had a place in his sides. If anything his sides should be more pragmatic at times, in my opinion. He obviously likes the ball moving quick and attacking the opposition whilst they're unbalanced which at times has come back to bite us on the arse as doing this makes us unbalanced and unsure, but generally it's a fast attacking relentless approach. 

I like Warne - I think his principles are solid, his approaches and coaching are good. He strikes me as a man who knows exactly what he's doing and puts steps in place to achieve it.

It's definitely not a pragmatic defensive approach, it's made out to be.

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Makes you wonder how Liverpool, City even Arsenal score so many passing around their own box for 90 minutes. 

Wouldn't say Liverpool play possession based football, as for the other two, they have some of the best footballers in the world. Kinda helps.

I can pot a snooker ball, I can't see 5 or 6 shots ahead like Ronnie O'Sullivan. 

There's a reason why the further you go down the football pyramid the less possession based football you will see. 

11 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

There was a funny post the other day, someone put up a video of our away game vs Charlton under Rosenior and below it came a remark about how many of our chances came through getting the ball forward quickly through some direct play.

Of course, rather than someone admit that perhaps the rhetoric that Rosenior's teams play 'ponderous slow, sideways and backwards football in our own half' might be by somewhat exaggerated, it was 'omg Warne would get slagged as a hoofball merchant if that was his team'. It tickled me, anyway.

Edited by Kokosnuss

5 minutes ago, David said:

Wouldn't say Liverpool play possession based football, as for the other two, they have some of the best footballers in the world. Kinda helps.

I can pot a snooker ball, I can't see 5 or 6 shots ahead like Ronnie O'Sullivan. 

There's a reason why the further you go down the football pyramid the less possession based football you will see. 

I was of course debunking a generalised, over-the-top, observation with my reply, but of course you are right in saying that you can pot a snooker ball.

14 minutes ago, David said:

Historically, maybe, but things seem to be changing - at League One level, at least - and the direct teams are fewer and further between, the possession game and more technical coaching methods have trickled down. We hardly played any proper, direct teams last season. We did however see plenty of teams trying to play decent football but such a dearth of quality made them easy pickings.

Even in the National League the teams who rose to the top last season did so playing decent football (of course, money helped) that hardly resembled the old fashioned image of the lower leagues requiring you to deploy a bunch of hairy-arsed cloggers and a giant up front to succeed.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 minute ago, Kokosnuss said:

Historically, maybe, but things seem to be changing - at League One level, at least - and the direct teams are fewer and further between, the possession game and more technical coaching methods have trickled down. We hardly played any proper, direct teams last season. We did however see plenty of teams trying to play decent football but such a dearth of quality made them easy pickings.

Even in the National League the teams who rose to the top last season did so playing decent football (of course, money helped) that hardly resembled the old fashioned image of the lower leagues requiring you to need a bunch of hairy-arsed cloggers and a giant up front to succeed.

I enjoyed what I saw of both Ipswich and Plymouth. I thought both were at least trying to play the game as I prefer to see it played.

Dont you just hate it when players run, put the ball in the box and score goals? I find it so annoying.

Much prefer it when they play pointless passes between themselves 70 yards from the opponents goals.

How did Sky so successfully manage to brainwash people into forgetting what the important things in the game are?!