Pure WarneBall

IslandExile

32 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

Which is why you need grafting full backs who are good decision makers to avoid that scenario - I.E. early crosses from deep (as we've seen in the pre-season games) so they can get back as opposed to driving the the by-line as that's a loooong way back. And that's why you have a back three to block/buy time for full backs to get back.

We had many great seasons under TBE playing this system and I personally love it - think it's much more dynamic and exciting that 4-4-2. 

You're basically agreeing with me there.  The original post I was responding too was suggesting that our wingbacks will be playing more like wingers, and stay pushed right up to get lots of crosses in.  And like you say, you can't do that because it's a long way back from there if you get caught out.  

My entire argument is that if you want to build your team around getting lots of crosses in, it makes no sense to play wingbacks, because you are basically making it difficult for your wide players to hit the byline and cross and you end up crossing from deep etc.

And yeah we were great playing a back 3 under Jim Smith, but that was 25 years ago (and a lot has changed in football since then), plus we very much weren't building our team around getting lots of crosses in, we were much more focussed on getting the ball into the feet of whoever was playing in behind the front 2 (Asanovic, Baiano etc).

37 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

You're basically agreeing with me there.  The original post I was responding too was suggesting that our wingbacks will be playing more like wingers, and stay pushed right up to get lots of crosses in.  And like you say, you can't do that because it's a long way back from there if you get caught out.  

My entire argument is that if you want to build your team around getting lots of crosses in, it makes no sense to play wingbacks, because you are basically making it difficult for your wide players to hit the byline and cross and you end up crossing from deep etc.

And yeah we were great playing a back 3 under Jim Smith, but that was 25 years ago (and a lot has changed in football since then), plus we very much weren't building our team around getting lots of crosses in, we were much more focussed on getting the ball into the feet of whoever was playing in behind the front 2 (Asanovic, Baiano etc).

All very good points. We have scored quite a few from wide, deep crosses in pre-season tho' so that looks like what he's trying to do. I'm a massive fan of an Ace / Baiano flair player but obviously very rare at this level. Perhaps Sibs or, at a, push NML?

Not entirely convinced that a TBE formation/style of play wouldn't do well in this era - not just the players but the system. 

Despite Ward being a long way up the pitch at times on Wednesday evening he made some great interceptions to prevent counter attacks, too.

You could immediately see the improvement from when someone like Mendez-Laing was in that role last season.

It's a bit more difficult on the left hand side with Thommo as he's just filling in, but Cashin notably covered across a bit more there for him. And he was terrific going forward.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

So, is that first half Warneball? Or is it a pure fluke due to the magic of Fozzy’s testimonial? 

Is it Warneball?

First goal from a corner an og but it wouldn't have happened if we didn't win the header)- tick. 2nd goal a header from a cross - tick. 3rd goal some nice play once we were already comfortable and playing against an opposition who didn't offer much - check.

Before that's jumped on this isn't stated as a negative. 

We struggled for the first 20 minutes and didn't seem to have much of a pattern of play, but scoring from a set piece changed the game - I expect we'll see that a few times.

We've added the ability to keep a clean sheet against 'better' teams with our defensive recruitment, which helps the above.

The real test is what happens when we do go a goal behind, or play a team who deny us space in a competitive match.

Disappointingly there have been a few posts already where people have got carried away and started goading others based on things that have happened in pre-season. No need.

21 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Is it Warneball?

First goal from a corner an og but it wouldn't have happened if we didn't win the header)- tick. 2nd goal a header from a cross - tick. 3rd goal some nice play once we were already comfortable and playing against an opposition who didn't offer much - check.

Before that's jumped on this isn't stated as a negative. 

We struggled for the first 20 minutes and didn't seem to have much of a pattern of play, but scoring from a set piece changed the game - I expect we'll see that a few times.

We've added the ability to keep a clean sheet against 'better' teams with our defensive recruitment, which helps the above.

The real test is what happens when we do go a goal behind, or play a team who deny us space in a competitive match.

Disappointingly there have been a few posts already where people have got carried away and started goading others based on things that have happened in pre-season. No need.

That post wasn’t meant as goading people, sorry if that’s how it came across. It was a question to spark the conversation, can we expect to see more of that or was it down to the occasion?

My personal stance, I’m not getting carried away as I’ve maintained this view through last season and into this, is that is more what Warne wants to see. In summary, carry a threat from set pieces, press and win the ball high up the pitch out of possession, put crosses in and passes together when in possession. Attempt to blow teams off the park early-ish through hard work and skill, then see the game out. 

3 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

noooo not your post, just a few at half time 

I’m not disputing some of my posts on the other thread could pass as goading people, but all meant in good humour. That particular one was not. I’ve been trying very hard not to argue and dispute too much with people after my dressing down a couple of weeks back. I’m a sort of changed man