Pure WarneBall

IslandExile

I just hope we can find an identity on the field again. A proven recipe for failure is to change style once a year. I think the most underrated way of todays game is to have 11 hard working players turning the game at every opportunity. If, for example, the opposition press high with four players why knock it around and invite pressure? Jobs already done, just kick it up on open grass where your eager runners have a good chance to get to it first and exploit the open field. Early crosses is great if you have someone with a good chance of getting a touch on it and runners close by. Personally I am fairly optimistic still that Warne might actually produce some decent football as well as results this season. The slow build up play only for us to screw up was not something that suited us...  

19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Dont you just hate it when players run, put the ball in the box and score goals? I find it so annoying.

No, but I do hate it when players just run, put the ball into the box and miss the goal, run, put the ball into the box and miss the goal, run, put the ball into the box and miss the goal, run, put the ball into the box and miss the goal, run, put the ball into the box and miss the goal, run, put the ball into the box and miss the goal, run, put the ball into the box and miss the goal, run, put the ball into the box and miss the goal, then the opposition run, put the ball into the box and miss the goal, run, put the ball into the box and miss the goal, run, put the ball into the box and miss the goal, run, put the ball into the box and miss the goal, run, put the ball into the box and miss the goal, before it's back to your team to run, put the ball into the box and miss the goal, run, put the ball into the box and miss the goal and you see nothing more aesthetically pleasing, creative or inventive than that until one of the teams runs, puts the ball into the box and eventually scores a goal before the whole thing repeats, it can get a bit tiring to watch.

Thankfully neither that scenario or the one you posited are true to life.

Edited by Kokosnuss

Just now, duncanjwitham said:

Personally, I prefer it when my team has the ball.  Warne seems to set his teams out to run around like madmen to win the ball back, and then as soon as we actually have it, give it away immediately so we can run around some more.

Do any of the stats back this up? Or is this another myth to add to the long line of Warneball myths. Swear we controlled loads of matches last season and some of our possession stats were outrageous to say all we do is apparently boot it and run after it. 

I think with better players the system will look better on the eye. We had a couple of 'bombscare' defenders in the team last season in Curtis and Fozzy - who generally do the opposite of looking after the ball. Knight was guilty of being poor on the ball too. Bird can play better. Hoping with our improvements this summer it will look a bit better. 

I personally think as fans we are going to get very frustrated with his play and if we don't sign 2 or 3 scorers/creative players, we are in trouble.

I regularly see fans quoting three centre backs, Ward and Elder as wing backs and Bird and Hourihane as deep lying players in the middle - but then I see Warne wants to get it up the pitch quickly. Who to exactly?

I'm genuinely worried at this point. I can see us having an excellent defensive record, but only at the expense of being completely crap offensively.

Of course - if we sign those 2 or 3 quality starting players, then happy days and my tune will change, but right now, I am really concerned.

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I personally think as fans we are going to get very frustrated with his play and if we don't sign 2 or 3 scorers/creative players, we are in trouble.

I regularly see fans quoting three centre backs, Ward and Elder as wing backs and Bird and Hourihane as deep lying players in the middle - but then I see Warne wants to get it up the pitch quickly. Who to exactly?

I'm genuinely worried at this point. I can see us having an excellent defensive record, but only at the expense of being completely crap offensively.

Of course - if we sign those 2 or 3 quality starting players, then happy days and my tune will change, but right now, I am really concerned.

A combination of Sibley, NML, Barkhuizen, Collins, Washington, maybe Rhodes if he signs and any other forward players we add. 

Perhaps the players haven't got the hang of Warneball yet. In the interview post Salford match he said something about playing the ball across the back three and how it was pointless if not done quickly. And during the game sometimes we did and other times not. Maybe they've not got the hang of it yet, we shall see.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Perhaps the players haven't got the hang of Warneball yet. In the interview post Salford match he said something about playing the ball across the back three and how it was pointless if not done quickly. And during the game sometimes we did and other times not. Maybe they've not got the hang of it yet, we shall see.

Yep,……………….let’s cut out the middle man! 😁👍

spacer.png

22 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Regardless of manager or style this has always been the case recently. We used to boo the last “successful” team off of the pitch if we were 0-0 at HT. The unity PP had post PL relegation in the early 00’s has long gone. We even gave Phil Brown the benefit of the doubt for a while! 

Derby till I die or until we fail to wipe the floor with Fleetwood Town. 

We’ve got probably the best facilities in the league to push players to their physical limits, makes sense for our style to be based on fitness and being able to outrun, outmuscle and generally bully teams. 

The kind of football we like looks great, but against teams with 10 men behind the ball it just doesn’t work (as we saw last season). 

Press high up the pitch and the opposing team won’t have the time to sit behind the ball all game. Our strongest performances last year were from simply bulldozing the opposition into making mistakes. 

18 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Yep,……………….let’s cut out the middle man! 😁👍

spacer.png

You misunderstood - play the ball across the back quickly not slowly enough to let the opposition catch up, making the passing pointless.👍

5 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Now that 'ol bobble hat Warney (I do like him honestly) is in the throes of assembling a team "in his own image", do we expect to see WarneBall in its purest form?

I fear but hope it's not just:

1. run around a lot
  2. hoof the ball down the channels
  3. get to it and cross it early
  4. scrap for it in the box
  5. score goal
  6. defend the lead by running about even more

What’s wrong with all of that ?

7 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Now that 'ol bobble hat Warney (I do like him honestly) is in the throes of assembling a team "in his own image", do we expect to see WarneBall in its purest form?

I fear but hope it's not just:

1. run around a lot
  2. hoof the ball down the channels
  3. get to it and cross it early
  4. scrap for it in the box
  5. score goal
  6. defend the lead by running about even more

Just out of interest, how would you prefer we play? Is there a particular manager whose style you’d like to see as opposed to Warne’s?

I spent a long time wanting nothing but Dutch total football. Dreams came true when we hired big Phillip. Then the reality of lower division English football kicked in. And that was the Championship! This is league one.

If our team does these three things, I’ll be happy:

1) Bust a gut. Run their socks off. Fans leave the stadium never questioning how hard we worked.

2) Get the ball forward and with intent. No sitting back and defending for 90 minutes. Attack the game.

3) Score goals. Don’t give two pennies how they go in. Just score goals. 

17 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Just out of interest, how would you prefer we play? Is there a particular manager whose style you’d like to see as opposed to Warne’s?

Clough. Mackay. Smith. McLaren.

But you misunderstand me....I do like the idea of high press, fast movement, passing with purpose, getting forward.

The purpose of this thread was purely to provoke discussion on what we expect Warne's style to be, now that he's been able to bring in some of his choice of players and had a full preseason to get his ideas across.

7 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Lets be honest guys. Paul Warne is a nice Neil Warnock or Gary Rowett. He will take us up, and we will all enjoy that, but his football will always be kicka/whacka than tika/taka. 

Paul Warne is nothing like Warnock or Rowett. 

54 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Clough. Mackay. Smith. McLaren.

But you misunderstand me....I do like the idea of high press, fast movement, passing with purpose, getting forward.

The purpose of this thread was purely to provoke discussion on what we expect Warne's style to be, now that he's been able to bring in some of his choice of players and had a full preseason to get his ideas across.

I don’t misunderstand you - I’m trying to have a discussion with you about it! Haha 😅

I think we should all try and not get too tied up about the style of play until the transfer window shuts. Warne hasn’t finished recruiting yet and we should all know how significantly one player can change the way a team plays!

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

I spent a long time wanting nothing but Dutch total football. Dreams came true when we hired big Phillip. Then the reality of lower division English football kicked in. And that was the Championship! This is league one.

If our team does these three things, I’ll be happy:

1) Bust a gut. Run their socks off. Fans leave the stadium never questioning how hard we worked.

2) Get the ball forward and with intent. No sitting back and defending for 90 minutes. Attack the game.

3) Score goals. Don’t give two pennies how they go in. Just score goals. 

We had a few disagreements at the Cocu time as well, your 3 points though in this post I would guess nail what most fans want.

Number 1 being the most important.

A Warne team for me doesn't care if we lose the ball trying, as long as we try to win the ball back straight away.

Polar opposite would be Rowett where you lose the ball, just get back in shape and defend then try and hit the counter.

I get how the purists would hate that style, being on the back foot for 80 minutes doesn't breed much confidence.

With Warne though, it's just not the same world of football. I genuinely thought fans would be happy with this, surprised at the stick he gets.....on here.