Are we still a draw for players?

SK47

Last year, even though we were in absolute turmoil, we still managed to sign some good coup players (ie mcgoldrick, Hourihane, Roberts etc) off the back of having the Rooney/LR draw factor. 

I am a little concerned that as much as I like PW, I just don't know if we hold that same pulling power, especially with the likes of Roberts who seemed like he enjoyed his season of first team football, deciding to swap everything we have here, big stadium, top training facilities, top support etc, for Bristol... no disrespect to them but apart from championship football, they don't have the infrastructure we do and somehow we have missed that boat.

Didzy.. I understand loves his childhood club, but somewhere last year he was convinced to come to derby when he could of easily went elsewhere... but something made him want to come.. I know he could quite easily stay still, but things just don't seem as promising as they did last year on this front, even with the season he's had here.

Then there's the Knight situation..

Maybe I'm looking too much into it but I just hope players still want to come/stay who can make a difference. I guess we will see when the window opens but I just feel like we have lost a bit of shine to us that attract real quality players.. 

What do you think? 

Edited by SK47

We have all dreamed of walking out at PP in the white shirt , scoring in front of the South stand , kissing the badge and the fans singing our name . Unfortunately most players are fans of the top 6 in the Prem. The thing we do have going for us is - We pay top dollar in Tier 3. That’s the pull.

22 minutes ago, SK47 said:

Last year, even though we were in absolute turmoil, we still managed to sign some good coup players (ie mcgoldrick, Hourihane, Roberts etc) off the back of having the Rooney/LR draw factor. 

I am a little concerned that as much as I like PW, I just don't know if we hold that same pulling power, especially with the likes of Roberts who seemed like he enjoyed his season of first team football, deciding to swap everything we have here, big stadium, top training facilities, top support etc, for Bristol... no disrespect to them but apart from championship football, they don't have the infrastructure we do and somehow we have missed that boat.

Didzy.. I understand loves his childhood club, but somewhere last year he was convinced to come to derby when he could of easily went elsewhere... but something made him want to come.. I know he could quite easily stay still, but things just don't seem as promising as they did last year on this front, even with the season he's had here.

Maybe I'm looking too much into it but I just hope players still want to come/stay who can make a difference. I guess we will see when the window opens but I just feel like we have lost a bit of shine to us that attract real quality players.. 

What do you think? 

Early days yet and i can imagine there is plenty going off in the back ground

There are plenty of players who still dream of playing in front of 25-30k home support so yes there will be plenty that think coming to Derby County is a great move

Wouldn't exactly say we were some kind of huge drawer last year either. There was a reason all those players were available... mainly old and/or injury prone. Didzy did unbelievable, but let's not pretend he'd stayed fit too often in the previous seasons. Best signings we actually made for the long term of the club were getting Cashin back and Wildsmith.

1 hour ago, SK47 said:

What do you think? 

For a start, you are assuming we wanted to sign Roberts and put an offer on the table to his agent, until Warne confirms we missed out on him, I wouldn’t make that assumption.

McGoldrick has yet to sign for any club, all reports suggest he’s still on holiday.

Knight is too good for League 1, with a year left on his deal you would completely understand if he chose to leave for a club at a higher level which will also please his international manager. 

Warne could easily say you’re going nowhere, roll the dice and pray we get promoted and in a better position to offer Knight a new deal, however if an offer came in for a couple mil, that would help sign maybe one or two players to help build the squad.

Saying all that, as SRG said, it’s June 8th, a lot of players will be out in Dubai, Marbella or wherever with sand in their mankini’s yet to speak with their agents and families. 

There has been a total of 6 signings made across the entire League 1, that’s how early it is to be having any kinda concerns over the transfer window right now.

53 minutes ago, Papahet said:

January shown that Warne hasn't got the contacts to pull a rabbit out the hat..

Not allowed to pay transfer/loan fees. Wages cap. Outspoken meaning that he only wants players who fit both his requirements of a footballer and also his requirements of a man. Quite obviously, he didn't find players who cost zero, had modest wage demands, that played in the way he wants and were also of the right character.

This window, he may pay modest loan/transfer fees. My guess, and it's no more than that, is that we won't pay above £500K for a player. Wages could be slightly less modest than last years but still not extravagant. The way he works, the things he wants, they make it harder  for him to get a deal over the line. Partly because of his demands on the player/person and partly on the limitations we still have on transfers/wages.

To those that think we might not have the pulling power anymore.... gates averaging over 27K will interest 99% of  players. The facilities at Moor Farm will have L1 level players salivating. IMO. We have the pulling power

Edited by MadAmster

8 minutes ago, David said:

For a start, you are assuming we wanted to sign Roberts and put an offer on the table to his agent, until Warne confirms we missed out on him, I wouldn’t make that assumption.

Whether we actually offered him something we don't know, but he definitely wanted to sign him.

"let's just see what league we're in" would suggest that he knew he wouldn't sign if we stayed down, so possibly we haven't offered him a deal in the knowledge there'd be little point in doing so.

Edited by Kokosnuss

6 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Not allowed to pay transfer/loan fees. Wages cap. Outspoken meaning that he only wants players who fit both his requirements of a footballer and also his requirements of a man. Quite obviously, he didn't find players who cost zero, had modest wage demands, that played in the way he wants and were also of the right character.

This window, he may pay modest loan/transfer fees. My guess, and it's no more than that, is that we won't pay above £500K for a player. Wages could be slightly less modest than last years but still not extravagant. The way he works, the things he wants, they make it harder  for him to get a deal over the line. Partly because of his demands on the player/person and partly on the limitations we still have on transfers/wages.

To those that think we might not have the pulling power anymore.... gates averaging over 27K will interest 99% of  players. The facilities at Moor Farm will have L1 level players salivating. IMO. We have the pulling power

Exactly this. We're a big club and players will want to come here. Some will see the possibility of a league one promotion push better than mid table, lower half championship.

Let's not forget, Mcgoldrick, NML, Hourihane etc all had championship offers on more money but chose to come here.

Warne has essentially said he will never promise a player they will start or that we'll build a team around them. Because he's spot on. You come here to work hard and earn it and if you do then you will play and you'll do well. I want players of that ilk pulling the shirt on each week not ones who come here for an easy ride with no desire to work or spitting dummies out the pram when they don't play.

1 hour ago, SK47 said:

We're a league1 team that I'd imagine pays a very good wage for where we are, Bristol City are in the Championship and owned by a Billionaire(Lansdown), We don't know why he chose Bristol City over us, We don't even know whether HR was offered anything by PW, My guess is £££s played a big part, Are Bristol top 6 material?, I didn't think Coventry or Sunderland were but both got there, The Championship is a very average division so Bristol have a chance if they buy and play well.

People talk about DCFC that we are a Premiership club in the waiting because of the facilities we have and the crowds we can generate, The issue is...we're a league1 team, Money is a route cause...imo and there's a certain amount of players who would consider moving to PP, Lower Championship players, Up and coming/established league1 and 2 players and maybe 1 or 2 from the conference or over seas, There, Yes we have the pull over some, But £££ could be the issue.  

This time last year we were one week into a new ownership and had about six first team players on the books, and we still ended up bringing in some good players and very narrowly missing out on the playoffs.

I think everyone needs to remind themselves where we were versus where we are now and chill out a bit.

13 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Whether we actually offered him something we don't know, but he definitely wanted to sign him.

"let's just see what league we're in" would suggest that he knew he wouldn't sign if we stayed down, so possibly we haven't offered him a deal in the knowledge there'd be little point in doing so.

Cheers, missed that one. The League comment suggests he may have wanted to play at a higher level. Understandable.