Are we still a draw for players?

SK47

I’m not sure why you’re even having this conversation, of course Derby are a big club and even massive at this level. As has been said, there are lots of reasons players sign for certain clubs but I’d say ambition is one of them and playing at the highest level possible is too. Players can achieve both with Derby but if players are short sighted enough to only consider money the main criteria, unless it’s so much it would be crazy to turn down, you’d join a Derby before you’d join anyone else in this league and half the one above and that’s from a Bolton fan!! 😉

27 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

I think any player offered a contract with a mid-table division 2 side compared to a division 3 side need their heads looking at if they didn’t choose the highest division.

I know if I was looking for a job, main factors would be salary, level of work and future job opportunities especially if the only real negative was the office at the other place was fancier.

You could argue that if Roberts is confident in himself performing, he could well be playing in division 1 next season, either from a promotion push or a lucrative transfer.

Doesn’t your second paragraph kind of contradict your first?

Yes, as a rule of thumb, I’d expect most players to favour a club in a higher division but there are other factors for them to consider including salary, term of contract, potential game time and how convincing the manager is when he talks to you about the short and medium term ambitions for the club and the role he sees you playing in it.

Unfortunately i dont know much about warnes time at rotherham apart from that he did really well with a team with not a deal of money. Im hoping we can get some steals from lower leagues. Itd make a change from buying 40 year old rejects from the prem for millions 😆

Im so excited for him to start building a team tho. just wish we did business early in the transfer window for a change instead of last minute stuff. 

I think my thoughts on the matter (my OP)just stems from a weird hunch in which I hope to be wrong. I have LOVED PW here. I think he's a breath of fresh air, the way he conducts himself, his humour, his relationships with the backroom staff, he's been great. Results have also been decent.

I just worry about how he is perceived or thought of by the players, especially the older players or players with more accolades.. I remember his comments about speaking to Bielik regularly during the world cup because he'd never worked with anyone who had played in one (or something along those lines) and I just thought with that demeanour, would those "next level" players really respect or be inspired by Warne enough to be at Derby?

Hes a good guy, yes, but Does he have any accolades (bar the league 1 promotions) or a style of football that is recognised by Premier league teams to let us loan their players?

These are obviously just my thoughts and I know time will only tell. I really do hope however, Warne is a success because I really like him. I just hope this window, the players we need to make traction buy into him also 🤞

Edited by SK47

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Doesn’t your second paragraph kind of contradict your first?

Yes, as a rule of thumb, I’d expect most players to favour a club in a higher division but there are other factors for them to consider including salary, term of contract, potential game time and how convincing the manager is when he talks to you about the short and medium term ambitions for the club and the role he sees you playing in it.

I don’t think so.  If he has a good season in the championship, it will serve him much better than any season for us.

I would also expect that Bristol will have more spending power than we do.

I honestly think that playing in front of 30,000 will be very low down the pecking order against being able to prove myself against teams like Leeds and Leicester, rather than Cheltenham and Burton.

First team football at the highest level and total remuneration are the main factors.

Offering “Jam tomorrow” will only get us so far, especially when player will probably only play for a couple of years at any one club before moving on.

18 hours ago, ram59 said:

That's a very selective comparison of a championship club, I could easily say take a quick look at the training facilities of Premier league Luton Town.

I think that you'll find that our training facilities are on a level with a number of Premier clubs and better than most of the championship. Locally to me Championship Birmingham and Coventry are sunday league in comparison  to lg1 Derby. A quick search on google maps reveal that Derby's training facilities have far more buildings and outside pitches in comparison to every championship team I looked at. Obviously, this doesn't show the level of equipment inside, but the fact that we have had cat 1 status for a number of years, without being a Premier club, speaks for itself.

I was thinking more about Mels , “State of the Art “ assessment. West park has plenty of pitches . Did you look at LCFC ? I think that could be called “State of the Art”. Liverpool have just bought back the Melwood training ground for their womens team. But we know the Premiership is awash with money.

1 hour ago, SK47 said:

I think my thoughts on the matter (my OP)just stems from a weird hunch in which I hope to be wrong. I have LOVED PW here. I think he's a breath of fresh air, the way he conducts himself, his humour, his relationships with the backroom staff, he's been great. Results have also been decent.

I just worry about how he is perceived or thought of by the players, especially the older players or players with more accolades.. I remember his comments about speaking to Bielik regularly during the world cup because he'd never worked with anyone who had played in one (or something along those lines) and I just thought with that demeanour, would those "next level" players really respect or be inspired by Warne enough to be at Derby?

Hes a good guy, yes, but Does he have any accolades (bar the league 1 promotions) or a style of football that is recognised by Premier league teams to let us loan their players?

These are obviously just my thoughts and I know time will only tell. I really do hope however, Warne is a success because I really like him. I just hope this window, the players we need to make traction buy into him also 🤞

Given Warne has been promoted 3 times from League One I would think that your concerns would be more relevant once we are promoted to the Championship.  He has shown he can recruit players to get promoted out of this league.  Its the next level up that has a question mark over it.

32 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

I don’t think so.  If he has a good season in the championship, it will serve him much better than any season for us.

I would also expect that Bristol will have more spending power than we do.

I honestly think that playing in front of 30,000 will be very low down the pecking order against being able to prove myself against teams like Leeds and Leicester, rather than Cheltenham and Burton.

First team football at the highest level and total remuneration are the main factors.

Offering “Jam tomorrow” will only get us so far, especially when player will probably only play for a couple of years at any one club before moving on.

In your first paragraph you say any player offered a contract by a mid table championship club would be mad to turn it down for a league one team. Full stop.

But then you go onto list a number of other factors you’d consider if it were you - which I agree with. I agree though, playing in front of a relatively big crowd every home game wouldn’t be anywhere near the top of my list of priorities.

On 08/06/2023 at 08:33, SK47 said:

Last year, even though we were in absolute turmoil, we still managed to sign some good coup players (ie mcgoldrick, Hourihane, Roberts etc) off the back of having the Rooney/LR draw factor. 

I am a little concerned that as much as I like PW, I just don't know if we hold that same pulling power, especially with the likes of Roberts who seemed like he enjoyed his season of first team football, deciding to swap everything we have here, big stadium, top training facilities, top support etc, for Bristol... no disrespect to them but apart from championship football, they don't have the infrastructure we do and somehow we have missed that boat.

Didzy.. I understand loves his childhood club, but somewhere last year he was convinced to come to derby when he could of easily went elsewhere... but something made him want to come.. I know he could quite easily stay still, but things just don't seem as promising as they did last year on this front, even with the season he's had here.

Then there's the Knight situation..

Maybe I'm looking too much into it but I just hope players still want to come/stay who can make a difference. I guess we will see when the window opens but I just feel like we have lost a bit of shine to us that attract real quality players.. 

What do you think? 

It's the 8th of June. I bet your fun at parties, give your head a wobble (what does that even mean), wrist slasher, we don't need your kind of negativity around here....

Apologies, I thought I would try out being a neanderthal bully attacking other posters on a message board for having an opinion i dont like. Doesn't feel nice to be fair. 

I share your concerns. I have concerns that Paul Warne may be the issue. Maybe his constant GIFs are a bit full on, we have already seen ex players of his come out and question his training methods. 

To those saying "it's the 8th June", it's actually the 9th now and we are still in the same position.

But, let's see where we are come the end of July and then we can discuss.

Roberts is the one that concerns me, a young lad, settled, playing regularly and well for a club, but chooses the bench of a club managed by an Ostrich.

14 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It's the 8th of June. I bet your fun at parties, give your head a wobble (what does that even mean), wrist slasher, we don't need your kind of negativity around here....

Apologies, I thought I would try out being a neanderthal bully attacking other posters on a message board for having an opinion i dont like. Doesn't feel nice to be fair. 

I share your concerns. I have concerns that Paul Warne may be the issue. Maybe his constant GIFs are a bit full on, we have already seen ex players of his come out and question his training methods. 

To those saying "it's the 8th June", it's actually the 9th now and we are still in the same position.

Roberts is the one that concerns me, a young lad, settled, playing regularly and well for a club, but chooses the bench of a club managed by an Ostrich.

Exactly how I'm looking at it. Roberts was loved by the fans, our ground Is 10 times better, I'd like to think our long term goal surpasses anything that Bristol can get close to, our facilities.. but something made him choose them over us. Was it really JUST championship football? If so, fair enough but I'm not sure.

I fear that we may lose players that PW planned/thought would stay and in return, doesn't have the resources to replace them in the capacity needed to be successful in the long run rather than just for getting out of this league.

I know it's a process that needs time to be criticised fairly, but sometimes if you look outside and you think it might rain, you take a coat... and I guess in this scenario, I've got my coat on 😅

9 minutes ago, SK47 said:

Exactly how I'm looking at it. Roberts was loved by the fans, our ground Is 10 times better, I'd like to think our long term goal surpasses anything that Bristol can get close to, our facilities.. but something made him choose them over us. Was it really JUST championship football? If so, fair enough but I'm not sure.

I fear that we may lose players that PW planned/thought would stay and in return, doesn't have the resources to replace them in the capacity needed to be successful in the long run rather than just for getting out of this league.

I know it's a process that needs time to be criticised fairly, but sometimes if you look outside and you think it might rain, you take a coat... and I guess in this scenario, I've got my coat on 😅

When did you last visit Aston gate, I’d hardly say our ground is 10 times better. A capacity of 27,000 with two recently built new stands, one roughly the same age as our ground and one refurbished.

3 minutes ago, SK47 said:

I suspect Warne doesn't make false promises. He seems fairly straight up and given Roberts allegedly said he prefers playing at centre half and Warne likes tall CBs- is there a chance Warne told him as much as he'd like him at the club, he couldn't promise him being first choice in his favoured position and would play more at wingback?

That lack of assurance (which is just honesty) plus the allure of playing a division higher would be more than enough to tempt Roberts away.

Obviously speculation, but I just get the impression that Warne is very upfront about what is required from players under him. Hard work, dedication, and a lot of running- I don't think many of our singings over the last decade would fit this profile of player. It does make recruitment trickier because it detracts players looking for an easy 'big money' move but hopefully it means all our recruits fit our system really well. We'll see.

21 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I suspect Warne doesn't make false promises. He seems fairly straight up and given Roberts allegedly said he prefers playing at centre half and Warne likes tall CBs- is there a chance Warne told him as much as he'd like him at the club, he couldn't promise him being first choice in his favoured position and would play more at wingback?

That lack of assurance (which is just honesty) plus the allure of playing a division higher would be more than enough to tempt Roberts away.

Obviously speculation, but I just get the impression that Warne is very upfront about what is required from players under him. Hard work, dedication, and a lot of running- I don't think many of our singings over the last decade would fit this profile of player. It does make recruitment trickier because it detracts players looking for an easy 'big money' move but hopefully it means all our recruits fit our system really well. We'll see.

That would be something in Warne's favour because Roberts looked ordinary as a centre-half and only looked promising as a FB.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

bored jack nicholson GIF

We’d all better accept the current squad pending any further transfers out as being what we have for the current season then… 🙄 

It’s going to be a summer of discontent, believe me. Players don’t want to play for him. Whatever will get will be the scraps with no other options.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

As someone who has directly responded to one of your posts today I apologise if you found that to be bullying, that’s not my intention. I’m looking to present a bit of rationale and calm. You’ve taken a comment in an interview with Hourihane and him taking a job training young players as a sign he doesn’t want to be here, I’ve suggested it’s not that based on the full interview he gave.
You’re now suggesting Paul Warne is the reason we haven’t signed Haydon Roberts and/or other players….based on what? Roberts wasn’t our player, he enjoyed a good year with us on loan and now has to make a decision that he deems best for his career having been released by his former employer. His motivations for what the decision is are unknown as yet. He might see Bristol as a better prospect than Derby, established in the league above, with a billionaire owner, perhaps there’s a project he’s been sold there that he believes in more than the one here? Bristol is closer to Brighton and London, perhaps he wants to be nearer to family. Bristol is a very cool city, especially for a young man with a bit of cash in his pocket, maybe that appeals. 
So far there is no evidence that we’re losing Roberts or any other rumoured target due to Paul Warne. We might sign a series of world beaters before the transfer deadline, we simply don’t know. So for those of you with concerns, fair enough that’s how you feel, but your concerns are seemingly based on a lack of evidence rather than the presence of any evidence and that strikes me as odd. There are people who clearly dislike Warne and advertise that fact, but until there’s more information out there about who we have and haven’t signed, and more than likely closer to the season starting, I really don’t get how people are coming to the conclusions they are, other than speculation and opinion in the absence of any news. 

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s going to be a summer of discontent, believe me. Players don’t want to play for him. Whatever will get will be the scraps with no other options.

And this is based on what other than your personal opinion of Warne? If players didn’t want to play for him he wouldn’t have signed players at his former club. He wouldn’t have signed the handful of loan players he did in January. There is no evidence that I have seen in which a player has said “I don’t want to play for Paul Warne”