Are we still a draw for players?

SK47

Assuming Roberts does go Bristol City and McGoldrick does go Notts, yes both are disappointing and to add insult to injury we were basically McGoldrick FC for the final 2 months of last season. But its far too early for us to be getting our knickers in a twist. Let's see where we are in a months time.

Pros

• The window hasn't opened yet
  • Mark Thomas has a good reputation as head of recruitment
  • We'll have been able to identify players since January
  • We're a big club for the division

Cons

• Warne's transfer acumen in Jan and at Rotherham leaves a lot to be desired
  • Top scorer is leaving for free to a lower league side
  • We're going to need to sign around 10 players

3 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

I think we have to be a little bit careful that we don't fall for Mels “State of the Art” description of Moor Farm. Take a quick look at the training facilities of Championship Leicester City.

That's a very selective comparison of a championship club, I could easily say take a quick look at the training facilities of Premier league Luton Town.

I think that you'll find that our training facilities are on a level with a number of Premier clubs and better than most of the championship. Locally to me Championship Birmingham and Coventry are sunday league in comparison  to lg1 Derby. A quick search on google maps reveal that Derby's training facilities have far more buildings and outside pitches in comparison to every championship team I looked at. Obviously, this doesn't show the level of equipment inside, but the fact that we have had cat 1 status for a number of years, without being a Premier club, speaks for itself.

7 hours ago, SK47 said:

Last year, even though we were in absolute turmoil, we still managed to sign some good coup players (ie mcgoldrick, Hourihane, Roberts etc) off the back of having the Rooney/LR draw factor. 

I am a little concerned that as much as I like PW, I just don't know if we hold that same pulling power, especially with the likes of Roberts who seemed like he enjoyed his season of first team football, deciding to swap everything we have here, big stadium, top training facilities, top support etc, for Bristol... no disrespect to them but apart from championship football, they don't have the infrastructure we do and somehow we have missed that boat.

Didzy.. I understand loves his childhood club, but somewhere last year he was convinced to come to derby when he could of easily went elsewhere... but something made him want to come.. I know he could quite easily stay still, but things just don't seem as promising as they did last year on this front, even with the season he's had here.

Then there's the Knight situation..

Maybe I'm looking too much into it but I just hope players still want to come/stay who can make a difference. I guess we will see when the window opens but I just feel like we have lost a bit of shine to us that attract real quality players.. 

What do you think? 

I think the PW argument does hold water in the loan department. Prem clubs may want starlets to play more 'football'

8 minutes ago, glyn1957 said:

In a word ,No.

Surely it’s all relative.
Are we a draw in comparison to premier league and some championship clubs? Perhaps not due to the league we’re currently in, the wages we can offer comparatively etc.

Are we a draw compared to some championship clubs, league one, league two, Scottish league, Irish league, non-league clubs etc… probably yes. Due to the league we’re in, the wages we can offer comparatively, the size of our fan base, the prospect of a promotion bid, the stadium, the training facilities, the history of the club etc etc.

Other factors may play a part too like geography, family, the manager, the culture, the playing style etc.

It’s not a simple binary question with a simply binary answer, nothing is in football or with this club. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

4 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Assuming Roberts does go Bristol City and McGoldrick does go Notts, yes both are disappointing and to add insult to injury we were basically McGoldrick FC for the final 2 months of last season. But its far too early for us to be getting our knickers in a twist. Let's see where we are in a months time.

Pros

• The window hasn't opened yet
  • Mark Thomas has a good reputation as head of recruitment
  • We'll have been able to identify players since January
  • We're a big club for the division

Cons

• Warne's transfer acumen in Jan and at Rotherham leaves a lot to be desired
  • Top scorer is leaving for free to a lower league side
  • We're going to need to sign around 10 players

I don’t think you can say PW’s transfer dealings in January is necessary an indication of poor acumen. The January window is notoriously difficult and this year our opportunities were further hindered by the restrictions we were under. 

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t think you can say PW’s transfer dealings in January is necessary an indication of poor acumen. The January window is notoriously difficult and this year our opportunities were further hindered by the restrictions we were under. 

Always a topic that splits the room. Some think we didn’t have much choice, others like me think we disappointed. But I accept with restrictions lifted, now will be the true showing of his pull.

9 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Always a topic that splits the room. Some think we didn’t have much choice, others like me think we disappointed. But I accept with restrictions lifted, now will be the true showing of his pull.

Maybe we (and PW) ended up disappointed BECAUSE we didn’t have much choice. 🤷🏻

Last season we were the 3rd highest supported club behind only play off chasing sunderland (no shame there) and automatic to the prem chasing sheff united by about 500 fans.

We were also better supported than several premiership sides

we are a big deal, in football if derby county come knocking u sit up and take notice.

it sounds bullshey but its true 

Weve just fell on hard time last few seasons but now the shackles are off slightly if we come kncoking theyll be players wanting to join us 

It's the same every season. Since when do we sign players before July? Very rarely. It's fine for the Premier League teams because they would have lined up targets months ago and they have financial muscle to prepare deals in place well before pre season. Liverpool have been after the Brighton lad since January and offering him silly wages. League One teams have to be patient because no doubt they'll be plenty of clubs agents will have spoken to and happily bounce off one another to secure the best deal.

I wouldn't worry. At least we've got more than a 5 a side team this summer.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I think that we also have to remember our form at the time. PW only wanted to bring in players to improve the team and in January this was a very high bar, as we were on a great run. Had we had the March form in January, maybe PW would have inclined to set the bar lower when looking at players to improve his squad?

This fact added to the other difficulties that we faced in the January window, including one player, possibly Hugill, who had agreed to join us until his agent helped change his mind.

We're the biggest draw for players in League 1 and 2 by a long way now that our 2 biggest competitors went up and thats all that matters. We're not going to be signing prem quality players or top quality championship players, but nobody else is either

I confess I haven't read other comments but in response to the OP...

Rosenior was clearly able to entice people with the 'project' and the enormous potential at the club. I don't think finishing 7th changes that too much. I still expect us to attract young talent, players coming into their prime and quality coming towards the end of their careers.

The thing I think PW really needs to get right is the blend between genuine, quality match-winning talent, and the athleticism, die for the cause stuff that served him well at Rotherham. We are a different proposition and I am still slightly concerned that players with technical quality may be put off by his demands for running about a lot.

It's early days.

2 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

I confess I haven't read other comments but in response to the OP...

Rosenior was clearly able to entice people with the 'project' and the enormous potential at the club. I don't think finishing 7th changes that too much. I still expect us to attract young talent, players coming into their prime and quality coming towards the end of their careers.

The thing I think PW really needs to get right is the blend between genuine, quality match-winning talent, and the athleticism, die for the cause stuff that served him well at Rotherham. We are a different proposition and I am still slightly concerned that players with technical quality may be put off by his demands for running about a lot.

It's early days.

Pretty much where I'm at, but I'm not expecting us to sign "quality coming towards the end of their careers" for the reason you state in the second half of paragraph 2 

It definitely is too early to draw any conclusions though, we simply don't know who our actual targets are.

That said I'd hope that if we have do an A, B, C & D list, that quite a few of the the lazy/ made up / agent fueled rumours we've seen so far are for players in lists B, C & D, otherwise...  concerns will be unavoidable.

Edited by Kokosnuss

I think any player offered a contract with a mid-table division 2 side compared to a division 3 side need their heads looking at if they didn’t choose the highest division.

I know if I was looking for a job, main factors would be salary, level of work and future job opportunities especially if the only real negative was the office at the other place was fancier.

You could argue that if Roberts is confident in himself performing, he could well be playing in division 1 next season, either from a promotion push or a lucrative transfer.