Are we still a draw for players?

SK47

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

We have all dreamed of walking out at PP in the white shirt , scoring in front of the South stand , kissing the badge and the fans singing our name . Unfortunately most players are fans of the top 6 in the Prem. The thing we do have going for us is - We pay top dollar in Tier 3. That’s the pull.

My guess is that playing for the club you support isn’t necessarily the main attraction for the majority of players when it comes to considering a transfer. It probably doesn’t become an issue very often.

As you say, wages will be one of the main factors along with:

size of the club (tick)

training facilities (tick)

potential to be part of a successful team (probably a tick. I would hope PW could convince most potential signings that we really should be a serious contender next season)

character of the manager, and consequently the team (a tick unless you’re afraid of hard work)

likely game time (probably a tick considering PW seems to like a fairly small squad)

potential to progress your own career (probably a tick if you’ve been convinced on the above)

style of football (won’t be attractive to everyone but then PW probably wouldn’t approach players who’s style wouldn’t fit)

managers reputation (probably a tick for lower league players but more uncertain for others prepared to potentially drop down a league)

In this day and age, if players sign because of a manager they must be mad. Managers come and go like a milkman in the 80’s! 
Players are interested in salary and length of contract and all the infrastructure that surrounds the club. 
We’re a big club in League one and we will be more attractive than half the Championship teams due to what we can offer a player. 

The owner employed a manager in Warne who has a track record of getting promotion from the third division and did it spending very little money - I am sure that is the current plan also - does a player want to play in front of big crowds every other week then yes we are a big option for them, if it’s just about the money then they will probably go elsewhere.

we are a great option for younger players who want to prove a point and progress as well as a great option for a experienced player who actually knows what the football pyramid is actually like and how lucky they would be to be given the opportunity to play for Derby County 

27 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

Just look at PP, Moor Farm, the fans other facilities. We are a premier league club. Of course we are attractive to players

we will be attractive for a league one side

not elsewhere

34 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

Just look at PP, Moor Farm, the fans other facilities. We are a premier league club. Of course we are attractive to players

I think we have to be a little bit careful that we don't fall for Mels “State of the Art” description of Moor Farm. Take a quick look at the training facilities of Championship Leicester City.

We will see - but I do concede that there is a marked difference between Rooney (and probably Rosenior) and Warne. Not to say Warne isn't a manager held in high esteem, because he is (relatively), but I made a comment on Haydon Roberts that the club, all things being equal financially, probably could've and should've won that signing.

It's still very early days so let's see how it plays out - it will be important for Clowes to see how the people he's hired are selling the club. It's all a learning experience for him at the moment. If we aren't able to compete and it's not financial and for no good reason then it's something we need to look into - the standards of the club will continue to be raised (I'm sure) as we come out of this grace period from nearly going extinct.

7 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

We will see - but I do concede that there is a marked difference between Rooney (and probably Rosenior) and Warne. Not to say Warne isn't a manager held in high esteem, because he is (relatively), but I made a comment on Haydon Roberts that the club, all things being equal financially, probably could've and should've won that signing.

It's still very early days so let's see how it plays out - it will be important for Clowes to see how the people he's hired are selling the club. It's all a learning experience for him at the moment. If we aren't able to compete and it's not financial and for no good reason then it's something we need to look into - the standards of the club will continue to be raised (I'm sure) as we come out of this grace period from nearly going extinct.

Personally don't see the problem. We've had the name manager multiple times over the past decade and it got us precisely absolutely nowhere. 

Now, there's no evidence over who Warne can and can't attract right now, but for arguments sake, let's say he can't pull in big names... so? How about we get a team that wants to be here to work and fight for the shirt. How refreshing that might be.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Personally don't see the problem. We've had the name manager multiple times over the past decade and it got us precisely absolutely nowhere. 

Now, there's no evidence over who Warne can and can't attract right now, but for arguments sake, let's say he can't pull in big names... so? How about we get a team that wants to be here to work and fight for the shirt. How refreshing that might be.

I agree, providing it's not a problem of him getting the players he wants. If he's missing out on players that he really wants here, who he thinks can help us, then that's when it becomes a problem. I'm sure when competing with the likes of Fleetwood, Lincoln, etc we will be fine but it's when Championship teams come sniffing and if the players are talented (like we hope) then we shouldn't be surprised if Championship teams are interested. We just need to be able to hold our own to sign enough of them. 

If we are losing out to Barnsley, Bolton, etc. It would also be a problem. 

37 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

In this day and age, if players sign because of a manager they must be mad. Managers come and go like a milkman in the 80’s! 
Players are interested in salary and length of contract and all the infrastructure that surrounds the club. 
We’re a big club in League one and we will be more attractive than half the Championship teams due to what we can offer a player. 

I think that at our level the manager in charge will still be an important, but not necessary the most important, factor. 

I doubt many players will join a club managed by someone who they don't think they'll get on with or who's style of management and play doesn't suit them in the knowledge that that manager may not be around throughout the contract they have been offered. Equally, if they like a manager, his management style and type of football he likes to play, they're unlikely to be put off just because he may not be around for long. Players can, and have to, deal with the here and now.

48 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Is our manager attractive?

It’s a good question. I suspect he is marmite. Some will like him, some won’t.

Personally I think I would prefer Job Seeker Allowance than have to listen to him on the touchline and in the changing room.

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

Personally I think I would prefer Job Seeker Allowance than have to listen to him on the touchline and in the changing room.

This will be an interesting off season to see if he can attract players. Obviously Rosenoir had no problem doing it, but so far, by all accounts he appears to be failing with Roberts and Didzy.

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

We'd all like to think that but you've got to look at it from the player's point of view. At what level does a player want to play? In the case of Roberts he might be looking at SBC or lower half PL, we don't know. However, as @Kokosnuss posted earlier in this thread, Warne has said QUOTE   "let's just see what league we're in"   UNQUOTE which may well suggest that he knew he wouldn't sign if we stayed down, so possibly we haven't offered him a deal in the knowledge there'd be little point in doing so. 

It may well be that we only had a chance of signing the lad if he got no offers from SBC clubs. So many imponderables we fans don't know so making an informed decision becomes rather difficult. 

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

This will be an interesting off season to see if he can attract players. Obviously Rosenoir had no problem doing it, but so far, by all accounts he appears to be failing with Roberts and Didzy.

I heard they said the WHY Wall stood for We Hate You.

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

Edited by i-Ram

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I like him , he has my full support. However football is such a cutthroat business , I hope we get a good run of minnows at the start of the season to take the pressure off.

Just now, jimtastic56 said:

I like him , he has my full support. However football is such a cutthroat business , I hope we get a good run of minnows at the start of the season to take the pressure off.

I don’t take to him, but he has my full support. He will have failed though if he doesn’t get us up next season no matter what order we play the ‘minnows’.