Things you miss

dog

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Making dens out of hay bales in the fields then fleeing like rats when the farmer turns up in his tractor.

These we’re the traditional small bales that used to poo out the back of the machine as it went along, not these massive ones they have now.

I sometimes think that the only reason they have those massive ones is to stop kids making dens.

14 hours ago, Geriatram said:

In another topic on here, Anagram talks about the cruddy lard sold on the concourse at Pride Park. Of course I know he doesn't mean bread and lard sandwiches. But I was brought up on lard and dripping on bread. I have been married 60 years this year and have never had dripping or lard in that time. I never realised that I have missed either but having read that/this post I think I have. Anyone else eaten Dripping or lard? 

Had beef dripping on bread regularly in the 1960s, but not since here. I have had it though on trips to Poland, where it's a standard bar snack, but I think that's pork dripping.

One thing I don't miss about the early 60's was having to eat brains on toast for tea. Grey mush!! And boiled white cabbage from the garden which had been cooked for at least 45 minutes and usually managed to contain something very pale and dead no matter how carefully it was washed.  Although I've been veggie for the last 40 years I loved toast and dripping with plenty of salt and jelly and bread and lard.

Great thread btw.

Edited by Miggins

16 hours ago, Geriatram said:

In another topic on here, Anagram talks about the cruddy lard sold on the concourse at Pride Park. Of course I know he doesn't mean bread and lard sandwiches. But I was brought up on lard and dripping on bread. I have been married 60 years this year and have never had dripping or lard in that time. I never realised that I have missed either but having read that/this post I think I have. Anyone else eaten Dripping or lard? 

Yep, Chip fat it was, We never had a fridge we had a thrall(cold tiled slab)in the pantry, It would rip you bread to pieces in the winter and like snot in the summer

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

Making dens out of hay bales in the fields then fleeing like rats when the farmer turns up in his tractor.

These we’re the traditional small bales that used to poo out the back of the machine as it went along, not these massive ones they have now.

We have pictures of us and the kids sitting on the big round ones , for every year from when they were 0 up to these days in their 30s. Never missed a year yet. Though it's harder for me to get up on them each year 😀

A chip pan!

Managed to just about keep ours going with an annual Boxing Day tradition until 2019, when family death then covid restrictions scuppered said traditions... which don't look like returning. 

Not seen the light of day for 5 years, and was only 1 day a year for decades before that!