Things you miss

dog

10 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Quite a lot of that stuff you don't have to miss at all - it still gets shown on those nostalgia channels. Recently I have watched episodes of Randall and Hopkirk, Alias Smith and Jones and Space 1999. 

I think the point was about how we all watched them together, at the same time. They were talked about at work, school etc.

There weren't tucked away on multiple channels.

These days something comes out on Netflix or similar and someone's bingewatched the entire series and posted spoilers all over the Internet.

Also, unless you're a real saddo (or confined to home for whatever reason) you can't possibly watch even a quarter of the content that is out there. It dilutes the experience  in a big way.

11 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Quite a lot of that stuff you don't have to miss at all - it still gets shown on those nostalgia channels. Recently I have watched episodes of Randall and Hopkirk, Alias Smith and Jones and Space 1999. 

It's great to have them on demand, Andy, I agree. However it's the excitement and occasion that I miss as much as anything. You had a favourite tv programme and you had to wait a whole week until the next episode. It was the excitement and anticipation that was all part of the experience. There was mum, dad, my sister and me all sitting in the snug living room round the fireplace, sleepy dogs on our knees, sharing our enjoyment of these programmes together. 40 years on, Mum now has borderline dementia, Dad died in 2008, my sister obviously has her own family and no longer lives at home. I can sit and watch these programmes on demand with my husband and thoroughly enjoy them but I guess what made them so special at the time and what I miss most are the memories of watching them with my mum and dad and sister when we were all together, snug and cosy round the fire in our pyjamas and a mug of hot milk, feeling safe, secure, happy and loved. X

4 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Sunday night bath night (after my 3 bigger sisters had been in the same bath water... and a single-use sachet of vosene... between us!  

God, we must've been right mingers!  🤣

*PS... If @Henrycav81 comes on spouting his mouth off about that last comment, it's all lies!  👀

I thought your sisters where ok you were a minger there couldn’t have been any vosene left in the sachet when you got it because you never looked liked you’d washed your hair😀

2 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Prawn Cocktail, Steak with chips mushrooms and a tomato, Black Forest Gateau. 

Keith took me to the Berni Inn in Wimbledon for his 21st. birthday. It was 1977 and I thought we were going because we were best friends.  I think I was very innocent. Menu as above and delicious! (Pre-vegetarian days!)

Edited by Miggins

i miss simpler times, when we were fewer and the land bigger.  Today it is just over a four hour drive up north to Akureyri, when i was a boy it took 11-13 hours depending on gravel road conditions.  You could find beautiful spots and stay there for days without meeting another human being, just birds, flies and fish, if that was on the agenda and perhaps a few sheep in the distance.  What, pay to plop down a tent?  Never.  Farmers or not, this was our land.

Tourists were few and far between, usually French or Germans on bicycles with backpacks.  The rest of the world seemed to not even notice that we existed at all.  We laughed as we passed them on potholed gravel roads in the rain and shook our heads.  What pleasure do these maniacs get out of subjecting themselves to our harsh landscape and weather?  Oh but i understand it now, we still had what they had lost.

FA Cup final day, and the pomp, build up and helicopter coverage and the charity games with Daley Thompson, Rod Stewart and a bunch of actors playing. Coverage also free to air on both BBC and ITV, with 3pm kick off. I used to love the roar when the winning captain raised the trophy. The losing fans would also stay behind and watch instead of rushing away.