Things you miss

dog

My parents never had a car and so in the 1960's my grandpa and nanna would take us all to Milford on Cannock Chase on fine Sunday afternoons. Nanna would pack a picnic and when we got there the windbreak would be put up, rugs spread on the ground, the tennis rackets from the boot. We would go for a walk with Petra our dog whilst the ladies sat on the rug and chatted.My sister and I would play 'The Man fron U.N.C.L.E.' rolling around in the bracken, or we would be horses galloping along the grassy paths! Picnic was always salad, salmon, cake, bread and butter and it was always delicious. We would walk over to the ice cream shop and all have a Mr. Whippy with flakes. We would listen to the Sunday chart countdown on the transitor radio. We would come back via Blithfield reservoir. The Adams singers would be singing 'Sing Something Simple' on the radio which I disliked at the time but now I find those old songs so evocative. Grandpa drove a ford Anglia, registration VOP 98. It was a small car. Nanna and grandpa in the front and my mum, dad my sister and me in the back with the dog. Grandpa was a chain smoker and we couldn't have the window open because of Nanna's stiff neck. The roof of the car was yellowed with nicotine. I was frequently car sick!! Nevertheless I miss those times and I am so grateful to my grandparents for those wonderful sunny Sunday afternoons and picnics. They were an essential part of my childhood and how I miss it all.

1 hour ago, Miggins said:

My parents never had a car and so in the 1960's my grandpa and nanna would take us all to Milford on Cannock Chase on fine Sunday afternoons. Nanna would pack a picnic and when we got there the windbreak would be put up, rugs spread on the ground, the tennis rackets from the boot. We would go for a walk with Petra our dog whilst the ladies sat on the rug and chatted.My sister and I would play 'The Man fron U.N.C.L.E.' rolling around in the bracken, or we would be horses galloping along the grassy paths! Picnic was always salad, salmon, cake, bread and butter and it was always delicious. We would walk over to the ice cream shop and all have a Mr. Whippy with flakes. We would listen to the Sunday chart countdown on the transitor radio. We would come back via Blithfield reservoir. The Adams singers would be singing 'Sing Something Simple' on the radio which I disliked at the time but now I find those old songs so evocative. Grandpa drove a ford Anglia, registration VOP 98. It was a small car. Nanna and grandpa in the front and my mum, dad my sister and me in the back with the dog. Grandpa was a chain smoker and we couldn't have the window open because of Nanna's stiff neck. The roof of the car was yellowed with nicotine. I was frequently car sick!! Nevertheless I miss those times and I am so grateful to my grandparents for those wonderful sunny Sunday afternoons and picnics. They were an essential part of my childhood and how I miss it all.

Did you live near Milford? If not, I never realised it was a popular destination.

10 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Did you live near Milford? If not, I never realised it was a popular destination.

Milford Common (next to Shugborough Hall) is about 40 minutes from Burton. To me at the time it was huge and on a Sunday there would be about 200 cars parked on it. You can't park anywhere on it now, except the designated car park area (tarmac). I sometimes take mum there for a bit of nostalgia, although now it looks much smaller than I remember. I think we all see things as large when we are small - christmas trees, the school field, the headteacher, the garden pond, Milford Common! Whenever I've had past pupils join me for work experience they've looked around and then remarked that everything is a lot smaller than they remember! 😄

Football substitutes who are ready to come on when the manager demands it. Why aren't they already wearing the shirt and the boots. Timed somebody yesterday at nearly three minutes. The game stopped as the "injured" player and his "doctors" stalled for time whilst the sub went through his messing about. Surprised he didn't shave and shower first!

3 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Football substitutes who are ready to come on when the manager demands it. Why aren't they already wearing the shirt and the boots. Timed somebody yesterday at nearly three minutes. The game stopped as the "injured" player and his "doctors" stalled for time whilst the sub went through his messing about. Surprised he didn't shave and shower first!

Perhaps he didn't have time as he was doing the other.

7 hours ago, TimRam said:

Saturday night tv. Dr Who, Generation Game, Starsky and Hutch, The Two Ronnies, Match of the Day.

Starsky and Hutch!! I was living in London at the time, training to be a teacher. Whereas now most students have a TV in their room, it was unheard of in those days and we all had to pile into the television room which was 15 minutes away. Starsky and Hutch night was standing room only unless you got there early. There were plenty of chairs but alas most were missing the supporting springs and so when you sat on the cushion you ended up on the floor! It was like being at the cinema with whoops, shouts and cheers!! The highlight of my week. And I had a poster of Dave Starsky on my wall. These days I just have to reach for the box set and watch whenever I like but it doesn't hold the same excitement and shared cameraderie!! Sadly it was a methodist college and drink was not allowed. Just imagine watching S&H with a crowd of fans with a glass of beer in your hand!! XX

TV programmes. Belle and Sebastian, The Herbs, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., The Two Ronnies, Not the Nine 0'clock News, Monty Python,Dick Emery, The Onedin Line, The Magic Roundabout, Rag, Tag and Bobtail, Tales of the Riverbank, The Woodentops, Picture Box, Andy Pandy, Listen with Mother, Randall and Hopkirk, Star Trek and Star Trek Next Generation, Adam Adamant, High Chapparal, Daktari, The Littlest Hobo, Alias Smith and Jones,  The Virginian, Space 1999... Oh I could go on!! The days when television was entertaining and we all sat round in the evening with a can of vimto and salted nuts!! The TV was the centre of our room, the fire was lit and the chairs were gathered round to share our favourite shows together.  I've missed loads out, but you get the drift!

22 hours ago, Miggins said:

TV programmes. Belle and Sebastian, The Herbs, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., The Two Ronnies, Not the Nine 0'clock News, Monty Python,Dick Emery, The Onedin Line, The Magic Roundabout, Rag, Tag and Bobtail, Tales of the Riverbank, The Woodentops, Picture Box, Andy Pandy, Listen with Mother, Randall and Hopkirk, Star Trek and Star Trek Next Generation, Adam Adamant, High Chapparal, Daktari, The Littlest Hobo, Alias Smith and Jones,  The Virginian, Space 1999... Oh I could go on!! The days when television was entertaining and we all sat round in the evening with a can of vimto and salted nuts!! The TV was the centre of our room, the fire was lit and the chairs were gathered round to share our favourite shows together.  I've missed loads out, but you get the drift!

Wonderful memories.  Wonderful times.  Family all as one.  👍

... But try telling that to the kids of today, who just spend all their time glued to a screen!   👀

I miss two way family favourites it used to be on Sunday Dinner times, records played for British Force posted oversea for their families in the UK 

A record for Gary and Diane out in BFPO 53, from Mam and Dad they are looking forward to seeing you in the summer of 1963 😂

And after that was They Navy Lark.

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

43 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

I miss two way family favourites it used to be on Sunday Dinner times, records played for British Force posted oversea for their families in the UK 

A record for Gary and Diane out in BFPO 53, from Mam and Dad they are looking forward to seeing you in the summer of 1963 😂

And after that was They Navy Lark.

Or the Clitheroe Kid.

5 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Wonderful memories.  Wonderful times.  Family all as one.  👍

... But try telling that to the kids of today, who just spend all their time glued to a screen!   👀

There's a 70 year-old kid here who spends all his time glued to a screen.

On 24/04/2023 at 19:30, Miggins said:

Quite a lot of that stuff you don't have to miss at all - it still gets shown on those nostalgia channels. Recently I have watched episodes of Randall and Hopkirk, Alias Smith and Jones and Space 1999.