Things you miss

dog

4 hours ago, cstand said:

This sums me up since I turned 60

image.thumb.jpeg.dc3379c8e0d89dfa8186903b4afd5ebe.jpeg

One of the things I have learned is to stop working when know I’ve had enough, the barrier to this before was that my brain still thought I was 24.

As my brother said to his wife when she asked him what he was doing today, he replied “nothing” she replied “but you did the yesterday” he replied “ I know but I didn’t get finished”

Like  others have mentioned, I really miss whizzing around and getting stuff done in a morning. These days it takes me twice as long, if not more. I miss being pain free!! It's not that I'm in agony, but I hate hobbling down the stairs in the morning when I used to skip down two at a time!! I can do an hour in the garden whereas I used to be able to do a whole morning. I can do 5 hours cleaning in the house but have to take it easier for the next two days. Whereas I used to be able to do a 5 mile walk, 3 is now my limit. My ankles, knees and back are pretty arthritic and they tell me when I have to stop. I'm not that old and the pain makes me feel older than I am!!

I used to arrive into my classroom at 7.30am and leave at 6pm. I wonder now how I ever did it!

As we get older we have to accept what we have lost and celebrate what we still have but it's b****y hard!!! ☹️

This is a message to you young ones!! Value what you have and take good care of your knees!!❤️

Edited by Miggins

1 hour ago, Miggins said:

Like  others have mentioned, I really miss whizzing around and getting stuff done in a morning. These days it takes me twice as long, if not more. I miss being pain free!! It's not that I'm in agony, but I hate hobbling down the stairs in the morning when I used to skip down two at a time!! I can do an hour in the garden whereas I used to be able to do a whole morning. I can do 5 hours cleaning in the house but have to take it easier for the next two days. Whereas I used to be able to do a 5 mile walk, 3 is now my limit. My ankles, knees and back are pretty arthritic and they tell me when I have to stop. I'm not that old and the pain makes me feel older than I am!!

I used to arrive into my classroom at 7.30am and leave at 6pm. I wonder now how I ever did it!

As we get older we have to accept what we have lost and celebrate what we still have but it's b****y hard!!! ☹️

This is a message to you young ones!! Value what you have and take good care of your knees!!❤️

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.

I miss knowing exactly what caused whichever pain or injury I’m feeling at any given time! 

I miss that (perhaps deluded) feeling that people in power feared being held accountable for their bad behaviour! 

I miss when every temporary traffic light WASN’T a three-way control! 

I miss the feeling that all humans mattered and the masses would fight for the ethical treatment of others instead of labelling everything a conspiracy. 

I miss George Michael’s creative genius 

I miss my amazing Gran Wendy x

16 hours ago, Miggins said:

Tell me about it! Averaged 15,000 steps a day whilst in Devon, whereas it's usually 7,000.

It was okay while I was doing it, now I've stopped I can barely move.

I miss dancing at the bus-stop, at the disco, in fact anywhere. 

All-nighters at Hot to Trot when it was at Venue 44 in Mansfield.

Spending hours browsing through vinyl is any record shop.

David Coleman saying....one nil.

The punk music scene just before it went mainstream.

Question of Sport when it was good and Charlie's goal against Real Madrid was on the intro.

Rushing home from doing O Level law at college in time to see The Sweeney

Posting stuff on Twitter without pausing and thinking 'Can I say that?'

Listening to the FA Cup draw.

Going back into my record shop after the pubs closed to play about on the decks mixing.

Leaving to go to a Derby away game at 8 am when we could get there in 3 hours and then not getting home until after midnight.

The Derby Evening Telegraph before the internet and when Gerald Mortimer was writing.

My VW Corado.

Eating midget gems without wondering which filling will fall out.

Dipping my headlights manually.

Car parking spaces that are bigger than the car you're trying to put into it.

The moment you first walk into a club and the bassline hits you and almost knocks you over.

Seeing the TV cameras at the BBG and looking forward to Hew Johns commentary.

Not worrying about speed cameras everywhere.

Hearing beep beep beep and trying to push a 2p coin in when you call a girl you fancy from a phone box and you hear her answer.

New Year's Eve when it was the best night of the year.

The first flat I ever owned that looked right down the Dwerwent from the top of Matlock.

Standing outside Hudson's Record in Matlock waiting for it to open so I could buy the latest Jam album.

Flying to America not knowing where we were going other than to hire a car and take in an LA Rams game.

Nelson's pork pie from Bakewell.

My mum and dad.

The smell of the BBG at night games.

The smell of BBG one opening games of the season when it had grass that was newly mown.

6 hours ago, angieram said:

Tell me about it! Averaged 15,000 steps a day whilst in Devon, whereas it's usually 7,000.

It was okay while I was doing it, now I've stopped I can barely move.

I miss dancing at the bus-stop, at the disco, in fact anywhere. 

The problem is, Angie, that you don't know whether to go to the doctor or just accept that it's normal for your age. How are you supposed to tell?

5 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

All-nighters at Hot to Trot when it was at Venue 44 in Mansfield.

Spending hours browsing through vinyl is any record shop.

David Coleman saying....one nil.

The punk music scene just before it went mainstream.

Question of Sport when it was good and Charlie's goal against Real Madrid was on the intro.

Rushing home from doing O Level law at college in time to see The Sweeney

Posting stuff on Twitter without pausing and thinking 'Can I say that?'

Listening to the FA Cup draw.

Going back into my record shop after the pubs closed to play about on the decks mixing.

Leaving to go to a Derby away game at 8 am when we could get there in 3 hours and then not getting home until after midnight.

The Derby Evening Telegraph before the internet and when Gerald Mortimer was writing.

My VW Corado.

Eating midget gems without wondering which filling will fall out.

Dipping my headlights manually.

Car parking spaces that are bigger than the car you're trying to put into it.

The moment you first walk into a club and the bassline hits you and almost knocks you over.

Seeing the TV cameras at the BBG and looking forward to Hew Johns commentary.

Not worrying about speed cameras everywhere.

Hearing beep beep beep and trying to push a 2p coin in when you call a girl you fancy from a phone box and you hear her answer.

New Year's Eve when it was the best night of the year.

The first flat I ever owned that looked right down the Dwerwent from the top of Matlock.

Standing outside Hudson's Record in Matlock waiting for it to open so I could buy the latest Jam album.

Flying to America not knowing where we were going other than to hire a car and take in an LA Rams game.

Nelson's pork pie from Bakewell.

My mum and dad.

The smell of the BBG at night games.

The smell of BBG one opening games of the season when it had grass that was newly mown.

So nostalgic, Bob. I'd like to have given you 2 likes! 😊