Bristol Rovers (A) Sat 15th April

35 minutes ago, DCFC1976 said:

Can’t say it wasn’t expected, seemed to be hanging on as if we had 10 men, not sure why Warne insists on 3-5-2 currently it’s clear we don’t have the players, NML at wing back has never worked and he hasn’t played well for weeks not even sure why he’s still picked, should be on the bench.

Thought Warne was going to go for games, didn’t do that today with 5 at the back in the second half.

The formation doesn't suit our squad you cant blame nml it doesnt suit him, maybe you should blame the management i understand thats what he wants to play but it really doesnt suit our squad! The football isnt even good! We look so poor 

26 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Disappointing not to see the game out for a fortunate win by all accounts 

four games to go and we seem to need to win 3 of them to be in contention if we are realistic Peterborough vs Ipswich is looking interesting but we need to get those second goals and yes the odd referee who isn’t keen to to award big decisions against us every other week

What's with the "other"? 

1 hour ago, SSD said:

Seems to me Warne is definitely a one nil and sit back away from home manager. Not for me. Got to try and be more positive. Personal preference, sitting back rarely works unless the defence is rock solid.

That's patently not true though, my complaint has been (and it has been evident)  that he doesn't sit back and/or do anything, tactically,  to defend the a lead but rather continues trading blows.

If he's changed things today to try to ensure some defensive solidarity that's a positive sign 

...as long as it was a tactical change and not just throwing some more defensively minded players on willy nilly to kick / block / clear on an individual basis, but even that would. be more than he's tried previously so I can't really complain.

Edited by Kokosnuss

We were poor today and have been for a few weeks. Not going to be one of those saying ‘we nearly didn’t have a club, put it in perspective’ but things aren’t as glum as some are making out. A point gained on Peterborough today and still in with a shout at play offs. 

Warne couldn’t do a thing wrong only a few weeks ago. We’ve got a tiny aging squad so things will inevitably slip at this point in the season. Hopefully we can regroup and sneak into playoffs with some momentum. If we don’t or we do and lose in them, we’ll have a whole summer to strengthen and give it a proper go next year. COYR

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

As bad as that performance was, we're now 1 point closer to top 6 and 1 point further away from 8th than we were at the start of the day.

That is how I am trying to look at it and hoping we can put together a better performance at Exeter.  

Well at last that match is over. It makes me want to go and break a few windows, or thump an old person in the face so at least the punishment of watching Derby play is somewhat justified. 

So we started by playing the ball on the grass, where Cloughie says it should be played, and we scored., But then what? Bristol upped their tempo after about 20 minutes and it was all over. And what we did was start to hoof the ball long - to the opposition. And then even passing the ball out of defence seemed difficult for us, and often went to the wrong player. On rare occasions we cocked up and played the ball on the floor and actually threatened, but only on very rare occasions.

Actually the ref was pretty ok 1st half, but the EFL must have had their man at Bristol, who popped into the refs changing room at half time because suddenly he was gifting cards out like it was a mass birthday party for Derby players. It actually wasn't a dirty game, with Derby looking the dirtiest because of clumsy challenges, and there was a remarkable lack of malice, which is surprising given who their manager is!

The penalty was give-able because there  player was impeded in the penalty area, but as many have said, is the type of penalty given against us, but never for us. It was certainly softer than the belt in the back given to Jason Knight on Monday! And would have been as soft as the one that could have been given when McGoldrick was pulled down a little earlier, and probably would have been given if he was playing for Bristol. Or any other club who isn't Derby County.

BUT: it wasn't the ref today, because Bristol deserved far more than they got, and we deserved diddly squat because of our dreadful performance, and sitting back once we had gone a goal up. Given that we need to improve our goal difference, sitting back was unforgiveable.

And surely the players themselves have got to have a good sit down and ask themselves what the heck they ere doing this afternoon. Even at League one levels, not being able to pass the ball to your own team-mates for nearly 90 minutes simply isn't good enough.

I shall miss the next home match, against Burton, because I will be at my son's wedding, so at least I will be having good time. I will keep you all in my thoughts, though!

Played s*** really.  These players should be controlling at least some of the game.  At points they looked like 1970 Brazil and that shouldn't be happening.  We have a squad with probably 3000 championship or higher games between them.  Fatigue is one thing but they should be able to retain possession far better which negates the fatigue.  That compounded with truly abysmal referees that have cost us a good 8 points with penalty's that aren't even close and disallowed goals for sod all in the last ten games or so.  

Disappointing today, we tried to hang on to a honking win, and thanks to a dubious penalty ended up with what we deserved, a honking draw.

I expect the last rites on promotion this year to be administered by Burton Albion, when we can settle down and start planning next season with a squad Warne has built, rather than inherited.