Barnsley (A), Saturday 25th February 3pm.

Rev

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

I've found out this afternoon that my cousins son and her husband were attacked by fellow Derby fans at HT yesterday and had to witness her son walking through the concourse with his face covered in blood. 

Most on here would have seen pictures of her son before,  he's the lad with the Yardie Rams flag who goes to most away games with his step dad.

Neither of these are violent people, so it would be nice to find out who did this and why?

That’s terrible I’ve seen that Yardie Lad on twitter and look out for his flag at games.

2 hours ago, ossieram said:

I've found out this afternoon that my cousins son and her husband were attacked by fellow Derby fans at HT yesterday and had to witness her son walking through the concourse with his face covered in blood. 

Most on here would have seen pictures of her son before,  he's the lad with the Yardie Rams flag who goes to most away games with his step dad.

Neither of these are violent people, so it would be nice to find out who did this and why?

I'm proud of the fact that we're taking big, or as big as the other stadiums will allow, followings this season but we do also seem to have dragged in some morons from the gutter that we don't need. It makes you wonder how they're managing to get tickets unless they spent last season as well touring the country embarrassing themselves and the club 

Some of our fans were an absolute disgrace at this game. The man in the row in front of me was screaming homophobic and misogynistic comments the entire game, didn't see him watch the football once. He was only focused on hurling foul mouth abuse, he particularly targeted a female steward at the front. I felt thoroughly embarrassed to be a supporter of the same team. 

Now to the actual football. We struggled very badly with Barnsley's high press. I thought they played pretty well actually and really put us under a lot of pressure. We need to move the ball quicker at the back, we invite it on to us too much at times. Lincoln had a lot of success with this style at Pride Park too (despite being a worse side than Barnsley).

I don't think we were too bad, it was one of those days. Chances we would normally put away were wasted and that was the difference. I don't think it's too much of a disaster. Barnsley were good on the day and were clinical in front of net whilst we were not. We move on. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I'm proud of the fact that we're taking big, or as big as the other stadiums will allow, followings this season but we do also seem to have dragged in some morons from the gutter that we don't need. It makes you wonder how they're managing to get tickets unless they spent last season as well touring the country embarrassing themselves and the club 

at the train station me and my mate were stuck not too far away from some lads shouting all kinds of stuff and trying to start on the Barnsley fans walking past. It's just pathetic, absolutely embarrasses the club and helps intimidate younger and older fans around them. Some of them look familiar and have seen them over the years, others do look new but I'm not an away regular really so could be wrong. Absolutely shocking to hear of the assault, i hope the animals that did it are banned from any derby county games for the foreseeable future. 

Also sad to hear about the issues surrounding the police. I found the police to be courteous and nice to deal with even if they kept us waiting for close to an hour at the station. 

Not been on here for 2 days. Suffering from PLD (post loss depression) it just sounded so grim on Radio Derby. Out pressed and missed chances all against a promotion competitor playing at at home. I thought we might have been good enough to get a point at what was always going to be a tough game but the wheels came off. Clouds are lifting because we get a chance to go again tomorrow. Writing Saturday off as just one of those days. Can’t do much more than that.

Come on lads pick yourselves up - we can do this

10 hours ago, Andicis said:

Some of our fans were an absolute disgrace at this game. The man in the row in front of me was screaming homophobic and misogynistic comments the entire game, didn't see him watch the football once. He was only focused on hurling foul mouth abuse, he particularly targeted a female steward at the front. I felt thoroughly embarrassed to be a supporter of the same team. 

There needs to be a confidential hotline that people can report others to. I can understand why nobody would ever want to report on someone but at the same time, unless we place plain clothed police/DCFC Stewards and start identifying these idiots and banning them, it'll never stop.

1 hour ago, jono said:

Not been on here for 2 days. Suffering from PLD (post loss depression) it just sounded so grim on Radio Derby. Out pressed and missed chances all against a promotion competitor playing at at home. I thought we might have been good enough to get a point at what was always going to be a tough game but the wheels came off. Clouds are lifting because we get a chance to go again tomorrow. Writing Saturday off as just one of those days. Can’t do much more than that.

Come on lads pick yourselves up - we can do this

Jono, if it’s any consolation, I (and I think many others who were there) don’t think there was anything like the gulf between the teams the score line suggests. Out fought? Yes. Out played? Yes but there wasn’t a great deal in it especially given they were at home. We were largely undone by calamitous errors at the back that hopefully won’t happen again (or not too often) between now and the end of the season.

As you say, we dust ourselves down and go again tomorrow for what, IMO, is likely to be a very different type of game.

Arguably one of the most unsettled performances I remember from a Derby team, one of the worst performances we've had for a long time. Nothing looked comfortable, everything looked stretched. Back four looked like they were playing hungover. 

Important not to get bogged down on one performance, but alarming all the same. Anything other than a win tomorrow will compound the issue. 

13 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

at the train station me and my mate were stuck not too far away from some lads shouting all kinds of stuff and trying to start on the Barnsley fans walking past. It's just pathetic, absolutely embarrasses the club and helps intimidate younger and older fans around them. Some of them look familiar and have seen them over the years, others do look new but I'm not an away regular really so could be wrong. Absolutely shocking to hear of the assault, i hope the animals that did it are banned from any derby county games for the foreseeable future. 

Also sad to hear about the issues surrounding the police. I found the police to be courteous and nice to deal with even if they kept us waiting for close to an hour at the station. 

This reminds me of the moronic behaviour from so called supporters (on both sides) the last time we were at this level.

I for one have sadly become an armchair fan .  Can't be bothered to spend money going to games and not be able to enjoy the experience. it only takes one or two to ruin a good day out.

Football at this level is not a very good customer preposition, when you als take in to account the crap facilities at quite of few of the teams in this division.

17 hours ago, ossieram said:

said it before mate , some of our away supports behaviour is disgusting , hope the animals that have done this are brought to justice

1 hour ago, StrawHillRam said:

This reminds me of the moronic behaviour from so called supporters (on both sides) the last time we were at this level.

I for one have sadly become an armchair fan .  Can't be bothered to spend money going to games and not be able to enjoy the experience. it only takes one or two to ruin a good day out.

Football at this level is not a very good customer preposition, when you als take in to account the crap facilities at quite of few of the teams in this division.

I guess, if it's feasible, you could just attend home games. Obviously the facilities are decent and any sort of incident is extremely rare in my experience in the East Stand.

21 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's the time it takes. Both rugby and cricket are more amenable to breaks in play. Football only really stops for injuries, anything else is seen as timewasting.

We could adapt by admitting VAR doesn't add enough to be worth the hassle and the negative influence on the game, but they won't.

I've said it before and I'll probably say it again.. there's no problem with VAR. The is, however, a huge issue with how it's been implemented. According to FIFA, it's allowed in 4 areas of the game, namely, goals and the violations that precede them, red cards, penalties, and mistaken identity when awarding a card. It's designed to correct CLEAR AND OBVIOUS errors. Taking 4 minutes to come to the conclusion that the striker's little toe is 3 mm offside isn't a clear and obvious mistake. IMO, if it takes more than 30 seconds, then any error on the part of the officials is neither clear nor obvious and the original decision should stand. Do that and, again IMO, the issues people see with VAR would be greatly reduced. 

16 hours ago, MadAmster said:

I've said it before and I'll probably say it again.. there's no problem with VAR. The is, however, a huge issue with how it's been implemented. According to FIFA, it's allowed in 4 areas of the game, namely, goals and the violations that precede them, red cards, penalties, and mistaken identity when awarding a card. It's designed to correct CLEAR AND OBVIOUS errors. Taking 4 minutes to come to the conclusion that the striker's little toe is 3 mm offside isn't a clear and obvious mistake. IMO, if it takes more than 30 seconds, then any error on the part of the officials is neither clear nor obvious and the original decision should stand. Do that and, again IMO, the issues people see with VAR would be greatly reduced. 

VAR and the way it's being used is one and the same, the "well actually" differentiation isn't particularly helpful when discussing it. VAR and the officials using it are part of one bigger system, by saying there's no problem with VAR, all you're saying is there's no problem with video replay.

Offside is being used the same way goal line technology is, where it's a factual thing whether it is on or offside. You're arguing for them not to do that, which is fine, but you'd only find fans complaining after goals are given that it was offside in actuality.

To me, the implementation of the whole system being designed to re-referee a game rendering referees pretty pointless in the majority of cases is a problem. The biggest issue is the fact every time a goal is scored it looks at literally everything leading up to it by default to see if it can be disallowed for any reason whatsoever. That's taking not only a ridiculous amount of time, but it's taking spontaneity out the game and the joy of celebration. It's certainly not what I would consider to be in the spirit of the game.

The only solution in my mind would be to go down an appeal route - just like cricket, tennis, NFL and others. You get 1 a half, captain/manager can use it, get it wrong and you lose it. That way, you can't waste it when you don't think there's a legitimate reason for a goal/penalty/red card to be checked. Stops all these goals being disallowed when literally nobody thought there was an issue til 5 mins of VAR deliberation decides there is. Instantly bring back the joy of goal celebrations and improves the flow of games immensely.

My final point on VAR would be that errors are much easier to accept when it was always a referee or assistant referee making a mistake in the moment. Is it infuriating when it goes against you? Absolutely, but it's human error watching something live once. Now, you have a team officials slowing down replays from every conceivable angle and still making controversial decisions. To me, that is 10x worse.

Edited by Srg

13 minutes ago, Srg said:

VAR and the way it's being used is one and the same, the "well actually" differentiation isn't particularly helpful when discussing it. VAR and the officials using it are part of one bigger system, by saying there's no problem with VAR, all you're saying is there's no problem with video replay.

I was looking at the difference between the design, what the FIFA instructions state, namely, to correct "clear and obvious" mistakes and the increasingly longer time taken to come to a decision. When implemented in Germany and the Netherlands, there was no line drawing using hugely expensive software. The VAR simply froze the video and looked to see, for instance, if there was a clear offside. If it wasn't clear or obvious, the goal stood. the the FA and EPL with all their millions decided we can go the whole hog so we will. We now get decisions where half the nail of the little toe is enough to cancel out a goal. Ridiculous IMO. Neither clear nor obvious and it takes an inordinate amount of time. It shouldn't. 30 seconds max, maybe less. If you can't find a fault in that time, there wasn't one.

It wasn't rocket science until the FA/EPL decided to "upgrade" the systems used and totally forgot the "clear and obvious" element to it.

Puzzling thing about the first Barnsley goal is that Cole doesn't appear to be clearly offside at any point, yet the linesman clearly intervened. If he did so because he thought Cole WAS offside, then why did the referee overrule him? 

Looking closely at the replay, the other Barnsley player in the area takes a swing at the ball and plays it onto Sibley's leg. Sibley doesn't "deliberately" play it, it hits him from less than a yard away (he, literally, can't avoid it) and the ball rolls towards the goal. Under Law 11 and IFAB's clarification of the Law, that doesn't constitute "deliberately playing the ball". So if Sibley's intervention was the reason that the referee overruled the lino, I think he got it wrong (even if the lino was wrong about the offside!) 

Whether VAR would have made the correct interpretation of that situation is moot, because if it had been in use, it may have overruled the lino's flag in the first place!