Barnsley (A), Saturday 25th February 3pm.

Rev

54 minutes ago, Srg said:

The only solution in my mind would be to go down an appeal route - just like cricket, tennis, NFL and others. You get 1 a half, captain/manager can use it, get it wrong and you lose it.

In the NFL, all scoring plays are reviewed by default. The challenge flag that coaches use is outside of that.

If we adopted the same system, we'd end up where everything stays pretty much as it is today (offsides being checked, build up play, etc) but managers being able to challenge things like "you've given them a throwin but it should be ours".

Can't compare football to Cricket, NFL, tennis because those games all have actual stopages between plays. Football doesn't really, unless you want 30 second play clocks introduced everytime the ball goes out of play.

54 minutes ago, Sweetness34 said:

In the NFL, all scoring plays are reviewed by default. The challenge flag that coaches use is outside of that.

If we adopted the same system, we'd end up where everything stays pretty much as it is today (offsides being checked, build up play, etc) but managers being able to challenge things like "you've given them a throwin but it should be ours".

Can't compare football to Cricket, NFL, tennis because those games all have actual stopages between plays. Football doesn't really, unless you want 30 second play clocks introduced everytime the ball goes out of play.

Well, as I said, you'd want only the 3 big things as challengeable - goals, red cards and penalties. It isn't a perfect solution, but it's 100% better than the s**** in place now, and as it's not going away entirely, it's the only way I can see it improving.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Puzzling thing about the first Barnsley goal is that Cole doesn't appear to be clearly offside at any point, yet the linesman clearly intervened. If he did so because he thought Cole WAS offside, then why did the referee overrule him? 

Looking closely at the replay, the other Barnsley player in the area takes a swing at the ball and plays it onto Sibley's leg. Sibley doesn't "deliberately" play it, it hits him from less than a yard away (he, literally, can't avoid it) and the ball rolls towards the goal. Under Law 11 and IFAB's clarification of the Law, that doesn't constitute "deliberately playing the ball". So if Sibley's intervention was the reason that the referee overruled the lino, I think he got it wrong (even if the lino was wrong about the offside!) 

Whether VAR would have made the correct interpretation of that situation is moot, because if it had been in use, it may have overruled the lino's flag in the first place! 

My view of it was it just came off Sibley, but there was no clear view.

44 minutes ago, Srg said:

Well, as I said, you'd want only the 3 big things as challengeable - goals, red cards and penalties. It isn't a perfect solution, but it's 100% better than the s**** in place now, and as it's not going away entirely, it's the only way I can see it improving.

What about offsides, though? There have been some shocking ones let go this season.

I'm not talking about the big toe or little ginger scenarios, but those where there's clear daylight! 

2 hours ago, derbydaz22 said:

Daylight ? Some have been yards off the standard of all the officials is shocking.

True, but recent losses have been due to poor performances. Hopefully over the season we get a few of those lousy decisions in our favour. 

15 hours ago, sage said:

We had decisions in our favour v Morecambe and Lincoln

Lincoln is a poor example though, because their goal was yards offside and McGoldrick's disallowed effort looked onside. Cheltenham's second at their place was also well offside. 

On 26/02/2023 at 20:12, ossieram said:

I've found out this afternoon that my cousins son and her husband were attacked by fellow Derby fans at HT yesterday and had to witness her son walking through the concourse with his face covered in blood. 

Most on here would have seen pictures of her son before,  he's the lad with the Yardie Rams flag who goes to most away games with his step dad.

Neither of these are violent people, so it would be nice to find out who did this and why?

Just thought I'd let you know that the 2 bamfords that were involved in the attack were both arrested and plod have got very good cctv footage of the attack. 

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

Just thought I'd let you know that the 2 bamfords that were involved in the attack were both arrested and plod have got very good cctv footage of the attack. 

I have to say, as a non-regular away fan these days (no away membership so can only get when large allocations), i was surprised at the amount of hostile young supporters we have these days.  Very drunk and many seemed to be under the influence of other substances as well.  Makes it slightly uncomfortable when taking my 12 year old away from home unfortunately.  I'm all for fans having a few beers before the match, i have always enjoyed the away days but it all feels a bit uneasy nowadays.

5 minutes ago, NottsRam said:

I have to say, as a non-regular away fan these days (no away membership so can only get when large allocations), i was surprised at the amount of hostile young supporters we have these days.  Very drunk and many seemed to be under the influence of other substances as well.  Makes it slightly uncomfortable when taking my 12 year old away from home unfortunately.  I'm all for fans having a few beers before the match, i have always enjoyed the away days but it all feels a bit uneasy nowadays.

Barnsley was the worst I've seen for a long while. Similar vibe to Rotherham and Huddersfield away about 5 years ago. 

17 minutes ago, sage said:

Barnsley was the worst I've seen for a long while. Similar vibe to Rotherham and Huddersfield away about 5 years ago. 

Three Derby fans in Barnsley asked me if I knew any decent pubs, said they’d been drinking in Sheffield since 7.30 in the morning ??‍♂️

2 hours ago, NottsRam said:

The bloke that threw the first punch is mid to late fifties and his son did the headbutt that caused the cut.

5 hours ago, ossieram said:

i was at the game Saturday mate , glad to hear this update , what was this attack over?