Barnsley (A), Saturday 25th February 3pm.

Rev

22 minutes ago, angieram said:

The players were set up to go for it, not to learn the lesson from Wycombe. If you play a lightweight team against thugs, this will be the result again and again.

Trouble is, we haven't got the muscle (or nous) to counteract that.

Well, you could always change tactics in anticipation of it. If It’s a game we expected to get roughed up, stick Curtis in the middle of a back 3, have wing backs and bring Collins in for his physical presence too. Regardless of form, Collins is muscle, Curtis battle hardened, those that blow up, that’s when you bring your subs on.

Yes you’re right, doing the same thing, getting the same result. I’d say we do have options though, I hope Warne learns as much as the players, if we have to play cloggers again; particularly in any play offs. 

Fwiw I think away at Plymouth, won’t see the same tactics from the opposition.

2 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Well, you could always change tactics in anticipation of it. If It’s a game we expected to get roughed up, stick Curtis in the middle of a back 3, have wing backs and bring Collins in for his physical presence too. Regardless of form, Collins is muscle, Curtis battle hardened, those that blow up, that’s when you bring your subs on.

Yes you’re right, doing the same thing, getting the same result. I’d say we do have options though, I hope Warne learns as much as the players, if we have to play cloggers again; particularly in any play offs. 

That's what I'd do, too. But I'm not Warne.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I’m not sure.

When they scored Cashin was in our penalty area. If we were waiting to kick off, would he have moved that far forward and would pretty much the rest of our team still be in their half?

I can only think it was taken immediately after we’d kicked off at 4:1 down in the 94th minute. I would be great if we all stayed until the bitter end to show our support, despite the performance and inevitably result, but I’m not sure you can criticise a mass exodus whilst they were celebrating their 4th goal too much.

The 4th goal was at the opposite end to our fans, so a picture of our fans is their goal and you can't see our goal, all their players were celebrating in front of their South stand at opposite end, our half, which is why you can't see hardly any players

11 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

I don’t think Barnsley were cloggers.  

They just got the better of us on the day. .

Team selection is easy after the event .

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

Sure we’re all wannabe F.M gurus on here after the event. @angieram made a valid point about set up, I feel similar, they DID boss us at times, particularly midfield, we looked lightweight. That’s more the point, similar tactics to Wycombe were evident to me, both how we set up and how they set about us.

Warne could choose other options next time around, it’s happened last 2 games, he’s got a lot right since coming in, this is no crisis, we’re more than capable of achieving play offs and I expect us to get there. If we end up playing Barnsley, Bird would be a big difference but I’d still think about playing a different formation, using the muscle we do have in our squad or they may just get the better of us again!

8 minutes ago, Curtains said:

You're right about that, Curtains.

Even though the score was not pretty, we still had our chances. We didn't take most of them, they took theirs.

We needed to be a bit more streetwise at times in the game because if we could calm it down they always looked vulnerable in defence.

In the second half I was screaming at players to run into the box because those big defenders looked like a penalty waiting to happen. But we kept going predictably wide. Sibley had one glorious run where the defence seemed to part in front of him but instead of taking it on, he checked and tried to pass it out to the winger - badly as I recall. Mendez-Laing had similar opportunities on the right, just get in the box, for goodness sake! 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Even though the score was not pretty, we still had our chances. We didn't take most of them, they took theirs.

We needed to be a bit more streetwise at times in the game because if we could calm it down they always looked vulnerable in defence.

In the second half I was screaming at players to run into the box because those big defenders looked like a penalty waiting to happen. But we kept going predictably wide. Sibley had one glorious run where the defence seemed to part in front of him but instead of taking it on, he checked and tried to pass it out to the winger - badly as I recall. Mendez-Laing had similar opportunities on the right, just get in the box, for goodness sake! 

That header from Barks was so unlucky.

Football is like sometimes it’s just not your day. 

I’m sure Paul Warne will have the answers 

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

When Mendez-Laing was pulled over to the advertising hoardings, he just stopped himself from falling over them.

A streetwise player would have gone over them and held his head. Their player would have been sent off.

It's not nice but it's 100% what other teams would do to us.

34 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

The 4th goal was at the opposite end to our fans, so a picture of our fans is their goal and you can't see our goal, all their players were celebrating in front of their South stand at opposite end, our half, which is why you can't see hardly any players

Good point. Sorry. I must still be hung over from yesterday

4 hours ago, BriggRam said:

Its what the Yorkshire miners called other miners who worked while they were on strike in the 80's.........Notts miners were the first to fold so why Derby get labelled i dont know, maybe someone knows more than me

Needs it's own thread far away from anything to do with football

Hello.

I read on the Barnsley forum, that there's a thread on a Derby site (I'm assuming it must mean here, but I can't see it), about the behaviour of the police, last night.

I was on a train to Sheffield after the game, and saw (mainly Derby) fans be treated/spoken to, in what I thought was an appalling way.

The Derby fans I was around, were loud, and some had cans of whatever, but they weren't doing anything wrong. Not aggressive, not swearing, nothing that would merit the police pushing them, until one was shoved into me, and fell over.

I managed to film some bits, and I know that British Transport Police Officer Smith, who normally works out of Leeds, and has been with the police since 1981, according to him, was the main source of the Derby fans' anger.

If the bits I filmed might be of any use, let me know if someone wants them. I don't know if there's anything that can be done, really, but I was shocked at what I saw.

Thanks,

A Barnsley fan.

Edited by barnsley

48 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Sure we’re all wannabe F.M gurus on here after the event. @angieram made a valid point about set up, I feel similar, they DID boss us at times, particularly midfield, we looked lightweight. That’s more the point, similar tactics to Wycombe were evident to me, both how we set up and how they set about us.

Warne could choose other options next time around, it’s happened last 2 games, he’s got a lot right since coming in, this is no crisis, we’re more than capable of achieving play offs and I expect us to get there. If we end up playing Barnsley, Bird would be a big difference but I’d still think about playing a different formation, using the muscle we do have in our squad or they may just get the better of us again!

All good points.  
Hope Chester can get back and I wouldn’t rule out Curtis either for the rest of the season  as we need all the squad 

Regarding tactics it’s all a bit subjective and I think Warne has got more right than wrong. 

We have a small squad so it will be an interesting team selection for Tuesday.  

Springett may get a start a as he looks lively.

Edited by Curtains
Added

4 hours ago, BriggRam said:

Its what the Yorkshire miners called other miners who worked while they were on strike in the 80's.........Notts miners were the first to fold so why Derby get labelled i dont know, maybe someone knows more than me

Or more accurately the Notts miners never folded. They worked from start to finish.

45 minutes ago, angieram said:

Exactly this. You could see the gaps from our end that the likes of Sibley could run into. The predictable passing (sometimes very poor over 8/10 yards) for the wider person to lob in was infuriating. Why take on people 10 yards either side of the half way line but not in the final third to drive into the box? 

1 minute ago, Grumpy Git said:

Correct, proper scabs.

Proper heroes actually to most of the country at the time. Brave men who refused to be bullied or intimidated into striking when there hadn't been an official national ballot. But as Steadybreeze wrote earlier this subject doesn't belong on a football forum. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

The players were set up to go for it, not to learn the lesson from Wycombe. If you play a lightweight team against thugs, this will be the result again and again.

Trouble is, we haven't got the muscle (or nous) to counteract that.

Fully agree Angieram.

It seems like a tale as old as time for us. We lack physicality in midfield, we have some of the best technical midfielders in league, but the blend isn’t quite there for this division.

Knight offers us some physicality further up the pitch, but we’re just lacking that midfielder with presence strength and combativeness who can shield the back four and allow us to get a foothold in the game in deeper areas when we are on the back foot like yesterday.

Last time we had that type of player was Bradley Johnson, he wasn’t exactly a perfect fit for the role, but the best we could do at the time.

9 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

Proper heroes actually to most of the country at the time. Brave men who refused to be bullied or intimidated into striking when there hadn't been an official national ballot. But as Steadybreeze wrote earlier this subject doesn't belong on a football forum. 

(My bolding).

We had a national ballot about summat in June 2016 and look what good that's done us! ?

Edited by Grumpy Git

9 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

Piss off then