Cheltenham Town (A) Sat 14th Jan

Another day, another ref Forsyth gets a red. We take decisions that go for us for granted but moan a lot about stuff that doesn’t go our way. Nature of being a biased football fan.

Ref was OK first half, messed up with the May free kick when he could have asserted authority on where he put the spray down and the additional yardage the throwers were getting was ridiculous… but then we should be more streetwise and have done the same especially as Sibs can’t throw it more than about ten yards.

Second half he started to lose control a little more but thankfully IMO he go no big decisions wrong and he didn’t make a call/no call which cost either team the game. We have certainly had a lot worse this year than that.

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

In the glorious Brian Clough era I would go home after watching a match without singling anybody out for playing badly - we just didn't do it. The worse was criticising John McGovern for the un-human way he ran about the pitch, and Alan Hinton for the aggressive, physical way he would challenge for the bal ..................... oh wait. He was called "Gladys" for a reason.

I have fast got to the same position with this squad - they are all heroes, with each one contributing to the best of their ability. I was even glad that Colin Hourihane was in the team today, even though for a number of games he had largely been a waste of space. And it was actually a great header for the first goal!

We were so on top for much of the game, and should have scored 6 or 7, given the great opportunities we kept carving out for ourselves, but the substitutions changed everything. I know Collins seems to have trouble focussing on a barn door let alone a set of goalposts at the moment, but we certainly missed all the other un-noticed hard work he does for the team. And shifting Jason Knight perhaps wasn't the tactic of the year, either. But we won, yet again, and until that last "where's my butt plug" 15 minutes, Wildsmith was probably quite bored.

But we still won, and looking at the League table is actually quite enjoyable - getting closer to the top three and with games in hand. The future is looking good. COME ON YOU RAMS!!!

Not sure you're using that in the right context...

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

He's on the meths now. When that's gone, it'll have to be the Cinzano Bianco.

The first time I ever got really rat arsed was on Cinzano (why Cinzano ! ? ) celebrating after O levels. The school bully was taking the mick at my incoherent self and I puked on him. One of the sweeter moments of my youth. 

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I was suprised the village idiot was allowed out without his carer. For some bizarre reason someone near the middle of the side section tried a couple of times to start the Billy Sharp song. 

I was near them, a group of steaming drunk youths thought the number ten striker (May) was Billy Sharp. "He's fat, wears big shorts and is number 10 so must be Billy Sharp". 

2 hours ago, California Ram. said:

Rare away trip for me and thoroughly enjoyable - Derby ends noisy and entertaining with a good rapport with the players that came from being so close. 

couple of thoughts - impressed with Corey Smith, always finding space going forward and interesting argument between him and Hourihane that showed the intensity.

Barkhuizen was tremendous, made so many good runs that his teammates didn’t find as he repeatedly came between centre back and full back. 

However, messy and nervy at the end once Cash went off, what happened to Wildsmith to upset the radar on his kicks ?

Bolton is a huge one next week. Big win for them again today, but feels like we have a strong squad that really adds options from the bench. 2 points closer to Ipswich and Plymouth, and some serious injuries for Wednesday. It felt like ‘mission impossible’ to get in the automatics, now it’s improved to ‘tough ask’ 

We can get aut place even Wednesday said only team catch Plymouth is derby.

2 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Penalties can be missed and the game goes on. A red card is more tricky to deal with unless you're really good at making tactical subs and effective game management.

Interesting question - would you rather a pen then a red card ... or nothing.  Depends on the state of the game obviously but often you’d settle for the former.

I think a red can make a manager’s job easier - you have fewer options. 

Pinched from the Cheltenham forum.

A word for the Derby fans, both in the away end and home end. I thought they were fantastic today, they sang the whole game - even for the 5 mins they were a goal behind - and the ones I spoke to in the pubs afterwards were very gracious in victory. They were the ones telling us that if we continue to play like that we'll be completely fine this season. What I will say though is that we need to play like that against the teams around us and not just against the big teams with huge followings.

……………….well done to all who travelled. ?

8 hours ago, rammieib said:

Another day, another ref Forsyth gets a red. We take decisions that go for us for granted but moan a lot about stuff that doesn’t go our way. Nature of being a biased football fan.

Counter point- are we all so used to higher league refs being strict and playing to the letter of the law rather than the reading the game? 

We all expected the standard of refs to go down when we got relegated, it just happens to have worked in our favour. 

IMO refs at this level seem to give the defending team the benefit of the doubt on 50/50 decisions whereas at higher levels it seems to be in favour of the attacking team.

2 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Counter point- are we all so used to higher league refs being strict and playing to the letter of the law rather than the reading the game? 

We all expected the standard of refs to go down when we got relegated, it just happens to have worked in our favour. 

IMO refs at this level seem to give the defending team the benefit of the doubt on 50/50 decisions whereas at higher levels it seems to be in favour of the attacking team.

Few players in this league can find fouls as well as Knight and Collins so we tend to suffer if a ref allows the game to flow to that extent. 

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Interesting question - would you rather a pen then a red card ... or nothing.  Depends on the state of the game obviously but often you’d settle for the former.

I think a red can make a manager’s job easier - you have fewer options. 

Nothing, obviously. ?

The answer is already in the question, depends on the scenario. If it's the 6th minute of 7 added on, you're trying to hold onto a narrow lead but an opposition player gets in behind your defence then obviously you'd rather someone hack them down outside the box and get a red than allow them into your penalty area.

The reverse of that is what we saw away at Huddersfield last season where Stearman got himself sent off early on - it would have been better to have been a goal down that a man down, one is a recoverable situation, the other isn't.

A red can give a manager an excuse but it's not really much of an endorsement of their skills if giving them fewer options is seen as a good thing.

4 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Pinched from the Cheltenham forum.

A word for the Derby fans, both in the away end and home end. I thought they were fantastic today, they sang the whole game - even for the 5 mins they were a goal behind - and the ones I spoke to in the pubs afterwards were very gracious in victory. They were the ones telling us that if we continue to play like that we'll be completely fine this season. What I will say though is that we need to play like that against the teams around us and not just against the big teams with huge followings.

……………….well done to all who travelled. ?

I have to say that yesterday was the best away experience of the season so far for me. We went a little quiet when Cheltenham were getting on top after their second goal (everyone biting their lip with the tension perhaps) but rallied again in the last 10 minutes in an effort to inspire the team to fight it out, which they did. I only counted one half-hearted chant of "Cheltenham's a sh**hole" too, so well done everyone ?

56 minutes ago, angieram said:

Of course, we couldn't see that from where we were but you'd expect the linesman not to miss that from a set piece situation. 

I thought the officials were dreadful yesterday. Incompetent, not biased, but not up to standard at all. There's allot of decisions I'd like to look at again. Fortunately, we still won.