Newport County (A) FACR2 Sun 27th Nov

21 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Hourihane passed to him! 

For about the only time in the game. The only thing in Hourihane's favour was he wasn't as awful as Smith. How did Smith not get sent off?!  And again previously he dashed forward missed a tackle and left them to break.

Round pegs, round holes please Warney...

25 minutes ago, ram59 said:

For those criticising PW playing Knight and Sibley at FB, what choice does he have? Injuries and LR not signing a RB are to blame.

Has Sibley got a twin, who he come on for at HT?

I thought that Thommo and Rooney were unlucky to be taken off at HT, good job I'm not the manager.

I thought that the ref was sympathetic to Derby, giving us a number of soft free kicks, nothing crucial though.

He could play Fozzie at FB, I understand he's played there before?

Cashin and Rooney would have been fine at CB.

I'd rather Knight than Smith, but still I'd play Odurah.

I also thought Tommo and Rooney were unlucky and there were others I'd have taken off instaed.

Edited by RoyMac5

Not sure I'd have played Cashin and Rooney under THAT aerial bombardment, so I can understand why he played Fozzy in the middle of them. All 3 of them looked uncomfortable today though. Bird and Hourihane together in a game like that was harder to understand. I agree that both Smith and Sibley struggled defensively today.

Ultimately, however, Warne rang the changes, the 2nd half was a big improvement, the team showed some cajones, and we're in the drawstring bag for the 3rd round.

JOB DONE ?

1 minute ago, Crewton said:

Not sure I'd have played Cashin and Rooney under THAT aerial bombardment, so I can understand why he played Fozzy in the middle of them. All 3 of them looked uncomfortable today though. Bird and Hourihane together in a game like that was harder to understand. I agree that both Smith and Sibley struggled defensively today.

Ultimately, however, Warne rang the changes, the 2nd half was a big improvement, the team showed some cajones, and we're in the drawstring bag for the 3rd round.

JOB DONE ?

No perhaps not. I'd forgotten Steargoat. Thought Rooney looked okay at FB, so Rooney, Stears, Cashin and Fozzy - only one player slightly out of place.

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He could play Fozzie at FB, I understand he's played there before?

Cashin and Rooney would have been fine at CB.

I'd rather Knight than Smith, but still I'd play Odurah.

I also thought Tommo and Rooney were unlucky and there were others I'd have taken off instaed.

It's all about opinions, maybe PW felt that Rooney and Cashin needed more experience around them. Surely the original plan would have been for Sibley and Smith to be playing more advanced in the first half.

Maybe Knight is being eased back from injury and not up to a full 90, Odurah has failed to impress me since his trial game.

Ironically, Sibley in a more defensive roll in the second half, made all the difference going forward. ?

"I said to them at the end of the game that I felt the first half was the old Derby County and the second half was new Derby.

"That's how I saw it and how I want us to play. If we lose playing the way I want to play then it's on me. I understand that. But in the first half there was no pace to our play so I wasn't best pleased."