The Bird enigma

Jimbo Ram

3 minutes ago, England Ram said:

I think he’s the type of player that needs the right compliment next to him to bring out his best. 
put him next to a tackler/ harrier/ sitting type player and he will be at his best. 
Sit him next to someone similar to himself and he gets lost. 

Yes. Shinnie made him look good and maybe you’re suggesting he’ll do better with Knight back in midfield. 

It’s not only who’s beside him, it’s also who’s up against him. It seems lots of teams decide they need to stop his creative threat and they don’t seem to find it difficult 

• 1 month later...

Max Bird has hailed Paul Warne's impact on Derby County's squad and says the Rams head coach is making them "fearless".

"We are a close group," he said. "All the senior lads get on with the younger lads and vice versa. There is a lot of banter flying about as there often is when you are on a bit of a roll. I am really enjoying it and the team is looking good. 

The manager is very good. He's funny and I can't repeat what he said to me on the pitch at the end of the Barnsley game. It's all good. He's giving us the confidence to play, he's making us fearless and our reactions on the pitch are brilliant in terms of if somebody loses the ball, there is no moaning and everybody is after it.

We are a team, we are together and it makes you want to run through a brick wall for him because he is giving us that freedom and confidence to express ourselves. At the end of the day that's why we are on a bit of a run because he is letting us play football like we are 12 years old."

Unlike most of us lot Max can probably remember what playing football aged 12 feels like. I do think that his form has steadily improved all season and that we are much the better for it. Being on field captain at his age must have felt a daunting task at times for a young guy, but he seems to be growing into the role with every game. His referee management is now much more frequent, for example, chipping away like Savage used to do.

On 13/11/2022 at 15:00, kevinhectoring said:

I’d like him to run around the way David Beckham did when he was a youngster. Is that too much to ask ?

Watched Max against Barnsley in the cup , and I do think he is trying to get around the pitch more . But his 2 shots went into the away corner, and it’s clear where Warne has to work with him.

Just needs to believe in himself a little more. He seems quite a shy lad and a tad nervy too. Perhaps he puts too much pressure on himself, or places too much salt in some of the more idiotic criticism he receives? To my eyes, he's as much technical ability as anyone in the squad, if not more and has a grand career ahead of him.

Think he is getting there. Does some great defending by his good positioning, good on the ball and starting to find a good balance between playing it safe and taking a risk. Since he is maybe not the fastest player he need to get that balance right because he is not as quick to recover errors like some other midfielders but his strong attributes compensate and I really thing Bird is developing into a great midfielder. Slow but continuous growth is a bit underrated in todays football where you should be Messi by the time you are 18 years old otherwise you might as well quit... Keep up the good work Max!