The Bird enigma

Jimbo Ram

My biggest criticism of him was how passive he was but I don’t see that player as often any more. He’s still a developing player but one who’s playing with the most intent he ever has done and it’s starting to paying off. 

Not sure he’d have shot from 35 yards out under LR and previous management. 

Plenty more to come from Max, hopefully with the Rams. 

2 hours ago, CodnorRam said:

Dobbin is a prime example of someone that loses the ball constantly by getting muscled off the ball. theyre all 20+ now so cant really use it as an excuse.

The average person's muscle mass doesn't peak until around 25. They still have some way to go, and it's best for them to get their naturally rather than forcing it.

Remember when Chelsea were supposedly interested in signing him a few years ago for around £5m? (no idea if there was any truth in it) .. The way they are spending now on players they may not need.. Wonder if they saw his goal on Saturday?? ?

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

My biggest criticism of him was how passive he was but I don’t see that player as often any more. He’s still a developing player but one who’s playing with the most intent he ever has done and it’s starting to paying off.

Not sure he’d have shot from 35 yards out under LR and previous management.

Plenty more to come from Max, hopefully with the Rams.

Broadly agree, but...

2019/20
Minutes: 1910, Shots: 10 (5 from outside of the box)
A shot every 191 minutes  (every 382 from outside)

2020-21
Minutes: 2066, Shots 18 (10 from outside of the box)
A shot every 115 minutes (every 207 from outside)

2021/22
Minutes: 3617, Shots: 35 (27 from outside of the box)
A shot every 103 minutes (every 134 from outside)

2022/23
Minutes: 2140, Shots:  17 (11 from outside of the box)
A shot every 126 minutes (every 195 from outside)

Granted 'outside of the box' doesn't differentiate between 18 and 80 yards (he may well only ever have hit them from 34 yards out or below before Saturday) but this idea that gets floated about quite regularly about Bird not being allowed to shoot or play it forward under previous managers is a bit of a myth.

Bird is improving, Warne is helping of course (and it isn't all about shots), but the clamour to attribute absolutely everything positive to some step change brought about by the management of Warne is something else.

Edited by Kokosnuss

3 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Bird is improving, Warne is helping of course (and it isn't all about shots), but the clamour to attribute absolutely everything positive to some step change brought about by the management of Warne is something else.

He's a different, better player under Warne, I attribute it to his coaching and tactics, but I suppose it could have been something he ate.

5 hours ago, angieram said:

It's all a load of tat anyway, isn't it? Who was it who got easily shrugged off the ball for their first goal? Not Bird.

People need to actually watch the games instead of believing what those airheads on Radio Derby tell them.

Need to get off the fence Angie and just say it how you see it ?

5 hours ago, Srg said:

I tend to avoid Radio Derby as they're so bad. We could be 4 up and clean through on goal to score a 5th and they make it sound like we're being completely dominated. 

I happened to flick it on on Saturday whilst in the car and within the space of two minutes Dawes managed to say that Sibley had been mugged. Which to me, and anyone else I've asked, tends to mean he has lost the ball easily but no, to Dawes it means he's been fouled. He then proceeded to say the keeper came to claim whilst simultaneously 'staying at home'. Feel like I need a Dawes Dictionary to decipher what the hell is going on and who's playing well.

I dont listen to radio Derby now, would rather follow the away games on this forum.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's a different, better player under Warne, I attribute it to his coaching and tactics, but I suppose it could have been something he ate.

He's been working on his long range shooting for a long time. He specifically called out Lampard as a driving force in doing extra sessions after training here:

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/03/bird-eager-to-keep-improving-after-signing-new-contract

In the same interview, he also says he planned to return for the 19/20 season fitter and stronger. An approach he's been taking every season. 

Warne didn't wave a magic wand. Bird is very self motivated

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He's been working on his long range shooting for a long time. He specifically called out Lampard as a driving force in doing extra sessions after training here: https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/03/bird-eager-to-keep-improving-after-signing-new-contract In the same interview, he also says he planned to return for the 19/20 season fitter and stronger. An approach he's been taking every season. 

Warne didn't wave a magic wand. Bird is very self motivated

The two aren't mutually exclusive. He looks a better player and where he is playing is down to Warne.

Edited by RoyMac5

59 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Bird and Hourihane in central midfield = pretty naff 

add Jason Knight = they start to look better players 

Was saying this the other day. Knights work rate, tenacity, never give up attitude, selfless team play and unbelievable fitness levels allow our other midfielders to be more attacking and risk taking.

Hourihane in particular has looked so much more confident in arriving late into the box, taking risks and scoring goals since knight is there.

Players can push on, safe in the knowledge that if the move breaks down knight will be there sprinting back into shape helping cover runners and counter attacks.

Hourihane and bird are technically gifted players but with limited pace. They would love to be in there knowing knight can cover for them.

Real good balance to the midfield.

3 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Broadly agree, but...

2019/20
Minutes: 1910, Shots: 10 (5 from outside of the box)
A shot every 191 minutes  (every 382 from outside)

2020-21
Minutes: 2066, Shots 18 (10 from outside of the box)
A shot every 115 minutes (every 207 from outside)

2021/22
Minutes: 3617, Shots: 35 (27 from outside of the box)
A shot every 103 minutes (every 134 from outside)

2022/23
Minutes: 2140, Shots:  17 (11 from outside of the box)
A shot every 126 minutes (every 195 from outside)

Granted 'outside of the box' doesn't differentiate between 18 and 80 yards (he may well only ever have hit them from 34 yards out or below before Saturday) but this idea that gets floated about quite regularly about Bird not being allowed to shoot or play it forward under previous managers is a bit of a myth.

I think you've done a deep dive into something I wasn't really arguing. It's not about shots at all, totally agree. But in that situation; 40/45 yards from goal when he picks the ball up with space, time, passing options etc I just don't think Bird takes it on under previous regimes/previous seasons. 

Maybe it's Warne and the coaching teams influence, maybe it's Max naturally growing into the position but for the first quarter of the season and the years before that I just don't remember Max taking on situations like that. He was offloading that ball to somebody else more often than not and playing it safe. 

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I think you've done a deep dive into something I wasn't really arguing. It's not about shots at all, totally agree. But in that situation; 40/45 yards from goal when he picks the ball up with space, time, passing options etc I just don't think Bird takes it on under previous regimes/previous seasons. 

Maybe it's Warne and the coaching teams influence, maybe it's Max naturally growing into the position but for the first quarter of the season and the years before that I just don't remember Max taking on situations like that. He was offloading that ball to somebody else more often than not and playing it safe. 

Just using your post as a jumping off point rather than it being an argument against what you posted ?

Edited by Kokosnuss