The Bird enigma

Jimbo Ram

On 11/01/2023 at 08:55, CodnorRam said:

Like all our academy lads i think they need to bulk up. I think a bulked up max bird would be brilliant.

Bird has loads of silky finesse and an excellent football brain. More strength wouldn’t go amiss for sure.  And it’s also about athleticism - speed, agility, stamina - he needs to be working on all that. 

Temperament is key as well. It’s clear from hearing him speak that off the pitch he’s a lovely guy. On the pitch he needs to less lovely  - he needs to pretend he’s Roy Keane, unpleasant though that may be 

It was great to see Bird pick out the top corner from 30-odd yards. It's something I think we have hoped he would do more often for a long time, because he has such a huge skillset that he could potentially come close to the guy that we saw Thorne become during his loan stint here. 

I don't think he lacks anything mentality or physically, but he needs to put more of a stamp on games. A moment like that can put some hairs on a young midfielders' chest. 

I'm always amused by the English football fans obsession with deep lying midfielders running around flying into tackles and barging into people like rugby players. Then when England play a good team we wonder why we haven't got a Pirlo, Modric or Toni Kroos.

No one skilful can play DCM in England without supporters wanting to turn them into Vinnie Jones.

7 hours ago, sage said:

I'm always amused by the English football fans obsession with deep lying midfielders running around flying into tackles and barging into people like rugby players. Then when England play a good team we wonder why we haven't got a Pirlo, Modric or Toni Kroos.

No one skilful can play DCM in England without supporters wanting to turn them into Vinnie Jones.

Yes I certainly wouldn’t want Max to become a thug. I think there’s a case that he needs to learn how to use his body a bit better at times which is a different skill. The top players can withstand a bump and retain possession or can ‘lever’ a player off the ball using their hips and shoulders.

He’s without doubt a bright talent and we’re lucky to have him.

53 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes I certainly wouldn’t want Max to become a thug. I think there’s a case that he needs to learn how to use his body a bit better at times which is a different skill. The top players can withstand a bump and retain possession or can ‘lever’ a player off the ball using their hips and shoulders.

He’s without doubt a bright talent and we’re lucky to have him.

I think we also forget he's still young. His contribution over these difficult years make him a legend already to me. Felt like my son had scored that goal Saturday! Main reason I want us to bounce straight up is if I was our  youngsters I may have thought or been advised give it a year in league 1 and then if no signs of big improvement I need to be selfish. Not being able to offer them improved and longer contracts is by far the worst aspect of admin for me. Rather than a total change to business plan this is the one aspect I would be concentrating on with EFL

Apart from the goal ( outstanding ), Bird as developed under the stewardship of Warne and co into a fine player. The knack of finding space and therefore being more involved in the play is a huge improvement in his general game. I called him out on numerous occasions for hiding during games and letting the game pass him by. Wether it is the drop in standard of his opposition or his improved ability only time will tell. 

9 hours ago, sage said:

Well we've always played well when against top teams like prem teams in the cups or top end of the championship and lost to the rubbish at the bottom of the league that are more physical. Unfortunately this league is really physical so they do need to bulk up.  no one is saying turn into a massive aggressive lump , just abit bigger so they aint easily muscled off the ball

30 minutes ago, CodnorRam said:

Well we've always played well when against top teams like prem teams in the cups or top end of the championship and lost to the rubbish at the bottom of the league that are more physical. Unfortunately this league is really physical so they do need to bulk up.  no one is saying turn into a massive aggressive lump , just abit bigger so they aint easily muscled off the ball

The thing is you can't ask youngsters to do more with their bodies than they are physically ready for. It's quite obvious that Bird, Sibley and Knight have all 'grown up' and are better equipped to learn how to use their bodies. You can't rush that. So you can't ask Dobbin to put himself about like Colin or Chrissy used to, he's not physically ready.

Edited by RoyMac5

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The thing is you can't ask youngsters to do more with their bodies than they are physically ready for. It's quite obvious that Bird, Sibley and Knight have all 'grown up' and are better equipped to learn how to use their bodies. You can't rush that. So you can't ask Dobbin to put himself about like Colin or Chrissy used to, he's not physically ready.

Excellent, insightful post.

Have you been hacked?

?

1 minute ago, angieram said:

It's all a load of tat anyway, isn't it? Who was it who got easily shrugged off the ball for their first goal anyway? Not Bird.

People need to actually watch the games instead of believing what those airheads on Radio Derby tell them.

I tend to avoid Radio Derby as they're so bad. We could be 4 up and clean through on goal to score a 5th and they make it sound like we're being completely dominated. 

I happened to flick it on on Saturday whilst in the car and within the space of two minutes Dawes managed to say that Sibley had been mugged. Which to me, and anyone else I've asked, tends to mean he has lost the ball easily but no, to Dawes it means he's been fouled. He then proceeded to say the keeper came to claim whilst simultaneously 'staying at home'. Feel like I need a Dawes Dictionary to decipher what the hell is going on and who's playing well.

10 hours ago, sage said:

Because everyone needs to bulk up like it's still 1994.

24 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Bulking up didn’t do much to help Miles Addison’s career as I recall . Much better to let their bodies settle and then strengthen as you say  

40 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Dobbin is a prime example of someone that loses the ball constantly by getting muscled off the ball. theyre all 20+ now so cant really use it as an excuse.

51 minutes ago, angieram said:

It's all a load of tat anyway, isn't it? Who was it who got easily shrugged off the ball for their first goal? Not Bird.

People need to actually watch the games instead of believing what those airheads on Radio Derby tell them.

The problem is that watching games seems to instill no more a sense in some of what actually happened than listening to Radio Derby!