The Bird enigma

Jimbo Ram

Something that has come to light through the player interviews is that Paul has given them freedom to play their natural game - “just play football” is the phrase that comes to mind. So when a player receives the ball he no longer has to think back to what Rosenior’s “on the road to nowhere” manual says, they just do what comes naturally. Such as giving it a right belting from 35 yards! 

15 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I think you've done a deep dive into something I wasn't really arguing. It's not about shots at all, totally agree. But in that situation; 40/45 yards from goal when he picks the ball up with space, time, passing options etc I just don't think Bird takes it on under previous regimes/previous seasons. 

Maybe it's Warne and the coaching teams influence, maybe it's Max naturally growing into the position but for the first quarter of the season and the years before that I just don't remember Max taking on situations like that. He was offloading that ball to somebody else more often than not and playing it safe. 

Maybe not 35 yards out on his stronger foot, but he has scored from 28 yards out on his weaker foot under a recent manager. Warne must have spoken to him before that game.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/iframe/stream-video/11757