Torquay v Derby (A) Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

Shouldn't be risking anyone against Torquay, and to be honest I'm not sure I would against Liverpool either. A couple of rounds further on then maybe.

If our reserves/youngsters can't beat Torquay I'm not sure they have a future in professional football.

Lost track of who has been farmed out recently but fringe players like Rooney, Thompson, Osula and so on are more than capable. The not so sures like Oduroh are going to have to be trusted to step up, and those bubbling under like Aghatise have got to get a chance at some point so why not now.

Can't keep running our players into the ground, and certainly can't risk defensive injuries.

3 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Just got here in Torquay, checked in at the Hilton and was told the team are staying here. It’s raining at the moment.

Four hour drive here with no hold ups.COYR.

we are leaving at 5 30 in the morning , breakfast in Torquay , beer till kick off    COYR

12 minutes ago, Rample said:

Shouldn't be risking anyone against Torquay, and to be honest I'm not sure I would against Liverpool either. A couple of rounds further on then maybe.

If our reserves/youngsters can't beat Torquay I'm not sure they have a future in professional football.

Lost track of who has been farmed out recently but fringe players like Rooney, Thompson, Osula and so on are more than capable. The not so sures like Oduroh are going to have to be trusted to step up, and those bubbling under like Aghatise have got to get a chance at some point so why not now.

Can't keep running our players into the ground, and certainly can't risk defensive injuries.

I think that would be a rather harsh conclusion. The Papa John Trophy has shown us that often youngsters fail to beat a team of senior players from a division a few tiers below them.

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I think that would be a rather harsh conclusion. The Papa John Trophy has shown us that often youngsters fail to beat a team of senior players from a division a few tiers below them.

I agree. You only have to recall what a tough physical experience it was for the youth side against Chorley. We'll need the likes of Stearman and perhaps Smith and Collins in there to give us an experienced backbone. 

19 minutes ago, Rample said:

Obviously Thompson, Oduroh and Rooney will play so long as they're fit. My recollection is that Aghatise has hardly been fit all season and checking he didn't feature in the U21s last time out, so is presumably still out. Nunn captained that last U21 team so that's why I have him on the bench in my proposed Torquay selection. But the Academy has been decimated by our recent woes and I don't think it's anything like strong enough to use as the basis for a team in a game of men's football like this. And we must also remember that, following those financial woes, a cup run can be a huge bonus for us, getting to the third or fourth round and drawing a "glamorous" Premier League side. Sadly we are in that position where it all helps.

2 hours ago, Rample said:

Fair comment about injuries but youngsters should be able to play in these games without being run into the ground. The senior players are more prone to injury, take longer to recover from them and are the ones at risk of exhaustion if they play too much 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I think the sea is out there somewhere. In foggy Babbacombe! 

20221105_160138.jpg

You been on the Babbacombe funicular down to beach nice cafe on the beach if still open this time of year.

Museum worth a visit as well 

Edited by cstand

3 hours ago, Rample said:

Thing is mate the further we go in the cups the more money we shall go in the club again maybe a bit more money to bring in players with.

I live 90 miles from Torquay and 140 miles from Pride Park.  So a rare chance for me to see the Rams.  Tickets shouldn't be that hard to come by.

However, instead I'll be driving 165 miles up to Chesterfield (and back again) for a nephew's daughter's dedication service.  Sigh.

At least I can record it from terrestrial TV.  Let's hope for Bristol Rovers in Round 2...

COYR!