Tactics. Warne vs Rosenior

Curtains

Tactics and effort  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

I think now Rosenior has gone people are remembering his football more fondly than they should. It was ok for Oxford, Charlton and the first 45 v Barnsley, after that it started to decline and never recovered. The only exception to that that I can think of was West Brom at home in the cup, that was a good performance.

...and I think it's quite the opposite, with it being made out to be far worse than it was, but there you go.

It's almost like people are surprised that the quality of the play from us would start to wane after a few games of a fairly robust schedule, and then conveniently ignoring the circumstances surrounding the buildup to our season, make up of the squad, fitness levels smaller clubs raising their game against us, all of that.

They'd rather have a fall guy.

You can blame it on Rosenior's style if you like, but it was always going to happen just as the initial bout of energy seen under Warne has fallen away to some equally poor (some would say even worse) performances.

I think an interesting question might be...

If Rosenior did the recruitment, but Warne took over the team from the first game of the season, where would we be?

Edited by Kokosnuss

Despite loving the possession football under Mac (1&2) I found roseniors (you know,that temporary stand in manager we had) football utterly tedious.

He somehow managed to make passing football look like a boring and goalless pastime when we know it doesn't have to be.

Thanks for your time Liam but I'm glad we moved on (well some of us have).

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Despite loving the possession football under Mac (1&2) I found roseniors (you know,that temporary stand in manager we had) football utterly tedious.

He somehow managed to make passing football look like a boring and goalless pastime when we know it doesn't have to be.

Exactly this. If Warne fails then maybe we need to find a manager that plays 'good' football but not at snails pace. Ultimately i'm not precious about styles only about winning but it would appear a lot on this forum are bothered about styles and therefore have their knives out already. 

If they was an option for they are both s**** I'd go for that but I went for Rosenior's style because it fits our players better. 

I think part of the problem is Rosenior was got rid of with credit still left in the bank and was removed of his duties 2 games too early. Meaning it was a mixed consensus decision which adds to the pressure Warne faces. Think things might improve with Collins  back in the squad but I'm pretty dubious when it comes to him being the right man long term. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

...and I think it's quite the opposite, with it being made out to be far worse than it was, but there you go.

It's almost like people are surprised that the quality of the play from us would start to wane after a few games of a fairly robust schedule, and then conveniently ignoring the circumstances surrounding the buildup to our season, make up of the squad, fitness levels smaller clubs raising their game against us, all of that.

They'd rather have a fall guy.

You can blame it on Rosenior's style if you like, but it was always going to happen just as the initial bout of energy seen under Warne has fallen away to some equally poor (some would say even worse) performances.

I think an interesting question might be...

If Rosenior did the recruitment, but Warne took over the team from the first game of the season, where would we be?

Probably exactly where we are now but having got there a different way.

You can argue the case between the 2 managers but the players just haven't been up to scratch, you can list plenty of them but the biggest disappointment so far for me is the contribution from Bird and Hourihanne. The latter has chipped in with goals but generally in open play they've both been really poor.

When the 10 signings were announced optimism was high, but the players just haven't been as good as we thought they we going to be.

There probably is a third option missing which is ‘neither of the above’ and a fourth which is ‘bits of both’ ’ (I’d like a 5th too.. Steve Mac’s style please).

What you really want to see is something that works.  Any football looks bad when what you’re trying to do isn’t working for whatever reason (wrong players, wrong opposition, wrong officials etc).  I can’t believe Rosenior wanted our possession play to be lethargic, but the players probably didn’t have the confidence or ability to do what he wanted at a high enough tempo, to accept the ball under pressure, to move it quickly etc. So you get ponderous ‘safe’ play that doesn’t look good.

I doubt Warne wants to keep losing possession by lumping it forward with nobody to receive it, or to not get to 2nd balls and not break up play in the middle, not press high or hard enough etc, but he hasn’t the players who can play like that (seemingly). So it looks like we haven’t got a clue, don’t create chances, don’t have a clear pattern of play and it looks bad.

Both managers were/are at an early stage in their Derby careers and both would/will need more time to find a way of playing with the squad they have that works.

When that happens, whether it be possession based or more direct, it will probably be more successful and as a result will (probably) look better and be more entertaining - or, at the very least, the aesthetic limitations will be forgiven or overlooked if we are getting better results (Wee Billy and Rowett probably prove my theory because although relatively successful it wasn’t pretty to watch, but they weren’t criticised that much for their style - at least while they were here).

Steve Mac’s style was lovely to watch, but if he’d tried that without having the players to match would it have been a disaster of high tempo frantic passing and losing the ball and being exposed at the back and so on and so forth.

Anyway, Roseniors way probably wasn’t working for many and he’s gone. Warne’s way isn’t really working at the moment, but he’s here, probably here to stay and so let’s see if he can work it out. I have some hope we will, but time will tell.

Edited by LazloW

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

It’s a simple poll. 

You either like Roseniors tactics or Warnes.  
 Sorry if it annoys some but that’s the question 

David isn’t happy by looks of it 

I don’t think I’ve done many or any polls before .

I’m not unhappy, just don’t really see the point.

For what it’s worth, I always believe a manager needs a year at the club at least, something which Rosenior never had the privilege of (being in charge), Warne not even close.

Where we are now is Warne has been at the club for a month, during that time he’s been on holiday, we’ve had an international break with a few of the players away so he will still be in that figuring out what’s what and who can do what stage.

He’s clearly asking something completely different from the players and that won’t happen over night, I’m not sure we truly saw the best a Rosenior team could offer, nor have we seen what the best a Warne team can offer.

I think we’re in danger of looking like a very silly fanbase (online) and should have some more patience before ripping into him, at least let him have the January window to bring in some players he likes for his system. 

We didn’t play it out from the back under Rosinor we passed it sideways until we found the opposition player successfully under Warne we lump it over the opponent defenders and hope we get on the end of it and maybe score a goal like at Accrington but under both systems only mendiz Lang looks like he might actually create anything up until about 60 minutes then it’s up to Hourihane to get on the ball on the edge of the area and have a shot at goal - that’s it folks that’s all we have but it might be enough to get in the playoffs and maybe back to the championship 

11 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It's hypothetical, but hard to imagine that if we can't beat Exeter at home then Peterborough, Oxford and Wycombe more than match us too.

Yes and we only scraped past those sides under Rosenior. Nevertheless, a win is a win. If Warne had started managing from the first game then I reckon we would have at least built up some consistency by now. I just couldn't imagine us being any lower down the table, if anything I'd say we would be further up.

5 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Moved on to what ?