Tactics. Warne vs Rosenior

Curtains

Tactics and effort  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

The league table tells us that doesn't it?

Not really a fan of xG its as useful as VAR.

The argument here seems to be on how successful the tactics of both are. Seems to be a lot of I feel this and I think that about chances etc… this eliminates that. League table has Plymouth top yet this chart would indicate they are not the best team in the league… something I personally agree with and that this chart says Derby will make the play offs if they continue how they have been playing.. something I personally disagree with.

But then again I think that LR was the right man and his tactics were right for success in the long term so in this forum I’m like the devil incarnate.. ?

10 hours ago, Jubbs said:

The charts great but not sure on Experimental361's xG model compared to the likes of Opta's who has us better defensively.

That chart only states the obvious.

Derby need to strengthen, but are blocked from doing so because there's no transfer budget.

We acquired many free agents over the summer, many aged players who were probably seeking their last move.

We would have selected better players if we had a transfer budget.

Having no decent sell on value and aged players is a problem, those players will still be with the club over the next few seasons, we will not easily sell them on and next season they will be a year older.

If your club buys players from age 32 upwards, you don't want your club to buy a lot of such players, although they still have great footballing minds, their speed can only get slower and they are more likely to pick up injuries.

To.shape the club we need a team that can perform as well as ipswich, but that will take time.

On the positive side, we still exist as a team.

A number of the free agents we signed are good players, if played in the right formation.

Problem is many of the older players already have a best position, for playing in, if the formations right.

The old saying "you can't teach an old dog, new tricks" applies.

My point of view still remains neutral. We completely knew what Rosenior wanted by the time he left. Just feel there's a massive amount of presumption going off as to what Warne's style of play actually is. Far too many just assuming hoofball, based off never having actually watched Rotherham play in either division, when he's hamstrung by the players he has and an extremely thin squad.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's hoofball, or will be hoofball when he's signed some players of his choosing, but I am fully behind playing with higher intensity and aggression both on and off the ball.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

My point of view still remains neutral. We completely knew what Rosenior wanted by the time he left. Just feel there's a massive amount of presumption going off as to what Warne's style of play actually is. Far too many just assuming hoofball, based off never having actually watched Rotherham play in either division, when he's hamstrung by the players he has and an extremely thin squad.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's hoofball, or will be hoofball when he's signed some players of his choosing, but I am fully behind playing with higher intensity and aggression both on and off the ball.

Thing is some seem to think that we will trade football ability for intensity and aggression. That's what remains to be seen, whether he sets up to get the best out of our squad or sets up to have us play his way 'at cost'.

In league one this season (and however long we remain there) points and wins are the only consideration how we play and how good or bad the football looks is very much secondary 

"With Derby on the road for a month, starting with a trip to Morecambe tomorrow night, Warne will have plenty of time to test his players' knowledge, with Bird already having proved himself. "I might have a couple of quizzes lined up and I love a quiz," said the Rams boss. "In the tactical meeting the other day it turned into a quiz. They all had to bring their phone and it's a timed quiz."

"Birdy won so he gets a £20 Starbucks voucher off me. We did it on the tactics. Are we doing this or that and you can see who got it wrong. It's brilliant. The quicker you are the more points you get. There were questions on our pressing drill and all this. It's a good way to learn and a good way to get them to engage with meetings."

I’m very much in the deal with now camp , deal with the situation and league we are in , yes you want an eye on the future but I think we possibly have been living in the future before we get there and as a result never getting there under Morris, buying and building for the future at the cost of not doing what we need to do in the now

55 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

"With Derby on the road for a month, starting with a trip to Morecambe tomorrow night, Warne will have plenty of time to test his players' knowledge, with Bird already having proved himself. "I might have a couple of quizzes lined up and I love a quiz," said the Rams boss. "In the tactical meeting the other day it turned into a quiz. They all had to bring their phone and it's a timed quiz."

"Birdy won so he gets a £20 Starbucks voucher off me. We did it on the tactics. Are we doing this or that and you can see who got it wrong. It's brilliant. The quicker you are the more points you get. There were questions on our pressing drill and all this. It's a good way to learn and a good way to get them to engage with meetings."

Can't believe Warne has the squad doing Kahoot! quizzes ?

38 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Well Hourihane’s not exactly famous for running around but Warne’s changing his ways 

Up until Saturday, I didn't see a future for Hourihane under Warne, but full credit to him, he put a great shift in. 

Also, Collins, despite being an old un, never stopped running and closing down, showing up the much younger and fresher Osula in the process.

Hourihane didn't really  'run about' on Saturday though, fastest he moved was the tackle he launched into which another ref (especially the ones in this league!) might even have sent him off for.

It's amazing the difference a player getting a spectacularly clinical hat trick from 3 (not even easy) chances can do for the perception of some of your other players.

We jumped on their mistakes whenever we could,.but I don't necessarily think it was the pressing that caused the mistakes in the first place.

We used our experience to control the last half hour, similarly to the Accrington away game, plus a bit of time wasting too, it's not like we all ran strong for 90.minutes.

Edited by Kokosnuss