The Sibley Enigma

sage

On 06/11/2022 at 20:59, Ghost of Clough said:

Wherever he can drive forward with the ball at his feet through the middle of the pitch, without too much defensive responsibility.

The most attacking of a midfield 3.

I was at the game last night and was impressed with Sibley , but I am a big fan. The only opinion that matters is that of Warne  who seems to warming to Sibbo. I have never doubted that he is our best finisher. Did you see that penalty ? I hope our manager builds a team that gets Sibley into as many scoring positions as possible.

On 10/11/2022 at 00:18, kevinhectoring said:

Rice is the perfect player to do a particular thing that Southgate wants in his system of play. Well why else would he be on the pitch ?

Oh i know that now… i just remember earlier on in his career there was a lot of hoo har about him and i couldnt see why 

now , yes its obvious 

and in my defence its not like i watched him week in week out 

21 minutes ago, SuffolkRam said:

He ran in behind Thommo and on in front of Sibley who didn’t react.

I watched it (again) on the goals - Tommo saw him coming and looked at him and didn't react - he's the midfielder, why didn't he track him? I thought that when it happened and still think that.

And anyway, other than that ? Sibley had a very good game.

Edited by RoyMac5

30 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I watched it (again) on the goals - Tommo saw him coming and looked at him and didn't react - he's the midfielder, why didn't he track him? I thought that when it happened and still think that.

And anyway, other than that ? Sibley had a very good game.

After weeks of discussing his work rate and output in cameo appearances, we're now arguing about one possible error in 90 minutes, playing out of position, against Liverpool, at Anfield. 
Fresh Prince Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

5 minutes ago, richinspain said:

After weeks of discussing his work rate and output in cameo appearances, we're now arguing about one possible error in 90 minutes, playing out of position, against Liverpool, at Anfield. 
Fresh Prince Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

He does seem to come in for a  ridiculous amount of scrutiny compared to someone like Jason Knight who appears to be completely above criticism despite missing sitters and giving away penalties (this season). 

8 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

He does seem to come in for a  ridiculous amount of scrutiny compared to someone like Jason Knight who appears to be completely above criticism despite missing sitters and giving away penalties (this season). 

I know I shouldn't argue with other people's offhand opinions, but I just want everyone to love our Louie! ?

There’s no sibley enigma. We know what we get from sibley, there are few surprises. We even expect an exceptional goal every few matches. 

But what there is is a weird fan enigma when it comes to sibley. He turns up most weeks and plays a sort of ok game, whether or not he starts. Then all his godfathers on here rabbit on about how he can ‘drive forward with pace’ (pace !!) and blame the manager that he’s not playing like Mason Mount. That’s the enigma

5 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

There’s no sibley enigma. We know what we get from sibley, there are few surprises. We even expect an exceptional goal every few matches. 

But what there is is a weird fan enigma when it comes to sibley. He turns up most weeks and plays a sort of ok game, whether or not he starts. Then all his godfathers on here rabbit on about how he can ‘drive forward with pace’ (pace !!) and blame the manager that he’s not playing like Mason Mount. That’s the enigma

That was one of the main points of the thread. 

He divides opinion. 

5 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Because the stats, particularly early this season, showed we were simply a better team with him on the pitch. There was a point a month or two into the season where we hadn’t scored unless he was on the pitch.

Could he improve? Certainly. He could do with becoming more rounded because I don’t think he has the pace necessary at times, so doing better defensively or knitting play together will help him. He does however, provide someone who can drop a shoulder and get a shot off - something we sorely lack over the past few years. 

The reason he had such vocal backing was from the sheer refusal of Rooney to give him any minutes despite the state of the squad, and that seemingly continuing in large parts with Rosenior. Thankfully, Warne seems more willing to use him and hopefully a run of games will do him the world of good because although you might think everyone rabbits on about it, it was born out of really odd avoidance of game time of previous management. 

No one is asking for him to play week in week out regardless of form. What it would be nice to have though, would be the same leash everyone else seems to have. 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Thought he had a decent game, unlucky not to be passed to when in good positions, put over a couple of dangerous crosses for (just about) assists. Not sure why the low 'below average' scores.

He was pretty poor first half with poor control and a few misplaced passes. He was oddly better at left back than in midfield, which I didn't expect.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Thought he had a decent game, unlucky not to be passed to when in good positions, put over a couple of dangerous crosses for (just about) assists. Not sure why the low 'below average' scores.

I'm a Sibley fan and desperately want him to fulfill his potential.

However, your comment about "unlucky not to be passed to when in good positions" makes all the more conspicuous the memory of him being clean through along with two other Derby players, practically three against one or two defenders. Sibley dwelt too long, didn't play the first time pass that would've put someone through on goal, instead took it too wide and put in a lame cross beyond everyone.

Summed him up last night.....poor.

21 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Sibley is a kind of player the reason managers aren't sure where to play him, Can be sublime one game and poor the next, Fulfilling potential you have to be consistent and this is his downfall, Not cementing his own position/or play out of position can make some players a little fragile and try that bit harder which then backfires, I noticed last night he was easily knocked off the ball, Weak in some challenges and his decision making somewhat indifferent.

He needs an extended team selection, But how long do you give him if he turns in unproductive performances ?‍♀️

30 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

However, your comment about "unlucky not to be passed to when in good positions" makes all the more conspicuous the memory of him being clean through along with two other Derby players, practically three against one or two defenders. Sibley dwelt too long, didn't play the first time pass that would've put someone through on goal, instead took it too wide and put in a lame cross beyond everyone.

You ignored the fact that he was involved in two of the goals? That McGoldrick could have passed to him rather than Osula - he was getting into good positions.

What was his position last night - not sure where Warne has him playing. But some of it came off and some didn't.

1 minute ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Sibley is a kind of player the reason managers aren't sure where to play him, Can be sublime one game and poor the next, Fulfilling potential you have to be consistent and this is his downfall, Not cementing his own position/or play out of position can make some players a little fragile and try that bit harder which then backfires, I noticed last night he was easily knocked off the ball, Weak in some challenges and his decision making somewhat indifferent.

He needs an extended team selection, But how long do you give him if he turns in unproductive performances ?‍♀️

I thought he was better second half. Didn't dive into challenges, a lot more disciplined. 

Ideally he should be played as the most attacking midfielder, off a striker. He does need a run in the team, a run in the same position but we don't really have that luxury in squad depth right now.