The Sibley Enigma

sage

8 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I would argue that it’s 4-2-4 at the moment.

I can’t really see how NML and Dobbin can be seen as midfield players in the way they play.

We therefore need two strong defensive mids in that type of lineup.

Bielik’s return would help. Who to put with him is another question.

If we revert to 4-3-3 when Knight comes back it gives Sibley more chance as a left sided midfield player.

I personally can't see beyond Warne playing 2 up top. Which means the current 4222/4231/442 or switching back to 352. The latter is what I'm expecting Warne to recruit into in January.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I personally can't see beyond Warne playing 2 up top. Which means the current 4222/4231/442 or switching back to 352. The latter is what I'm expecting Warne to recruit into in January.

I would agree which doesn't suit Sibley, unless it's 4231 then he up against McGoldrick 

On 04/11/2022 at 16:34, sage said:

I would agree which doesn't suit Sibley, unless it's 4231 then he up against McGoldrick 

Genuine question 

what does suit sibley?

we’re running out of positions to try him in…. Lol

ok joking aside… i really dont think i see what a lot of others seem to think he has.

hes young and has ability, clearly theres something there

im not writing him off, its just like declan rice , i was never sure what the hoo har was all about … til it became obvious lol

granted i never really saw him play that much.

11 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Genuine question 

what does suit sibley?

ok joking aside… i really dont think i see what a lot of others seem to think he has.

im not writing him off, its just like declan rice , i was never sure what the hoo har was all about … til it became obvious lol

Some say as a number ten in a 4231 whilst others talk about the mythical three man midfield of Bird, Knight and Sibley 

38 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Genuine question 

what does suit sibley?

Wherever he can drive forward with the ball at his feet through the middle of the pitch, without too much defensive responsibility.

The most attacking of a midfield 3.

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Rice is the perfect player to do a particular thing that Southgate wants in his system of play. Well why else would he be on the pitch ?

The thing Rice does very well is win the ball back and play it simply to one of his team mates. And that's fine, you want somebody doing that.  The problem is, we've spent most of the time playing him alongside Kalvin Phillips who by and large does the exact same thing, so you just end up with Rice and Phillips passing sideways to each other.  One of those guys passing it to the likes of Mount and Bellingham would be much more effective IMO.  But Southgate seems so worried about his centre halves making mistakes, that he seems to want to play an extra centre half and 2 sitters in front of them.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Why are we singling Sibley out for this level of scrutiny ? 

He is the most erratic of our players. 

At times he was the only Derby player willing to actually go head-to-head with the opposition instead of just turning back and playing it backwards. He looks stronger, was finding lots of space and generally is a home grown lad who everyone wants to succeed.

He also played some very clumsy passes, delivered poor last balls and shinned an absolute shocker of a shot over the bar. Hard to know if he's the real deal or has an inflated reputation where fan's heart are talking more than the head.