The Sibley Enigma

sage

I’m not sure he’s any better now than he was two years ago.

He’s a nearly player. He flatters to deceive. He’s a good ball carrier but time and again his end product is poor.

He looks a bit better this season only because he’s amongst poorer players.

He’s a starter or a used sub in our current squad because we have few options.

We've done a pretty poor job of nurturing our young players since the Cocu days tbf, part by design part by circumstance.

They shouldn't have needed to be carrying the weight of the team on their shoulders, played too much out of necessity and shunted around the pitch, but that's exactly what happened .

The ones who've come in over the past couple of seasons have moved on and up before we've had chance to see whether their form was a flash on the pan or not, the ones who were here before that have been through the mill with us and I think it shows in their lack of progression.

Sibley had probably had the least opportunity to play his own game than the others tbf, but he has had not opportunities recently and not really excelled either.

Sometimes a young player's progress can stall, they find themselves out of the team a lot and when they return they struggle to reattain the verve that got them noticed in the first place. 

Some will manage to get it back, others will fade into obscurity, others find a place lower down the leagues and have steady careers.  It's just the way it goes.

A move away can do wonders for some, whereas sticking around causes them more harm than good - it's not like Hughes has hit the heights he could have, maybe he stuck around too long in the end?

Edited by Kokosnuss

20 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Unfortunately he hasn’t really kicked on.

There was a lot of buzz about our youth team which won the PL back in 2018/19.

But being good at that age doesn’t always mean you have PL potential.

It’s not like we had a squad full of Jude Bellinghams.

We had several players who have played at championship level. That is unusual as a collective. 

He's very good.

His best position is clearly central midfield.

I'm pleased Warne has given him the full 90 minutes in the last 2 games when other midfielders have come and gone. Plus in my discussions with Warne, the manager also sees him as a midfielder, says he's training really well and has made a very positive impression on our new boss.

Edited by Carl Sagan

Feels like the right thread to say I was told about a year ago that Rooney didn’t believe Sibley had the intelligence to make it as the level he could do. All the skill, but lacking the brains to use it. That’s why he didn’t use him very often as he was very poor at understanding tactical instructions. 

Whether Rooney was right or not we shall see. Warne certainly seems to rate him higher.

Edited by Millenniumram

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Feels like the right thread to say I was told about a year ago that Rooney didn’t believe Sibley had the intelligence to make it as the level he could do. All the skill, but lacking the brains to use it. That’s why he didn’t use him very often as he was very poor at understanding tactical instructions. 

Whether Rooney was right or not we shall see. Warne certainly seems to rate him higher.

We don't have Lawrence now, so this is bound to give Sibley more opportunities 

I would agree with Rooney about LS not reading the game and lack of tactical awareness. Said this many times, but he does some things very well and many things very badly 

He's got enough to make a championship career for himself and warne likes his work ethic.

A league 1 and Championship "Daisy" player (because there's days he does it, and days he doesn't) but not to be sniffed at because there's still useful contributions he can make.

Over time it seems like that hattrick was a flash in the pan, but hey ho, we've had worse "highly rated youth prospect" players in and out the side over the years.

2 hours ago, Magicman said:

He has ball control issues  and on a bad day looks hopeless. On a good day he flatter to deceive and should be dominating games more . I am inclined to think he is best coming on later. 

This is spot on! The ball often seems to bounce for him. Just give the lad intensive ball control training when pressured by someone. Doesn't need anything else in my opinion, only needs to work on his general ball control. Ohh, and a bit positioning as well but that's not really as important. 

When that's sorted he will be one h3// of a player because the lad can play!

I'm pretty much along the lines of Kokussnuss, in that he has hardly ever had the chance to play in his best position for any length of time. I have said may times that the opportunities he has had have been stuck out wide on one wing or the other, oe brought on from the bench, often too late to change the game. He needs to be played just behind the front one or two, and given the chance to run at defenders, because that is what he does best. He is also likely to let fly at the earliest opportunity, often before the defence are expecting it, and is how he has scored a number of his goals. He would also benefit playing off a strong centre forward, picking up the knock-downs and lay-offs, but hasn't had the opportunity. As I have also said, it is the Derby way - Vydra would have been deadly playing off Chris Martin, but the two never played together, and for a while Vydra was only ever playing out of position, even as a lone target man on a few occasions! When we did put him in his best position, he started to flourish. We did it with Weimmann, who was only ever used out on the wing. When he went to Bristol they played him down the middle and he started scoring goals. Funny that.  Let's hope Warne gives him a good run where he should be playing. I don't think Warne will mess about, or rest on sentiment, so if Sibley is not all he is made out to be, he will be  given a bicycle and a map.

1 minute ago, DavesaRam said:

I'm pretty much along the lines of Kokussnuss, in that he has hardly ever had the chance to play in his best position for any length of time. I have said may times that the opportunities he has had have been stuck out wide on one wing or the other, oe brought on from the bench, often too late to change the game. He needs to be played just behind the front one or two, and given the chance to run at defenders, because that is what he does best. He is also likely to let fly at the earliest opportunity, often before the defence are expecting it, and is how he has scored a number of his goals. He would also benefit playing off a strong centre forward, picking up the knock-downs and lay-offs, but hasn't had the opportunity. As I have also said, it is the Derby way - Vydra would have been deadly playing off Chris Martin, but the two never played together, and for a while Vydra was only ever playing out of position, even as a lone target man on a few occasions! When we did put him in his best position, he started to flourish. We did it with Weimmann, who was only ever used out on the wing. When he went to Bristol they played him down the middle and he started scoring goals. Funny that.  Let's hope Warne gives him a good run where he should be playing. I don't think Warne will mess about, or rest on sentiment, so if Sibley is not all he is made out to be, he will be  given a bicycle and a map.

But what do you think ?