The Sibley Enigma

sage

21 hours ago, angieram said:

Yes, it's usually the 1884 lot, I think. They keep us going at away games and have a much broader repertoire than the South Stand!

The South stand made a valiant effort v Exeter to sing the “Spirit in the sky “ song . Much loved by Man Utd fans referring to George Best. The chant ends exalting the 2 Div 1 titles. We are not “Living in the past “ are we like Florists ?

Just wanted to say that whilst I think he struggles, nothing would please me more than for him to prove me wrong and become a Derby hero.

Yesterday I heard fans yelling at him from the moment he came on, mostly without due cause.

The lad’s never going to get better if his own fans can’t support him.

14 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Just wanted to say that whilst I think he struggles, nothing would please me more than for him to prove me wrong and become a Derby hero.

Yesterday I heard fans yelling at him from the moment he came on, mostly without due cause.

The lad’s never going to get better if his own fans can’t support him.

He also looked like he darent go near any of their players to try and win the ball - the tackling comment/telling off for yellow card? Looked shadow of himself

29 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'd have rather seen Sibley start the game than Dobbin, who flatters to deceive and is much less of a team player! 

Yeah, I love the Dobbin we saw against Exeter but yesterday he was back to the tentative version.

He should have smashed the ball in the net after McGoldrick’s effort was blocked and he fluffed it.

He needs to add goals to his game, as does Sibley.

45 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'd have rather seen Sibley start the game than Dobbin, who flatters to deceive and is much less of a team player! 

The problem we have RoyMac5 is you can say the same about Sibley he as flattered to deceive for to long now and we have had numerous managers in charge and everyone as refrained from selecting him for any period of time

50 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Dobbin looks much more of a threat on the  wing rather than as a striker. His confidence looks a little low at the moment but I can  see a good player in there. Sibley can't start just because he is our player, he needs pushing to get the best out of him. 

2 hours ago, ramboy63 said:

The problem we have RoyMac5 is you can say the same about Sibley he as flattered to deceive for to long now and we have had numerous managers in charge and everyone as refrained from selecting him for any period of time

But he's our player and I'd rather he had a decent run in the team - has he ever had one then? Plus the numerous managers bit, he's a young player you can't expect him to be 'fully formed'. Oh and he did look good when Hourihane was out injured.

Edited by RoyMac5

4 hours ago, CBRammette said:

He also looked like he darent go near any of their players to try and win the ball - the tackling comment/telling off for yellow card? Looked shadow of himself

Definitely looked a bit chastened and got run off the ball a couple of times but there was a good tackle when he chased back hard from central in to our box to recover a situation and we cleared well because of it.  It certainly looked then, like he was saying “look boss I can tackle”. Still got something to prove but he’s young and needs our support

Edited by jono

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I can’t say either way but Dobbin is improving. Early days I couldn’t see what the fuss was about, but against Exeter he looked very dangerous. Yesterday wasn’t quite so good but he was up with play and put himself about well. One of McG’s chances that he took on himself would have been better if he’d played Dobbin in. Dobbs was perfectly placed for an easy finish

18 minutes ago, jono said:

I can’t say either way but Dobbin is improving. Early days I couldn’t see what the fuss was about, but against Exeter he looked very dangerous. Yesterday wasn’t quite so good but he was up with play and put himself about well. One of McG’s chances that he took on himself would have been better if he’d played Dobbin in. Dobbs was perfectly placed for an easy finish

Sibley would have scored the one Dobbin missed. It's as easy to say. Dobbin runs with the ball and very rarely passes, if the same with Sibley I bet he gets more shots off. Was very impressed with Sibs deadball delivery when Hourihane was out. I really think he tackles better than Warne is even joking about. If Dobbin is tracking back as much as Sibs can we expect to see him at LWB. Their stats are very similar, so why bring Dobbin through at Sibley's expense?

Edited by RoyMac5

31 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

What are their best positions?

I’ve liked Dobbin on the LHS front and prefer Sibley more central. Dobbin is more flexible / adaptable while Sibley is more dangerous when he has space to move in either direction. When he’s wide he gets forced wider still and can lose the ball. 
That’s a pretty basic gut reaction from a handful of passages of play that stick in my mind

41 minutes ago, angieram said:

I agree, @jono. Don't want to see Sibley starting wide, he's better centrally. 

On recent form, Warne got the call right yesterday. Will he risk him Tuesday instead of Hourihane? He's great to have in there for set plays, but might leave Bird exposed for cover. 

I think he will, as no Knight. The only other option might be Tommo as I get the feeling Warne likes Tommo’s work rate. He is a great terrier and with McG and Collins as a two he won’t be there to be a goal threat