The Sibley Enigma

sage

Been doing very well at LB. Keeping Roberts on the bench. Best defence in L1 which is amazing when you consider the RB is a midfielder, the LB is an attacking MF whose best position may be at 10, one centre half started out his footballing life as a left winger, became a left half, then a LWB, then a LB and is now probably having the best stint of his career at CH (I wonder if Wildsmith is starting to get worried ?  ) The other CH is the only one of the back 4 who is playing in his "proper" position.

Nice pre-match interview with Sibley, talks well about adapting to the left back role, how he’s worked to improve aspects of his game as well as being more disciplined, and also how keen the back four are to do well and keep clean sheets. Adds to my understanding of why Warne is persisting with playing Sibley and Smith at fullback, if it ain’t broke type thing, they’re working well as a unit and putting in the extra effort to stay consistent, love it ? 

• 2 months later...

It’s done him no harm at LB, he’s learnt about positioning and how he can help the team. Said this a little while back but I think he’s learnt more under Warne than any other manager we’ve had.

But yes stick him further forward now please and let him mix his raw potential we’ve seen with that bit of nous he’s got from LB

Square pegs in square holes please.

It's a bit unfortunate for Louie that his best position is the one currently occupied by our Player of the Season so far.

It's also difficult for him to come in and play anywhere near that level with a few snatched moments here and there.

But Louie is our future. If I were him, I'd be learning every little thing I could from McGoldrick and looking to be his natural successor. 

How would people like to see him used in the team? Hard not to play him on the back of a 2 goal performance today, and Warne also praised his effort’s off the ball in shutting down Brannagan.
Just wonder how people see that jigsaw put together with all players fit and available? 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

It's a bit unfortunate for Louie that his best position is the one currently occupied by our Player of the Season so far.

It's also difficult for him to come in and play anywhere near that level with a few snatched moments here and there.

But Louie is our future. If I were him, I'd be learning every little thing I could from McGoldrick and looking to be his natural successor. 

Love Louie. Admire him so much for getting on with it at LB and think he was instrumental to that long run with the excellent defensive record. But so happy for him today to get to play where he enjoys and get 2 goals. 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I will post in this awfully named thread. I am not convinced that Sibley is a number 10 striker, though McGoldrick doesn't half love dropping deep, so maybe Didzy is indeed really a midfielder. I think Louie's position is in midfield, from box to box, as he has such great ability to carry the ball at a terrified opposition. And, as Warne said today, Louie was specifically tasked with shadowing Brannagan "who's their best player by a country mile". But I certainly think that this Derby team is best when McGoldrick and Sibley are both playing in it, in attacking positions. We struggle to play McGoldrick and Collins together, so the obvious way to improve our attacking threat without two supposed out and out strikers, is to play McGoldrick and Sibley together. Louie is our future but I'd like to see him and McGoldrick playing off each other around the opposition box, for the remainder of this season and, hopefully, next year in the Championship.

3 hours ago, angieram said:

I think he will be staying and macgoldick to boot and warn says been working with younger members of the team and all good.

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I will post in this awfully named thread. I am not convinced that Sibley is a number 10 striker, though McGoldrick doesn't half love dropping deep, so maybe Didzy is indeed really a midfielder. I think Louie's position is in midfield, from box to box, as he has such great ability to carry the ball at a terrified opposition. And, as Warne said today, Louie was specifically tasked with shadowing Brannagan "who's their best player by a country mile". But I certainly think that this Derby team is best when McGoldrick and Sibley are both playing in it, in attacking positions. We struggle to play McGoldrick and Collins together, so the obvious way to improve our attacking threat without two supposed out and out strikers, is to play McGoldrick and Sibley together. Louie is our future but I'd like to see him and McGoldrick playing off each other around the opposition box, for the remainder of this season and, hopefully, next year in the Championship.

I think McGoldrick for all his talents might be a difficult guy to play alongside. 

Loved Sibley’s post match interview where he told everyone AM is where he wants to play. Sure Warne was pleased to hear that

Warne on the other hand managed to make Sibleys two excellent goals about Warne: Haha I told sibbo I wish he’d scored another because if he had I’d have been manager of the month.  More careless flippancy from Warne in his interviews - I wish he didn’t try so hard to be cute and quirky. 

10 hours ago, angieram said:

Playing at left back will have done him the world of good especially when to make a challenge, what the defender doesn’t want to do etc and the need to be stronger and disciplined

27 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I think McGoldrick for all his talents might be a difficult guy to play alongside. 

Loved Sibley’s post match interview where he told everyone AM is where he wants to play. Sure Warne was pleased to hear that

Warne on the other hand managed to make Sibleys two excellent goals about Warne: Haha I told sibbo I wish he’d scored another because if he had I’d have been manager of the month.  More careless flippancy from Warne in his interviews - I wish he didn’t try so hard to be cute and quirky. 

Oh please lay off. I’d rather Warne was how he is than another clichee ridden clone like so many managers we hear.

Sibbs is a better attacking player than he is elsewhere, he has attributes that he is gradually learning to use to the best,  but he is still a young man learning his craft. He isn’t an automatic in any position , he is developing. He’s got great potential Yesterday was another great step on the way. As @angieramsaid, he is the future, the sort of player we need in a growing improving club. 

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I understand where you are coming from , but I don’t think Warne is trying to be cute , I just think he is very open and honest. What you see is what you get . I am suprised it has took Warne so long to see what a good finisher Sibley is. But after 2 years of Rooney trying to destroy his confidence , Sibley will take any chance he can get. ( By the way Plymouth play with 2/3 players at No 10 at the same time).

3 hours ago, jono said:

Oh please lay off. I’d rather Warne was how he is than another clichee ridden clone like so many managers we hear.

Sibbs is a better attacking player than he is elsewhere, he has attributes that he is gradually learning to use to the best,  but he is still a young man learning his craft. He isn’t an automatic in any position , he is developing. He’s got great potential Yesterday was another great step on the way. As @angieramsaid, he is the future, the sort of player we need in a growing improving club. 

Agree with your comments about Sibley and apologies if you thought I was saying anything different