The Sibley Enigma

sage

6 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I’m making a serious point and sorry it’s made people angry. Careless talk by managers can pi$$ off players (duh) and I think he’s prone to trying to be cute and quirky without thinking how his comments resonate in the dressing room. It’s not about him. It’s all about the team, the club, the results. Don’t want a personality manager especially one on a long contract because if that’s what you’ve got and things don’t go to plan you’re not in a good place to fix them.  I just want him to be more boring it’s not a lot to ask

I do see your point but on the other hand, that quirk can actually keep dressing rooms together. An affection for the “boss” having a personality rather than a dry tactician./ PE Teacher ( here he goes again - laugh emoji etc etc ) They know he’s serious but if the message is delivered to a group of young men in terms that they relate to then it has to be good. The world has changed .. a boss is still a boss but they have to have a link with the group beyond status and pecking orders. 

4 minutes ago, jono said:

I do see your point but on the other hand, that quirk can actually keep dressing rooms together. An affection for the “boss” having a personality rather than a dry tactician./ PE Teacher ( here he goes again - laugh emoji etc etc ) They know he’s serious but if the message is delivered to a group of young men in terms that they relate to then it has to be good. The world has changed .. a boss is still a boss but they have to have a link with the group beyond status and pecking orders. 

I suspect he’s rather good with his direct handling of the players. My point is about the outward facing comms: far too much about the image he wants to project of himself, so not enough thought goes into the effect of what he says on the dressing room  

28 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’s like stand up comedy and the manager has the microphone. He talks about the player to the media. If the player really objects to what he says, then that’s a problem in the dressing room. It’s not about knowing the players. It’s a bit more obvious than that 

I just don't see this. What is he saying that could cause any players offense?! I get the sense that Warne will say to the players the same things he says to the media - he's actually very careful not to put players and will say stuff like 'i was talking to a player last week who needs to XYZ'. If you don't like his approach then fine, I just don't see any players being that precious about it.

13 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

That's the theory. Don't think he's looked at his better for a lot of his play this season, particularly his last few games, one or two games he's really shone. But maybe I'm mis-remembering. We miss Birdy much more.

ps I watched John McGovern play.

John McGovern was great at coming up with the goods when it counted. (25 yarder with a leather ball the weight of a medicine ball, Winner in last game of 71-72 season.) usually but with occasional howlers (back pass vs Arsenal in 2nd FA cup replay)

I too saw John McG.

I've enjoyed Sibley's growing pains into an exciting prospect too!

14 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

John McGovern was great at coming up with the goods when it counted. (25 yarder with a leather ball the weight of a medicine ball, Winner in last game of 71-72 season.) usually but with occasional howlers (back pass vs Arsenal in 2nd FA cup replay)

I too saw John McG.

I've enjoyed Sibley's growing pains into an exciting prospect too!

I agree about Sibs, but the comment was about Knighty.

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I agree about Sibs, but the comment was about Knighty.

I do think Knight has played his consistently best football this season at right back. I wanted him in the middle as I thought he would give us control there, but as far as I have seen the games have been passing him by a lot. And without the goal threat we have from both Hourihane and Sibley when they're in midfield. For Fleetwood, I wouldn't be averse to trying Knight at RB again and having Smith anchor the midfield, with Sibs and Hourihane further forward.

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I do think Knight has played his consistently best football this season at right back. I wanted him in the middle as I thought he would give us control there, but as far as I have seen the games have been passing him by a lot. And without the goal threat we have from both Hourihane and Sibley when they're in midfield. For Fleetwood, I wouldn't be averse to trying Knight at RB again and having Smith anchor the midfield, with Sibs and Hourihane further forward.

McGovern used to be given man marking jobs by Clough. I'd love to see Knight given the job of man marking an opposition player. Knight would close him down if he went for a slash at half time!

I don't wish to fly in the face of popular consensus but during the first half, other than the goals, he was dreadful at Oxford. Continuously losing the ball 

The goals seemed to give some confidence and he was decent second half.

I've said this a thousand times, but he does a couple of things very well but numerous other aspects of his game are very poor.

He is improving his propensity to commit silly fouls but now he needs to get his head up when running with the ball so he runs into less cul de sacs and picks put better passes.

It will be interesting to see him teamed up with Didzy. It could go one way or the other.

37 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

McGovern used to be given man marking jobs by Clough. I'd love to see Knight given the job of man marking an opposition player. Knight would close him down if he went for a slash at half time!

He played a fair bit as a man marker for Cocu, particularly good away at Norwich were he never gave Buendia a kick.  His ability to slot in has been at a detriment to his progression.  Rooney spent a year jamming him out wide then switching him back to midfield for 25 minutes  for some reason every game which totally bolloxed him for the last 3rd of the 20/21 season.  Then full back this season followed by a month on the bench.  

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He played a fair bit as a man marker for Cocu, particularly good away at Norwich were he never gave Buendia a kick.  His ability to slot in has been at a detriment to his progression.  Rooney spent a year jamming him out wide then switching him back to midfield for 25 minutes  for some reason every game which totally bolloxed him for the last 3rd of the 20/21 season.  Then full back this season followed by a month on the bench.  

Knight plays right of 4 in the Ireland midfield with an out and out winger on the other side.

I would agree that his best performances have been at right back this season and I'd like to see him have a few games at wing back if we play that system again.

He needs space in front of him when on the ball. His touch isn't good enough for DCM.

Hmm sibs seems to struggle with consistency, He'll have a great game and then disappear off the face of the earth for a while till next time.

Hope he can have a good run of games and get some good form. Deffo got the ability. And it seems his stint at Left back has stopped him getting stupid bookings all the time. 

On 13/03/2023 at 22:01, JPRamFan said:

If we tried to play Didzy and Sibley together, would they not just be occupying each other's space. Didzy's strength is dropping deep for the ball, he is not really suited to playing as a 9.

Brighton are having a great season with  2 players in the No10 position and 2 wide players . Plymouth often play with 3 players at no10. Sibley and McGoldrick can finish . So get them the ball in the box. Warne can try things out against the pudding teams. Can’t do much worse against the top six.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Brighton are having a great season with  2 players in the No10 position and 2 wide players . Plymouth often play with 3 players at no10. Sibley and McGoldrick can finish . So get them the ball in the box. Warne can try things out against the pudding teams. Can’t do much worse against the top six.

You may have a point there, most teams in this division have a couple of tall 6'5" centre backs, which deal with our high balls with ease, 2 no10s could be a bit more of a challenge on the turf.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Brighton make it work by playing wing backs. 

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Is it? Or was it the system that worked at Rotherham with their resources?

Depends on how long he used wingbacks for at Rotherham - was it something he adopted in his final season because those were the players available or was he predominantly playing with wingbacks throughout most of his tenure.

Either way I'd suggest that by your 6th season in charge you know your budget and your preferred style well enough that they should align, it's plenty of time to get the type of players you want regardless of budget - especially after a few money-spinning seasons in a league above your natural level.

Edited by Kokosnuss

18 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Either way I'd suggest that by your 6th season in charge you know your budget and your preferred style well enough that they should align, it's plenty of time to get the type of players you want regardless of budget - especially after a few money-spinning seasons in a league above your natural level.

However we are only his second job in football management, so maybe a change is being enjoyed...