The Sibley Enigma

sage

The biggest compliment I would give Sibley today was he actually looked like a wing back. His positioning understandably is still not perfect, but his tackling was so much better, the rashness just not there and the tackle to break up their breakaway was brilliant.

He even took a defenders pro booking lol.

Hopefully he is back in midfield at some stage but he looked the part today.

On 12/12/2022 at 21:25, bucktwo said:

I reckon he may end up being a left wing back in Warnes team once he has had time to build it . 

That’s what I thought watching the game today.  He’s always had the attacking instinct but playing at left back has taught him the defensive part of the game.  Both are needed for the wing back role.  I think his crossing and tackling have improved considerably over the last couple of months which is a credit to him and Warne’s coaching staff.

16 hours ago, Srg said:

He was great today. Helped he was played in what seemed like a 40 yard exclusion zone like, but he did use it well. 

I'm rather hoping Warne has found his best position. Like the above it's tempered with the space FGR gave him but if he can continue in that form that's where he should play. 

10 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm rather hoping Warne has found his best position. Like the above it's tempered with the space FGR gave him but if he can continue in that form that's where he should play. 

He had a very good game yesterday but I’m still not convinced that is his best position. This was a poor FGR side that allowed him plenty of space and threatened little down the flanks. Against a better team he will find it a lot tougher.

Think Warne definitely does see something in him as looks like hes willing to persevere with him as a  FB/WB which is possibly the  key position in all of his teams.

Whilst might not be in the role most of us expected, he finally playing regularly which is key for his development.

One big improvement is his game is his discipline. In past you always knew he'd react to a foul which saw teams target him like at Florest last year. Whilst earlier in the season there were signs that nothing had changed, since Warne arrived he seems to have adopted much calmer approach, which was one of the key areas he needed to improve.

I thought he was excellent yesterday. The fact that Warne is playing him instead of Roberts speaks volumes I think. I would say that playing left back in 4 will be the hardest thing for him to get used to because it’s a pure defensive position BUT it will stand him in good stead when we move to 3-5-2 because a wing back is a hybrid position with some defensive responsibilities but a lot more requirement to get up and down the pitch. That’s when Sibleys energy and ability on the ball will come to the fore. The experience he is getting as a left back will give him the experience he needs in the defensive aspects of the position. So in essence what I’m saying is that Warne is developing him to play left wing back

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

I thought he was excellent yesterday. The fact that Warne is playing him instead of Roberts speaks volumes I think. I would say that playing left back in 4 will be the hardest thing for him to get used to because it’s a pure defensive position BUT it will stand him in good stead when we move to 3-5-2 because a wing back is a hybrid position with some defensive responsibilities but a lot more requirement to get up and down the pitch. That’s when Sibleys energy and ability on the ball will come to the fore. The experience he is getting as a left back will give him the experience he needs in the defensive aspects of the position. So in essence what I’m saying is that Warne is developing him to play left wing back.

Bingo! ?