Are we too nice?

Anag Ram

As I read this forum it’s clear that it’s very important to many posters that we are seen as the good guys.

We hope that our team will be filled with fresh-faced lads from the academy. As soon as an old favourite ends their playing career we hope they will join the coaching staff.

When a former player is available everyone wants him back.

We like nice managers and no sooner have we waved a tearful bye to LR, who was a beacon of decency, we are now taken by PW who seems very jolly.

Our team has always played lovely neat football and rarely resorts to the dark arts.

When we got new management after a miserable period, many said they would settle for mid-table mediocrity.

Are our players, staff and fans too nice to find success?

I think you’ll find we are about to be less nice under Warne.

On the pitch at least don’t think there is anything wrong with old players etc staying with the club in fact personally like the fact if a club sticks with them and they become a bigger part of it.

Edited by Derby_Dave

Too nice to succeed? Too much of a soft touch to be truly ambitious?

I can see what you mean, Derby sides have often been a bit of a soft touch.

I just wouldn't want to think being a little more ruthless doesn't have to come at the expense of trying to play the game the right way.

90s Man u for example were not shy of the ruthless streak and are remembered as great, Leeds of the 70s however are remembered as dirty Leeds.

I think DCFC is a "nice" club to be associated with - generally club/fans are good natured, funny, loyal and a bit nuts (you have to be). I think one of many things that annoyed me about the MM era was the pure spite and hate directed towards our club. It hurt that noone could see beyond what he had done. Nobody else connected to the club deserved it so perhaps we are keen to show our club in its true light like previously and hence we currently value "nice"

Nowt wrong with being nice, Except for a period of some 100 minutes of football for this coming seasons fixtures, I don't like to see our players out run, Out fought, Out thought or out muscled off the ball, I want to know that who we play when they come off the pitch they're not looking forward to the return fixture, You can win a game before a ball is kicked ? 

What we’ve long needed is one of those rarities in modern football - a belligerent, aggressive little scouser - Sir Brian’s description of Willie Carlin.

For all Dave Mackay’s brilliance and impact I still think it was Willie that made that 2nd division team the force it was. He didn’t last too long in the 1st division, replaced by the even better Archie Gemmill who was probably even more belligerent.  Find an Archie and we could rule the world.

Just from the little I've seen of Warne and his team, as friendly, honest and nice as they seem I have no doubt he will be a hard bar steward when he needs to be.  I get the impression he won't suffer fools gladly.  May take a few weeks but I think he will instil a hardness to our team that'll make us even tougher opposition.  Rotherham always battled hard and never gave up.  Overall we have better players than Rotherham so that, plus a hardened mentality will, I'm sure improve us further.  Hopefully we'll put teams to the sword, smiling nicely whilst we do so.

The Shining GIF 

Indeed we are - as I mentioned in the Paul Warne thread. The very best teams are also the most "professional". If Manchester City are on the ropes or facing a vociferous crowd away from home, Ederson knows to fall to the ground injured for three or four minutes to completely take the sting out of the game. With a keeper involved the ref has no choice but to go along with it and bring the trainer on. The Wycombe keeper did the same thing to us in the last game.

We hardly ever get penalties as our players are normally too embarrassed to appeal for them for some reason. The whole team has to go up for something, not a half-hearted appeal from an individual. And if you're fouled, cry out in pain to attract the ref's attention. 

And before you can play you have to win your physical battles and that includes showing the opposition you're not going to be intimidated. And trying to physically intimidate your opponent. Also, I don't think our players have had sufficient protection from referees so far this season. Maybe that's a League One thing, but whatever the reason, when you're a team you make sure to protect each other. 

Edited by Carl Sagan

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

As I read this forum it’s clear that it’s very important to many posters that we are seen as the good guys.

We hope that our team will be filled with fresh-faced lads from the academy. As soon as an old favourite ends their playing career we hope they will join the coaching staff.

When a former player is available everyone wants him back.

We like nice managers and no sooner have we waved a tearful bye to LR, who was a beacon of decency, we are now taken by PW who seems very jolly.

Our team has always played lovely neat football and rarely resorts to the dark arts.

When we got new management after a miserable period, many said they would settle for mid-table mediocrity.

Are our players, staff and fans too nice to find success?

What an absolute load o' codswallop! 
You're talking bullox, yer gret cretin!
You need to take yer head out yer ar5e, and see us for what we really...  no... sorry... I can't do this... yeah, we are nice, to be fair...

#We're nice, and we know we are!  ?

6 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

What we’ve long needed is one of those rarities in modern football - a belligerent, aggressive little scouser - Sir Brian’s description of Willie Carlin.

For all Dave Mackay’s brilliance and impact I still think it was Willie that made that 2nd division team the force it was. He didn’t last too long in the 1st division, replaced by the even better Archie Gemmill who was probably even more belligerent.  Find an Archie and we could rule the world.

Jason Knight has a wee bit of that about him. Warney will want him to wind the opposition up I reckon.

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Jason Knight has a wee bit of that about him. Warney will want him to wind the opposition up I reckon.

I think the way he wins those cheap free kicks all the while does wind them up! He's like a more subtle version of Chris Martin.

He has such an innocent look about him when he does the refs fall for it every time.

As I said ?

Paul Wanes non negotiables

"There are loads of non-negotiables," he said. "They have to be good people. They have to be polite and want to learn. They have to be brave enough to stick their hand up if they don't understand. They have to run until they can't. There is no excuse for not running. If you don't run then you just can't play.

"They have to be prepared to be brave on the ball if they are having a bad time. They have to cross it, they have to attack set-pieces, they have got to put their bodies on the line and at times, as an individual, they have to put the team before themselves.