Are we too nice?

Anag Ram

Think this has definitely been the case over the last couple of years but that probably stems from having a very young team and having nice men in Cocu/Rosenior in charge and a managerial novice in Rooney. 

I have no issues with us performing the dark arts to get results. The amount of times we've been on the ropes especially last season and i was crying out for someone to go up for a header and then drop to the floor to take the sting out of the match, but it never happened. 

Think Warne has the perfect balance of being a genuinely nice man but happy to poohouse and use every trick in the book to get the win. 

Edited by TomTom92

One of my pet gripes - and has been for years - is when players sprint towards the ref when there's a contentious decision like a potential red card.

Teams do it to us all the time and yet we don't do it at all (even when there's been a truly shocking challenge). And I don't see what's to gain from not doing it - having a nice reputation doesn't get you points and it's not going to stop other teams from this sort of gamesmanship either.

On 29/09/2022 at 15:34, Anag Ram said:

As I read this forum it’s clear that it’s very important to many posters that we are seen as the good guys.

We hope that our team will be filled with fresh-faced lads from the academy. As soon as an old favourite ends their playing career we hope they will join the coaching staff.

When a former player is available everyone wants him back.

We like nice managers and no sooner have we waved a tearful bye to LR, who was a beacon of decency, we are now taken by PW who seems very jolly.

Our team has always played lovely neat football and rarely resorts to the dark arts.

When we got new management after a miserable period, many said they would settle for mid-table mediocrity.

Are our players, staff and fans too nice to find success?

No our lack of success in recent years is a result of failing to find the right squad to go with the right coach. Simple. Came pretty close with Lampard. 
Needs a bit of luck and an absence of incompetence to find success. Under Morris we had no luck and plenty of incompetence 

Of course we are  - look at the mentality Cooper has instilled in his players at Forest, win at all costs.

Isn't coincidental that so far in the Premier League we've seen 2 x goals saved by defenders cynically handballing, defenders literally rugby tackling opposition players in added time to stop them breaking away and a totally blatant premeditated agricultural foul on Richarlison when they got mardy that they couldn't get the ball back off Tottenham.

Cooper has obviously also instilled in then the right way to foul as well to avoid being red carded but still have the desired effect. 

It makes my piss boil but if you're in a street scrap there's no point using Marquis of Queensbury rules to prove you're the better person. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think that we had the answer to this question yesterday. Vale's players' play acting and bullying of the ref clearly swung the game.

Our recruitment policy has led to the signing of the 'right' sort of players, those who mix well and have good attitudes, maybe a couple of 'nasty' players are also required? Vale seemed to have a team full of them.

Whatever happened to the directive of players not surrounding the ref, will Vale be charged with a clear breach of this rule?